Natural Birth

cervix during pregnancy? and my introduction.

I just realized that lately i've posted a lot of stuff so i thought i'd do an introduction...

I met David a bit more than a year ago, we really hit it off... as friends... haha

then suddenly, one lovely march day. we realized that in the midst of getting to know each other and this wonderful friendship, we fell in love. 6 months later, we're 5 months into this pregnancy and couldn't be happier!

Anyways, haha, I considered a home birth and still am, but for now, we're going with a womens hospital and have an extraordinary ob who has worked with many midwifes and does the natural hospital births around here. i'm 21 weeks and we're expecting a boy :) 

be prepared for lots of questions from me haha.

btw this may contain tmi. but i think you ladies will be fine..

I've been reading about how to check you own cervix and haven't hardly found a thing and what i do find all says the same thing.. and its just not really workin for me. I need more. 

Do any of you know anything about this?

Also, for a hospital birth, when did you go to the hospital? I want to labor as much as possible at home. I mean, if i have him in the hall on our way to a room i don't care... haha. so what did you natural birth in a hospital mamas do?

Re: cervix during pregnancy? and my introduction.

• Hi, congrats on your pregnancy! It seems a bit early to be checking your cervix already, is there something besides dilation you're checking for? When I was 36+ weeks with DS there was no way I could reach all the way up there so DH would check dilation for me, my MW's taught him how. I'm told at that point it feels like a hard doughnut with a small opening in the middle, if you can fit a finger through it you're about 2 cm. And I left for the birth center when I had been having contractions every 5 or less minutes for several hours and they were making me grumpy.

252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Well, we're hiring a doula (who is trained as a midwife but also acts as doula) to assist with my labor, so she'll come to our house once labor starts and help me labor there as long as possible. She can check my cervix too so she can keep an eye on that. Our plan is to go to the hospital around 7 cms.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageErin and David:
    Well, we're hiring a doula (who is trained as a midwife but also acts as doula) to assist with my labor, so she'll come to our house once labor starts and help me labor there as long as possible. She can check my cervix too so she can keep an eye on that. Our plan is to go to the hospital around 7 cms.

Really? Is she also a nurse?  Doulas are not supposed to give medical advice or perform any kind of exam, though they are usually very good at picking up on the emotional signposts.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagepepomntpat:

imageErin and David:
    Well, we're hiring a doula (who is trained as a midwife but also acts as doula) to assist with my labor, so she'll come to our house once labor starts and help me labor there as long as possible. She can check my cervix too so she can keep an eye on that. Our plan is to go to the hospital around 7 cms.

Really? Is she also a nurse?  Doulas are not supposed to give medical advice or perform any kind of exam, though they are usually very good at picking up on the emotional signposts.

I think that answers your question Smile

Lilypie - (YBLf)

Lilypie - (Cfah)
    image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"">
  • Can't imagine why you would ever want to check your own cervix.  Anyway, don't get too caught up in the cervical exam.  It's more about your contractions and how you are feeling.  I was 4 cm when I got to the hospital (would I have gone at that point if I'd known that?), and 2 hours later I was completely dilated and pushing out my baby.  I went to the hospital when my contractions were too painful for me to stand up and were 3-4 minutes apart. 

It's all a long way off for you, so enjoy being pregnant and get some sleep.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"