South Florida Babies
Options

Copay to hospital - when?

I received a bill yesterday from my hospital, and when I called to verify what it was for (I had gone to L&D last wk for 4 hrs so wasn't sure if for that), they informed me it was for the upcoming labor.  Okay, I know the copay is necessary, but dude, technically my due date is Nov 28, and over 2 months away!  A bit excessive paying it now?!  How about if I end up delivering at another hospital for whatever reason? 

When did you clear your bill w/ hospital?

-- Jackie
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Copay to hospital - when?

• Options

Baptist send me a form saying that I needed to give them my deductible sometime before delivering. It was $700. I didn't pay it and I delivered J just fine. I figured they could bill me after he was born. Good thing too because what I owed Baptist was only $300. The remainder was to the OB & anesthesiologist who billed separate.

They can't deny you care.

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options

Baptist sent me the invoice and I paid it when I arrived at the hospital. You should be able to pay whenever you can!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That's what I figured!  I just found it so strange that they sent me the little envelope w/ "$500 copay" on it w/out an invoice or much explaination.  LOL  Looked like a church collection envelope w/ my name, and amount on it. 

Yeah, rather have the $ on my side until we deliver.  : )

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Oh, this whole prepay thing drives me crazy. I don't see how they can really be certain how much your final bill will be. I know doctors and hospitals get screwed out of a lot of money for a lot of things, but it feels a bit unfair for me to be charged some fee when the real cost of my labor/delivery might be higher or lower than that. 

We haven't received anything from the hospital yet (Boca Community), but I just sent the preregistration a couple of weeks ago. I won't be surprised to get one at some point before my due date. Luckily I've already met my deductible, so hopefully we won't have to prepay much, if anything.

• Options

We don't have a deductible, so all we pay is $30 copay to OB for all visits... plus the $500 copay for the hospital stay (assuming all services rendered are by doctors on the plan).  So, I think the pmt is fair... just think it is a little extreme to require payment 2 mo ahead of time. 

We preregistered last wk when I went to L&D, which is why I think the bill was triggered, so be prepared to see a bill soon.  :)

-- Jackie
  • Options
    Wow, your insurance sounds pretty good! I have a hefty deductible, but my employer provides reimbursement for all but a few hundred of that. Then, I have an out-of-pocket maximum, which is fine, but I'm sure the labor/delivery will be more than that and I can see them trying to get me to prepay more than what my max out-of-pocket is just because "they haven't billed the insurance yet so they can't verify my max, blah blah blah." These things are usually such a headache, in my experience. It would be much easier for them to bill my insurance so the insurance can tell them how much I'm really responsible for.
  • Options
    I preregistered for all three of my births and not once did I get a bill before hand (boca community), I refuse to pay anything until I see an itemized bill. Sebastian had surgery in February and am thankful I request itemized bill, west boca overcharged me by 11 thousand dollars!!!!!!!
  • Options

This is very typical to get the copay before. But like the other ladies mention, you don't have to pay it right away. With my 1st pregnancy, someone from the hospital came to my room while I was still there and they collected the $500. This time, no one came in so I've been waiting for a bill to be sent to me.

Does anyone know how long after delivery they received the bill from Baptist?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    We got the same letter from Baptist.  But, just like Justine, I figured they could just charge us at the hospital. 
  • Options
    we got all our bills mailed to us AFTER we delivered and were already home. not once was i charged entering or leaving the hospital. i delivered at memorial miramar...as justine said: they can't deny you care.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"