Babies: 0 - 3 Months

What is the deal with LO? Pulling off...

I dont know what the deal is with my little guy. I pretty much exclusively breast feed and have been since birth (3 months old). but lately he has been doing a lot of pulling off (with my nipple still in his mouth like its a wad of chewing gum he is trying to stretch!) and it is hurting me.... he is also very wiggly while feeding.

I dont think it is gas as I have burped him and such...it seems constant. Any ideas?

Re: What is the deal with LO? Pulling off...

• My DS has done the nipple stretching thing too occasionally. The only thing I can think of is that sometimes he'll clamp down on my nipple to stop the flow of milk so he can comfort suck. I'm not sure if the nipple stretching is somewhat related to that too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My LO just started doing the same thing but since I supplement, I thought that was the reason. May be they're sucking too hard and have to pull off to swallow and get back to sucking? I'm not sure but I hope someone provides you with an answer as I'd like to know as well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS did that a lot early on but has stopped. Now he only does it when he has to burp or when he's "playing" and is all done. It's usually followed by kicking and flailing after awhile.
  • I notice that sometimes when my little guy does this he needs to burp.  So I take him off of the breast and burp him for a little while.  Sometimes he'll get one out and then go back to nursing. 
  • DS is doing the same thing...I think he's starting to get distracted by sounds... Or he decides that he wants to coo/smile in the middle of a feeding.

I think he may also be getting more efficient...so he's done eating sooner than he used to be but he still likes to keep the nipple in his mouth.

My only other thought is that when it happens in the middle of a feeding, he may be impatient for another let down.

Unfortunately, I don't know a solution for it (besides taking him off the breast completely until he calms back down).

DS born 6/16/10. Natural m/c on 10/3/11 @ 10w4d Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mine seems to do this when she's done. But woe to me if I try to remove my boob, she clamps down hard!

She pops on and off a lot, but that's usually because of my fast let down. The craning her head all around with it in her mouth is usually when she's done, or perhaps needs to burp. 

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"