Preemies

Preemies traveling

When did you first travel with your preemie (actual and adjusted age)? How long was the flight? What did you do to prevent sickness?

DH's family lives in Italy and we want to go over there for xmas/new year's, but I am worried about the air and ppl in the airplane for 7 hours, plus we have to take 3 separate flights to get there. It might be too much for DD...she will be 5.5  mos actual and 3 mos adjusted. Our pedi said it depends on if she gets the shots for RSV, but even then I am slightly concerned. We have to get the tix soon, and I just don't know if it's a good idea or not. 

Re: Preemies traveling

• I think most pedis would tell you not to go. My DH's family lives in Canada. We always go visit in January. This year we've informed we won't be flying anywhere until DD is year old and it is summer time. DH will probably go visit alone at Christmas.

• I would not go. I refused to put DD on a plane until it was past RSV season. Planes are just so germy, with all that air circulating and stuff. And people will still fly if they are sick. We took her to FL in late April. She was 7 months actual, 5.5 mos adjusted. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was actually going to wait until he was 1 years old.  I am just protective.  We took a 2 1/2 hour trip to the inlaws over Labor Day weekend, and that was long enough--luckily he just slept the entire way and we did not have to worry about a diaper change or feeing until we got to the inlaws. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • We took a 4 hour car ride to see my dad and his family when Evan was.....around 2 months adjusted, so 6 months old. It was NOT fun, and we swore we wouldn't do it again for a long while. He was still on oxygen/monitor at that time, he was a high needs baby and we kept having to stop, and the 4 hour drive turned into like 6-7. We were incredibly exhausted, and it just wasn't worth it.

As for an airplane ride. wouldn't even enter my mind as a possiblitiy during RSV/influenza season.  DH's mom and dad live in Texas and were begging us to come down there for christmas. The answer was a firm NO. That's just us though, everyone has to decide for themselves what's best for their family.

• Still haven't flown with DS (20 months, 17 adjusted) and it freaks me out!
  • We flew from MI to CA the day after DS turned 1 (April), he was 8.5 mos adjusted. He did fine and didn't get sick or anything, but we had check ups 3 times in the 2 weeks following our trip to get approval to go. The last visit was the day before, and only then did they all finally say yes. I agree with the pp, I would not go during Flu/RSV season, especially her first one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They were just a few days under 4 months when we travelled to Spain. We did a lot of travelling. They are on the older side of the preemie spectrum but the pedi was fine with it. We were gone for 2 months and we did a bit of travelling between Spain-Russia and Spain-Italy. They did great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageFemmeFataleNat01:
    They were just a few days under 4 months when we travelled to Spain. We did a lot of travelling. They are on the older side of the preemie spectrum but the pedi was fine with it. We were gone for 2 months and we did a bit of travelling between Spain-Russia and Spain-Italy. They did great!

what time of year did you go?

Thanks everyone! This is kind of but kind of not a hard decision...I think we may just wait until the summer to go. 

• DD was 17 months actual (15 months adjusted), we went to Disney World last October, she didn't get sick, but did get all 4 of her first molars that week :)
  • We actually got the go ahead to fly with LO to Florida this coming January. We asked the pedi back in July because we always book early, and he basically told us that we can't put LO in a bubble and she needs to have some exposure to germs. He's not really concerned, but she will also be 10 months actual (7.5 months adjusted) when we go away, so that might have something to do with it. He also said that due to when she was born the RSV shots may not be necessary.

Bottom line, if you aren't comfortable taking the trip with LO, then hold off until RSV season is over...otherwise you will be constantly worried and won't enjoy yourself.

• Sydney and I flew to Pittsburgh in August.  She was 3 months adjusted and a little over 5 months actual.  She did great!  We had 2 flights there and 2 home and she slept on all 4 flights.  She didn't get sick either.  We plan on traveling to Pittsburgh again in November-she will be getting the RSV shot and just got her flu shot yesterday so I'm not too concerned.  She goes to daycare and we have a 2 year old so I figure she's exposed to a lot of germs on a daily basis anyway!
  • We haven't flown yet with DD, but we have taken two car trips - both about 11 hours - when she was 10 months and 1 year (actual, not adjusted).  I would've felt pretty uncomfortable flying with her during her first cold/flu season.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We did a road trip from Portland to Sacramento when DS was 5 weeks adjusted... ended up taking 15 hrs each way and it was pretty rough (especially at first), but we all survived. He was touched and held by way more people than I was comfortable with, we stayed in a hotel where we couldn't sanitize the bottles, and even had to change him once on a bathroom floor (which nearly gave me a heart attack)....  he didn't get sick and as a bonus DH and I are WAY more comfortable with him than we would have been. It pushed us into areas far outside our comfort zone that I don't think we would have gone to until he was a year old

Btw, where in Italy are your inlaws? DH's family is from Milan, but we do every other Christmas there and luckily it was last year for us :)

• imagesabrinafair:

Btw, where in Italy are your inlaws? DH's family is from Milan, but we do every other Christmas there and luckily it was last year for us :)

Cool! They are from Sardegna..the island to the west of the mainland :)  

• Summer. July-September. We just got back. It was easier because it wasn't RSV or Flu season.
  • i flew from OH to FL with my preemies when they were 5 months actual / 2 months adjusted.  my pedi ok'd it, and i also called to get the ok from the neo at the NICU they were for 3 months. 

they were up-to-date on all of their shots and perfectly healthy.  my sister and i both held them the entire time.  they slept the whole flight down and back; they did great.  GL!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • i flew from OH to FL with my preemies when they were 5 months actual / 2 months adjusted.  my pedi ok'd it, and i also called to get the ok from the neo at the NICU they were for 3 months. 

they were up-to-date on all of their shots and perfectly healthy.  my sister and i both held them the entire time.  they slept the whole flight down and back; they did great.  GL!

ETA: that was in may.  i wouldn't set foot on an airplane in the middle of RSV season, which is why we are driving from OH to NY this winter.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"