Eco-Friendly Family

I need a hug

Today was just plain hard.  DH asked me to get up w/ the baby at 445am for the first time in weeks (he has been really good to me and letting me sleep).  For some dumb reason, when I wake up in the middle of the night, I can't get back to sleep - I remember it happening the last time I was pg, too - hormones I guess.  So I'm exhausted.  I had to be at work early for a meeting, which made my work day close to 9 1/2 hrs long.

And you know... some days, it's just plain hard to be a nurse.

We had three patients die over the weekend and today I sat with a lady who I've taken care of for almost 4 years.  She said "it's just getting harder and harder every day" and I said "Yeah, I guess that's what happens."  And I know she's going to die soon and she knows she's going to die soon and she has twin grandbabies on the way in January and I know she's not ready to give up.  It just tore at my heart in all kinds of terrible ways.   They don't teach you how to deal with that kind of stuff in nursing school - how you'll get attached to some people when you take care of them for years and how sad it will be to watch their spouses - their best friends - who they've been married to sometimes for 60 years - have to let go of that person they have built a life with... CANCER SUCKS!

I think I need a hug and my patients and their families need some t+p if you have any to spare.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: I need a hug

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"