1st Trimester

Vegetarian?

I went vegetarian back in January and haven't had a single bite of meat since.  Lately all I can think about is eating chicken, fish and beef.  Am I just having crazy pregnancy cravings? What is wrong with me?!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Vegetarian?

• I have been a vegetarian for 18 years.  I crave meat sometimes but as soon as I remind myself what meat is I don't want it anymore!  Eating veggie burgers/veggie chicken nuggets etc helps.  But my ob said that I need to limit soy too!  ugg
  • I've been a vegetarian for 14 years. I never crave meat. Haven't so far during this pregnancy, but I did recognize that I might have to start eating it if I couldn't get enough protein. I am concerned that I'm eating too much soy,  but so far I've been able to get my 70 grams a day w/ the help of protein shakes. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Good thing for me i'm soy intolerant so i don't have to worry about that!
  • Hey girl- Okay, so my sister is a mid-wife as well as expecting her 4th baby. She sees alot more vegetarians than dr's typically do, just because the nature of the business. Anyway, she has told me that in the recent years there has been a huge increase in testicular problems in little boys with mommies who are veggies. Anyway, I recently went back to eating meat, because my blood sugar/body couldn't handle it any more. I ate extremely balanced meals, but for some reason I need more protein than most people. Anyway, soy contains naturally accuring estrogen and this inhibits the testosterone needed for little boys testicles to decend. I have a friend who is a strict vegan and she has had 3 boys,. The first had only one testicle descend, the 2nd was 5 before his descended, and now her 3rd is almost 5 and his still have not descended. She whole-heartidly blames soy! However, I'm not saying that to scare you just to let you know some stories I have heard. So, I did my own research and have come across similar occurances in vegetarians or women with heavy soy diets. I needed to up my protein intake and I ordered HempShake.. It's awesome! It is completely vegan, no gmos, it's completely organic and just tastes nutty. I bought it on amazon.com (2 16oz containers for $21). I have the berry pom blend and it tastes really good. It comes in several flavors. I mix it with tempt which is hemp milk. Waaaay better for you than soy milk, but it taste great with regular (if you drink that) and almond milk. I throw in a handful of berries, leafy greens (spinach, kale, bok choy), some organic coconut oil, and a drizzle of honey to sweeten things up and help with local allergies. It's great! Anywho, there's just a little recommendation for you. Also, be careful with drinking bottled water... that also contains soy! Pretty frustrating and hard to escape, just be mindful and try your best to not go crazy! I am a big fan of soy chicken patties and also tofu...so, I definitely don't completely avoid it. Hope that helps a little... Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"