South Florida Babies

Car Seat Issue - Need More Advice

I tested out the new Chicco with the City Mini adapter and, although I followed the instructions and checked the boards for tips, I still didn't feel that comfortable with the setup.  Even after the car seat "clicks" into the adapter, I can still wiggle it out of the adapter.

So, I passed by BBB and they had a City Mini with the universal adapter and the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio on the floor.  I much preferred the way that this car seat fits into the City Mini.  After it "clicks" into the adapter, there is no way to maneuver it out of the adapter without clicking the release button.  It seems much more secure to me than the Chicco.

I also double checked and the only issues with a used car seat is the expiration date and if it's been in an accident.  This car seat is from 2009 and still on the market and it hasn't been in an accident (it was in a car that was barely used).  

So, I am now considering returning the Chicco, exchanging the base and adapter for the ones compatible with the Peg Perego, and possibly using the credit towards a breast pump (or at least saving it to see if I'll need a BP) since that is the only big-ticket item I am still missing.  What do you think?   

Re: Car Seat Issue - Need More Advice

• BTW, if we decide to return the Chicco, DH wants to use the credit at BB&B for a pet roomba, lol.  He brings up a good point.  With a baby, we're not going to have time to sweep up dog hair as often as we do now!
  • After reading your dilemma about the Mini, I would DEF return the Chicco... I'd hate for something to happen to baby b/c of silly adapter.  I'd keep the credit for future purchases, including diapers, formula, baby food, etc... it will eventually be used.

Your DH brings up another good point... I've heard great things about the Roombas.   

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think safety has to be your priority, and it sounds like you have a good gut feeling about what's right. I'd switch out the car seats!
  • imageMrsJOSEnADRI:
    BTW, if we decide to return the Chicco, DH wants to use the credit at BB&B for a pet roomba, lol.  He brings up a good point.  With a baby, we're not going to have time to sweep up dog hair as often as we do now!

i think you should stick with the peg perego!

btw, what kind of dog do you have?  because we had a pet roomba and so did my cousin and it got clogged really easily.  We both had 40 lb dogs- and it would do half a room and then you'd have to change the filter.  definitely a waste of money!

• Jen, we have two pomeranians (6 lb and 12 lb).  They shed soooo much, especially in the summer.  I was concerned about the clogging issue.  Our floors are super easy to sweep, but we have to sweep every couple of days to maintain it clear of dog hair. 

I'm leaning towards sticking to the Peg Perego.  I feel like it's more secure with the City Mini.  I'll take everything with me to BBB and double check the floor models.  I'm also going to have a car seat tech install the seat so I think she'll be able to tell me if there's an issue with the used Peg Perego. 

• Jackie and anyone else with the Peg Perego:  Is the handle an issue when it's installed in the car.  Someone on the Baby Gear board mentioned that it had to be in the down position when installed in the car and that was too much for her to handle????
  • imageMrsJOSEnADRI:
    Jackie and anyone else with the Peg Perego:  Is the handle an issue when it's installed in the car.  Someone on the Baby Gear board mentioned that it had to be in the down position when installed in the car and that was too much for her to handle????
    Umm.... I'm not sure why she would have an issue unless her car has a REALLY low roof. We have a Mecury Sable and I always have the handle up since I have hanging toys for him to look at. It's a little tricky at first to raise and lower the bar in the car with just the 2 hands but once you get the hang of it it's fine. It is a heavy seat, that's the only down side but I like to think it's cause it's well made :)
    TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • I just read the post where the girl responded to you about the handle bar issue. I don't know what he's talking about. We drive the car with the bar up all the time. If it's for visibility purposes then it doesn't matter anyway if your going to keep the sunshad up cuase they are the same height and lock in the same place.
    TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • imageMrs.HisOnly:
    I just read the post where the girl responded to you about the handle bar issue. I don't know what he's talking about. We drive the car with the bar up all the time. If it's for visibility purposes then it doesn't matter anyway if your going to keep the sunshad up cuase they are the same height and lock in the same place.

Just a thought: Did that poster mean it was for safety reasons? I thought I had heard somewhere that car seat handles, regardless of brand, should be down when in the car. From what DH and I both understand from the Chicco Keyfit manual, though, it can be in any of the locked positions. The key is the locked part. However, the car seat installation tech at the fire station yesterday said it needed to be in the down position. I'm not sure what's right, but maybe that's where that whole train of thought came from. 

• lol...  idk why she made a big deal about the handle  i figured it's the same with all car seat.  it does feel heavier than the chicco, but the guy at bbb mentioned that they both weigh the same amount.  sorry for stressing this so much.  i am starting to get anxious
  • Some car seats are only "safe" with the handle in certain positions when installed.  You should check the instruction manual.

Our Safe Seat has like 4 different handle positions but position C or something isn't safe.

They can all be different.  Some of it is that the car seat may not have been crash tested in X position.  Or that there really is definite safety concern.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTayLynn:

Some car seats are only "safe" with the handle in certain positions when installed.  You should check the instruction manual.

Our Safe Seat has like 4 different handle positions but position C or something isn't safe.

They can all be different.  Some of it is that the car seat may not have been crash tested in X position.  Or that there really is definite safety concern.

Thanks for the info.  I will look for this info and I'll ask the car seat tech about it.  It's just that one of the bumpies made it seems like it was very difficult to put the handle in the "safe" position when the Peg Perego is installed in the car.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"