3rd Trimester
Options

Swollen labia and clitoris

Hi all,

I am 32 weeks pregnant, and a couple of days ago I started experiencing burning and itchy at the entrance of my vagina. My clitoris feels like there are pins and needles being stuck in it. I looked at it with a mirror and my labia and clitoris is swollen. Luckily (or so I thought) I had a doctor's (midwife) appointment. She told me the sensation is probably from the extra discharge and to help the sensation in my clitoris, to not sit up straight but at an incline to reduce the pressure put on it.

Is anyone experiencing anything like this? Should I ask for a doctor? It's really uncomfortable. I take 2 to 3 baths a day to reduce the burning. HELP!

Thanks,

Tasha

Re: Swollen labia and clitoris

• Options
    uhhh, i had something similar after changing soaps and thought i was just irritated well after 3 cultures later my doc found out i have a bacterial infection so keep an eye on it. also a bath was the only thing that helped me too.
  • Options
    I dont have the burning and itching but mine is swollen for sure.. I had it with ds as well.. I feel it esp after I have been sitting for a while on the couch or car or when I have been sleeping.
    DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This sucks and yes, I have experienced this, as embarrassing as it is to admit!

I went to the OB and I do not have an infection, but was told that due to hormones and extra pressure put on the area, it just happens. There's nothing I can do to prevent it, but things he suggested that have "worked" (made me feel better, relieved some of the irritation) : Tucks pads (yes you can use them THERE, too) ice packs and instead of wiping, use a water/spray bottle and pat dry with toilet paper, so you do not irritate the area anymore. When cleaning, try to take a bath instead of a shower if you can. Soaking helps. Also, use a fragrant-free soap. 

(So these things will probably help you feel better, but if you're going to swell, you're going to swell - if that makes sense!!!)

I hope this answers your questions. I am sorry you are going through this. 

He also said that discharge is GOOD. So if you notice there's NOT any, perhaps you should make a call. 

ETA: Take some Tylenol, too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    well if you have had it before and it wasnt a big deal then there probably isnt much to worry about.
  • Options

imagebabycoe11:
    well if you have had it before and it wasnt a big deal then there probably isnt much to worry about.

sorry for this i thought it was PP. I am out of it!

• Options
    Perhaps it's just a simple yeast infection? I never had one before I was pregnant so I had no idea that the burning and itching along with the swollen everything was in fact, a yeast infection. I would say ask your Dr. just to be sure, but some meds cleared it up quick and I was much happier!
  • Options
    Mine has been swollen, and I've had the bacterial infection off and on the entire pregnancy. I say ask the doctor. The swelling is probably normal, the burning and itching isn't. And yes, baths are feel great.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"