D.C. Area Babies
Options

Experiences with Shady Grove Hospital

I chose this hospital based on meeting a few people who vbac there with midwives raving about it and how wonderful it was.

Now, all the sudden, I am hearing bad stories with people saying they would never go there, etc. This is just in a time span of since I picked there, so about 4 months.

I am a little nervous because I had a terrible hospital experience (in another city) with my first (not counting the unexpected c-section) the treatment from the nurses and staff was so bad that my husband, who never complains, started screaming at them and that has been the only time in 5 years I have heard him yell. And the OB let us leave 2 days early. I am scared to repeat that again, especially since this is a long drive for me

Any stories - good or bad?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Experiences with Shady Grove Hospital

• Options
    I think I responded to your earlier post - apologies if I'm repeating myself. I delivered at SG a year ago with Midwifery Care Associates and have no complaints about SG. The nursing staff was considerate both in L&D and postpartum, and we were discharged after 48 hours. GL! PM if you need more info.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I delivered at SG 16 months ago, but not with a midwife.  The nurses that attended my birth were amazing and the postpartum nurses were fine.  I had a good experience there.  My least favorite OB out of my practice ended up delivering me, but I got my vaginal birth that I wanted, despite being way more than 24 hours after my water broke.  I had to really push for it and continue to point out that there were no indications that the baby or myself were in trouble just because time had passed.  But anyway that is specific to my OB; I don't know how working with a midwife is. 

They have a specific nurse dedicated to working with pregnant women on their birth experience.  Her name is Susan Hine, shine@adventisthealthcare.com (at least she was there when I was preggo in early '09).  I would set up an appointment with her, ask your questions, get a feel for the hospital and evaluate from there.  I see that you are a bit aways, but I think it would be worth your time. 

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh, and I also had a few people tell me very vague, inappropriate things about SG after they found out I was delivering there.  After I figured out that they were talking about how comfy the waiting rooms where, or how hard it was to find a trash can in the parking lot, I ignored them.  Personal experience there was great and from what I heard from others in our child birth class no one had a bad experience there.

There was one nurse I wasn't a fan of and the nursing supervisor came to talk with us about our experience with her and followed-up.  I appreciated that, even though I had other things to think about :)

• Options
    Can't speak to a VBAC or midwives but my repeat C-section there went well.  The nurses were very responsive and helpful.  My doc let me stay an extra day (low blood count both before and after c-section) and the nurses always made sure I was stocked up with anything we needed for myself and for the baby.  I do wish they could have kept the baby in the nursery between feedings at night because I was alone (DH was home with DD#1) and getting around after the C-section to get the baby and get back to bed to feed her etc wasn't super easy or comfy.
  • Options

Delivered there in a April, i have no issues/complaints. I had an induction and everything went smoothly (my labor was also very fast). I loved my labor and delivery nurse. I didn't love my night time nurse post-delivery but overall I liked all the nurses.

Also I liked the LC's and went to the Shady Grove BF support group while I was on maternity leave, and found that extremely helpful if you plan to bF.  I rec you take one of their maternity tours.

• Options
    Thanks everyone. I found out a few people that were saying stuff had their babies a long time ago and were complaining about sharing rooms with other mothers, but they don't do that any more. So it just happened to be a few people who birthed like years before they changed. GRRR...I mean I appreciate the input, but 5 years is a long time to change things around and it seems what the complaints are over things that are different now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagecindyhow:

Also I liked the LC's and went to the Shady Grove BF support group while I was on maternity leave, and found that extremely helpful if you plan to bF.  I rec you take one of their maternity tours.

Ditto - I found the weekly BF support group very helpful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"