December 2010 Moms
Options

What to eat before 1-hr glucose test?

I have my 1-hr glucose test coming up and it's going to be at 8 in the morning.  I'm still nauseaous in the morning and HAVE to eat something so I don't get sick.  I'm also ridiculously tired in the morning, so I'll probably be eating something close to my appointment time.

Is there anything I can eat that won't affect the results?  The Dr. told me I didn't have to fast, but the nurse at the office told me I should 'just to be safe.'  I'm not sure what to do.

Re: What to eat before 1-hr glucose test?

• Options
    My office told me not to fast, but to avoid a sugary breakfast.  She said the best breakfast I could have before the test would be protein (like eggs).
  • Options
    My Doctor and the nurses also said not to fast and to eat healthy, eggs and toast. Something simple without sugar.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My office doesn't give out much guidance. They told me to eat a normal breakfast. I had Multi-Grain Cheerios and milk and then started fasting. I failed the test. I have no idea if it was the cereal, which is not sugary but does have a touch of sweetener, probably less than Honey Nut Cheerios.

Anyway, if I had it to do over I would eat regular Cheerios. But what do I know. I failed :)

• Options
    I was told to just avoid anything sweet an hour before the test.
  • Options

Mine is later this month ...doctor told me to avoid sugar as much as possible, and the more protein based the better so the glucose drink doesn't make me sick.

I don't remember having to do a glucose test with DS ...wonder if its a new mandantory thing...DS is 5 1/2.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers We're Finally Three

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Cassie has read 1 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • Options

Since I am overweight, I had to do one early. I was told it was okay to eat, just not anything too sugary and no juice. I wasn't prepared for it since I went in for my appointment and they sent me down to get the blood drawn. She said it was okay to eat even during the hour in between. I had sausage, egg, and cheese on an English muffin with no condiments and a water after I drank the glucose juice and scored 99 (which is a pass). HTH

• Options
    I just took mine on Tuesday.  I ate whole wheat toast- with a little peanut butter, a banana, and low fat yogurt- oh and of course my 20 ozs. of water about an hour before I went to the lab for the test.  I passed.
  • Options
    I'm jealous, I had mine this morning and my doc told me I had to fast 6 hours before (although I did drink water beforehand because I get too thirsty).  I hope I pass, I was so starved by the time they drew my blood I hit up the drive through on the way home. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have to do mine when I hit 28 weeks, MW told me to eat a normal breakfast 1-2 hours before taking the test and to avoid to many carbs.
  • Options
    Well, you might want to follow the recommendations of the GD diet, which limits carbs to 30g during breakfast with a serving of protein as well. So maybe eggs with some cheese and a slice of toast. Probably no milk, cereal and OJ. Plus, you'd want to eat well before your test so that it isn't skewed by eating breakfast, then drinking the glucose drink, so you have a double serving of glucose right before the test.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"