1st Trimester
Options

Feel like passing out when I stand up?

Every time I stand up... even slowly, I walk about two steps before my head pounds, my eyes see black, and I feel very dizzy. I always have to grab onto a wall or something close by until I regain my composure. Any ideas why??

Re: Feel like passing out when I stand up?

• Options

your blood pressure could be low.  I have low blood pressure anyway, and that happens all the time to me.  I suggest getting it checked.

• Options
    How would I fix that if that were the case? Can you actually pass out from this??
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, you can pass out from it momentarily. It's called orthostatic hypotension -- just stand up slowly.  If you're getting up from laying, sit first, then stand.
    BabyGaga
    Pregnancy # 6
    4 missed chances
    2 loving children
    1 on the way
  • Options

NurseMom is right about the orthostatic hypotension.  It has plagued me for years and is not getting any better in pregnancy.  Be sure to take it really slow when getting up. 

Also, be sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and are not dehydrated.  Being dehydrated decreases your blood volume and could also lead to oxygen supply issues. 

GL.  Hope it gets better!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have had this problem for as long as I can remember.  Everytime I have it checked my blood pressure is "perfect".  I didn't know it had a name.  I dont know if being pregnant has made it worse, but I did run into a wall the other day because my eyes went black - but I think it was because I was in a strange room and it was already dark.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageEros:

NurseMom is right about the orthostatic hypotension.  It has plagued me for years and is not getting any better in pregnancy.  Be sure to take it really slow when getting up. 

Also, be sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and are not dehydrated.  Being dehydrated decreases your blood volume and could also lead to oxygen supply issues. 

GL.  Hope it gets better!

this! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    diagnosed with heterozygous Factor V Leiden 2008; m/c 11/09 @ 5 1/2 wks; m/c 5/10 @ 4 1/2 wks; RLP testing done, diagnosed with antiphospholipid syn. and low progesterone; 7/10 started on Heparin injections & progesterone supps @ 3 dpo, BFP 8/9/10!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageCarbaby411:
    I have had this problem for as long as I can remember.  Everytime I have it checked my blood pressure is "perfect".  I didn't know it had a name.  I dont know if being pregnant has made it worse, but I did run into a wall the other day because my eyes went black - but I think it was because I was in a strange room and it was already dark.

To check for it, they need to get your BP while sitting/laying down, then again as soon as you stand. Being pregnant can make it worse simply b/c your blood volume is changing. It is definitely important to stay well hydrated and like PP said get up slowly! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    diagnosed with heterozygous Factor V Leiden 2008; m/c 11/09 @ 5 1/2 wks; m/c 5/10 @ 4 1/2 wks; RLP testing done, diagnosed with antiphospholipid syn. and low progesterone; 7/10 started on Heparin injections & progesterone supps @ 3 dpo, BFP 8/9/10!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    This happens to me everytime as well. I just close my eyes and hold on until it passes.
  • Options

I have low bp...so this is common for me even when not pregnant...my doctor has advised me to drink gatorade or salt my foods...it does help a bit!  If it is really bad from when you are sitting to standing, you may be advised to wear compression stockings, that helps the blood not pool in your legs therefore allowing more of it to be in your head and not get dizzy etc...

the other thing I do, is i move my calves, ankles around for a minute before getting up...to get the blood moving...i dont know if this helps, but again it seems like it may!

listen to your body!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"