Multiples
Options

FMLA quest for those that took themselves out of work early

I feel like i'm to the point where I am done with work but i really don't want to go out too soon before the babies get here. My internal yesterday showed my cervix is softening and thinning but still closed. Dr said baby A is engaged and she could feel his head. She thinks i still might have another week or so.

My question is, if you took yourself out early how long did you stay out with your babies? I plan on taking the full 12wks.

Thanks~

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: FMLA quest for those that took themselves out of work early

• Options
    I went out June 24 for bed rest and planned to stay out the full 90 days, which would have been Sept. 21. I ended up going back this past Monday. The girls were born July 5 and were 10 weeks old when I went back. I would have waited the full time except that while I was on ML I got a promotion to a manager position in another department. The current employee's last day was today, and they preferred not to have any gap time. So, I went back part-time to my old position this week, worked 30ish hours, and will start FT at the new job on Monday.
  • Options
    my Ob took me out at 27 weeks- just because... he wanted me to rest up a lot so i didn't have preemies.... i made it to 38w so it seemed to work! He wrote me out for a "risk of PTL" which ever twin pg has.... it was all covered under STD - fully paid - and then i took 20 weeks for maternity leave.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I got 16 weeks of FMLA (I think this varies from company to company), 8 of which were covered under STD (paid at 60%).  I would contact your HR Rep to see what they suggest.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Gratuitous Overshare Blog image
  • Options

imageebrooke:
    I got 16 weeks of FMLA (I think this varies from company to company), 8 of which were covered under STD (paid at 60%).  I would contact your HR Rep to see what they suggest.

FMLA does not vary from company to company in terms of length.  It is 12 weeks long, and a federal leave.  The only variation is who qualifies for it, which is dependent on how large your company is, etc.

My doctor took me out at Week 26 I think (it was in between weeks) just "because." It was to rest, etc. so I didn't have pre-term labor.  Similar to Goldie.  I was on STD.

Once the girls were born, I took 12 weeks from the day they were born under FMLA, and then 2 weeks personal leave unpaid.  I'm in NJ and they have a state law to give you an extra 6 weeks to bond with your baby- similar to CA so it's differnt. 

Didnt' really matter though because the week I was scheduled to return to work my office closed and I was laid off!  Worked out anyway since I was pretty sure I was going to be a SAHM.

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I believe that FMLA is 12 weeks no matter what (if your company qualifies).  But, FMLA just stipulates that you can take 12 weeks with job security -- whether or not you get paid depends on benefits, sick time, etc.

I stopped working at 35 weeks, and I had the girls at 36w6d.  I did not have any maternity benefits, but short-term disability generally covers 8 weeks after a cesarean.  However, my iron was very low and my BP very high after delivery, so my OB requested that I stay out until 10 weeks pp (with STD pay).

My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • Options

I was taken out by 12 weeks with the twins due the nature of my job and high stress level. I was losing a lot of weight in the begining of my pregnant (total of almost 28 lbs) so i was pulled on STD. I was concerned too about losing my job but my company did not let me go because they were afraid of lawsuit since they were AWFUL to me when I told them i was pregnant.

I was left on disability until STD ran out which happened to fall 2 weeks after my twins were born at 36 weeks and was turned over to LTD because I had complications in my delivery which turned in another full year because i ended up having another high risk pregnancy. My employer finally approached me on my twins 1st birthday (about 2 weeks before the new baby came) and asked if I prefered to be layed off or come back when the baby 12 weeks old. I opted to be laid off with package than unemployment

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"