Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Some D&C questions

I'm scheduled for a D&C on Thursday, assuming it's still needed as of then.  I go for a follow-up ultrasound tomorrow to double-check everything.  I was disappointed that it couldn't be scheduled on Friday.  As it is, it's the first week of school, so it's a tough week to be out at all.  My doctor said that, depending on much cramping I have, I might be able to return to work on Friday.  What was your experience?  Did you return the work the next day?  If you didn't (because it was the weekend or you took an extra day), do you think you could have?  I teach kindergarten and I know I would be given as much support as needed.  It helps that it's all short days this week, so my day could be done at 12:35 if I go straight home after.  What do you think?

Some other random questions:

When were you able to have sex after it?  (I'm not in a rush - just curious)

How much bleeding/spotting did you have after it?

How did you feel the rest of the day after it was done?

Were you given any limitations on lifting, etc.?

Was your baby tested to see what the cause of the miscarriage was?

Sorry so many questions!  Thanks!

Re: Some D&C questions

• Options

You certainly could return to work the very next day if you are up for it emotionally. Physically I felt fine.

After my first D&C I think we had sex about 2 weeks after. We used condoms since we weren't supposed to TTC. Its been 12 days since my last D&C and I'm not sure when we'll have sex simply b/c I'm still bleeding off and on. After my first D&C I had light bleeding the day of and then light spotting for another week. This time around I've had heavier bleeding and then nothing and then light bleeding and then nothing and more bleeding and nothing. Sigh, I always think its over and it starts back up again so who knows.

The day it was done both times I was just super tired. I literally slept the day away.

I was told no heavy lifting (anything more than 20 lbs) or exercise for four days. And I was told no sex  or tampons or anything up the whoo-ha for one week.

After my first loss no tests were done. This time we had a karyotype done but are still waiting for the results. Honestly, I would ask them to do a karyotype on the baby no matter what your doctor says. I regret badly that I didn't demand one. I feel like at least I would know if we really just had terrible luck both times or if there might be something really wrong. Seriously, if I could go back in time I'd DEMAND the test. Because you can't go back and change your mind after the fact. Just a thought. Even if insurance won't pay for it if you can afford it do it.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'll be praying for you!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Options

I too, am a teacher, so I did not go to work the next day..but.. my D&C was during the summer. My husband and I waited until my 2 week check up before we had sex again. That is the time that was recommended to us and I wanted to wait. I personally would spot some days and then other days nothing. Bleeding/Spotting just seems to be a person to person thing. I have read stories similar to mine on here and then the opposite of heavy bleeding. After the surgery I was very sleepy and just layed around that day. The Dr. ordered me to not do any lifting for 1 week. Because it was my first mc and they are so common (bummer) the Dr. didn't feel the need to do any testing.

The day after my D&C, I was a little crampy. I was just a bit emotional at times. 

I am so sorry for your loss...Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My doc said 3 days after bleeding stops you can have sex.. I unfortunately haven't stopped bleeding since my D&C 4 weeks ago.  I don't think this is normal though, just to reassure you.  Physically I felt pretty good the next day, I had to remind myself to take it easy (Doc called and reminded me too).  I was told I could not lift anything heavier than 20 lbs., so a little stool for DD helped a ton.  

We did not have testing to see what the cause was, as this was my first miscarriage.  

• Options

I don't know if you'll be able to work the next day. I assume you're a teacher, so being on your feet all day might be hard. I was not in any physical pain, but due to a lot of blood loss, I was very weak and tired for awhile after. I could have sat at a desk but not stood all day.

When were you able to have sex after it?  (I'm not in a rush - just curious) My doctor said 3 weeks, but it will depend on you and your situation, your doctor will tell you.

How much bleeding/spotting did you have after it? Pretty minimal. I bled lightly on the day of, spotted the next day.

How did you feel the rest of the day after it was done? Tired but not that bad. Mine was at 7:30 AM so by the afternoon I was up and about around the house, even made dinner, but mainly rested.

Were you given any limitations on lifting, etc.? Yes, she didn't say how much to lift, just not to do heavy lifting/exercise until she cleared me.

Was your baby tested to see what the cause of the miscarriage was? Not that I know of, since it was my first loss. I think they would do that after 2 or more.

I hope it goes well for you. Physically it was very easy, emotionally it is hard to say goodbye.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had my D & C 2 wks ago Thursday.  My doc made me take off 48 hours after the procedure.  I had very little pain the day after but tired easily - it helped to just sit down and prop up the feet.  I only had spotting for 9 days following.  My doc told me we could have sex when the bleeding stopped. I did not have any lifting restrictions.  After the procedure was done I felt a little better emotional, it was very hard for me knowing I was still carrying a baby that I could never hold.  We did not have testing because it was our 1st m/c.

I also had a ton of questions and this board was a great help to find those answers.

#1 Born 10/26/01 - Lindsey Nichole #2 Born 7/14/05 - Kylie Marie #3 BFP 6/16/10, u/s 8/17/10 @ 13 wks 1d, measured 7 wks, 5 d D&E 8/19/10 #4 BFP 12/19/10 - CP 12/25/10 #5 BFP 4/25/11 - Please stick Little One! TTCAL buddies with luckymrs., mandy6418, olivia_eve (BFP), AshB62, Ann003, Ryan&Kristin062009 (BFP), Shaka114, and Angeleyes5604. BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I am so sorry for your loss.  I had a D&C last Thursday and the procedure itself was pretty easy.  Here are my responses to your questions.

My doctor said that, depending on much cramping I have, I might be able to return to work on Friday.  What was your experience?  Did you return the work the next day?  If you didn't (because it was the weekend or you took an extra day), do you think you could have?  I took the day off, but physically it would have been possible to go to work.  I was tired more than anything.

When were you able to have sex after it?  My dr wasn't terribly specific, but generally said a couple of weeks.

How much bleeding/spotting did you have after it? Very minimal spotting the day of and the day after.  The most bleeding I had occured on days 3 and 4 after the D&C, but even then it wasn't a lot.  Not even the same as a normal period.

How did you feel the rest of the day after it was done? Very tired. I slept for 4 hours when we got home, but anesthesia tends to do that to me.  A little crampy, but nothing too bad.

Were you given any limitations on lifting, etc.? No.

Was your baby tested to see what the cause of the miscarriage was? Yes.  They said the results could take up to 3 weeks so we haven't heard anything yet.  This was my second loss in a row.

GL with your procedure.  The hardest part is really just dealing with the m/c emotionally.  ((hugs))

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 6.17.10 - natural M/C 5w2d
    BFP #2 8.4.10 - missed M/C, D&C 8w
    BFP #3 1.18.11 - natural M/C 5w1d
    BFP #4 5.6.11 - 13dpo: hcg 68, p 16.3; 16dpo: hcg 211,
    p16.6; 18dpo: hcg 416, p 15.6; 25dpo: hcg 6,007
    DS born 1/30/12
    BFP #5 4.28.13 - LO due 1/4/14

• Options

I just had my D&C yesterday.  I had some pain and cramping in the hospital; they gave me IV pain meds and they went away.  Last evening I took a narcotic pain reliver, but I would have been fine with motrin (I took the narcotic to numb me emotionally as well as physically - my doctor said that would be okay, to take something strong in order to help me relax and sleep).  Today I am physically fine, but emotionally I am not ready to go back to work.  I, too, am a teacher, and have a sub in for the whole week.  Of course, I am also dealing with my father's sudden death.  If I had just suffered the miscarriage and my father were still living, I probably would have taken today off and been back to work tomorrow.  I really could have gone today, but emotionally I am very fragile.  Going back to work will keep your mind off the emotional loss as well -- its hard to focus within when you have a room full of students staring back at you.

Good Luck.  My experience with the D&C has been good.  Very little pain - just cramping, nothing worse than a bad period.  I was fine yesterday and have felt fine today. The bleeding has almost stopped completely - just a little spotting.  I am not supposed to lift anything really heavy, but I have been lifting my son (23 pounds) with no problem. I was going to have the chromosonal testing, but I passed the sac at home.  The small amounts of tissue my doctor did find he is sending off for testing, but probably won't find out much, since there wasn't much left.  He said in 99.5% of miscarriages, it is a chromosonal abnormality that causes the baby's loss - it develops until it needs a chromosone that is not there, and then it stops developing.  Fortunately, he said, that means that it is often a chance event and will have no bearing on future pregnancies.  As far as sex is concerned, my doctor said "pelvic rest" (no sex, tampons, etc) for the rest of the week.  Then I can resume normal activities.  I was scared of the D&C, but have found it to be a positive experience.  My OB said before we did it that this will "clean everything out and give you a fresh slate to start a new pregnancy."

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My job is part time and at a desk, I certainly could have gone in the next day, for me I would have gotten more rest at work that at home with my 2 year old:) I felt the worst though 2 days after, so if you have it Thursday you may as well jsut take Friday off if you can and rest over the weekend, you will feel pretty good on Friday but just in case you have moments you may feel better at home. My pain pills was just 4 motrin every 8 hours and that worked pretty well.

When were you able to have sex after it?  (I'm not in a rush - just curious)

My dr. said 3 weeks, it has seemed like forever this past week.

How much bleeding/spotting did you have after it?

No red real bleeding at all for me, just some brown spotting that I had for 2 weeks after and now just a little some days

How did you feel the rest of the day after it was done?

I actually felt really good, mine was at 7:30 I was home at 10. My mom watched my son at her house. My husband got my luch and I relaxed for a few hours but then was up and about around the house. I gave Jackson his bath and put him to bed that night. I had told the Dr. that I get sick from anesthia and they gave me something to help that and it worked very well!

Were you given any limitations on lifting, etc.?

My Dr. said not to lift him that day or the next but then after that it was ok. I did lift him the next day just since I am so used but didn't have any issues from that.

Was your baby tested to see what the cause of the miscarriage was?

No, He didn't ask if we wanted to and I didn't ask him about it. Its our first loss and we know how common this is if it happens again we may consider it.

I was suprised that I had some out of no where painful cramps (not contraction painful but still) 4/5 days later. I also was suprised I got bloated most of the whole week after and looked 5 months pregnant and I was also suprised I got awful headaches in the second week from the hormones decreasing, only thing that helped them was caffeine! Just in case this happens to you.

Also I didn't tell anyone other than my husband of course suring the whole thing and after I finally told my friends yesterday and I wish I would have opend up a little earlier, every one was so supportive. The whole things has makde me hug Jackson tighter but also it was hard looking at him and thinking all of the "what ifs" so make sure to take time to process it all afterwards.

I

Jackson arrived 7/7/08! BFP2 7.15.10 D&C 8.17.10 BFP3 8.10.11 MC 8.16.11 BFP4 9.22.11 MC 10.13.11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"