Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Yet another sexy time question...

DH really wants to have sexy time.  Seriously, he talks about it non-stop and is starting to try to seduce me pretty much any chance he has (so far I haven't given in...but I do feel bad).  He seems to think that 3 weeks is long enough to wait, but I am not so sure.  I mean, they must tell you 6 weeks for a reason - right?  I had a c-section, so I am not worried about all that stuff....I would guess that my incision would just hurt if there was pressure on it.

Anyone have any ideas if it's OK to get back into things 3 weeks after a section?  I am nervous to before the go ahead from the midwives, but just wondering what you all thought.  TIA Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Yet another sexy time question...

• This exactly! I had a c-section too and it's been almost 3 weeks. I feel ready but my OB said again that a 6-8 week wait time is recommended. I don't think I am going to make it....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't (and didn't) without clearance but I know what you mean.  DH felt really manly after LO arrived.  You could call you midwife to ask, sometimes it's okay.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageVonita:
    I wouldn't (and didn't) without clearance but I know what you mean.  DH felt really manly after LO arrived.  You could call you midwife to ask, sometimes it's okay.

LOL that is great.....it must be it!!!  I mean, I am definitely wanting to as well, but it's my body that would have to deal with the fall out (whatever that might be).  I am mainly just nervous that I would get an infection or something like that...totally get waiting with a vaginal delivery, but not so sure with the section.  Maybe calling for some rationale is a good idea.  I feel like we won't make it 6 weeks, but who knows...

• I think you should call your midwife too...
    We tried at 6 weeks and it wasn't good... I just had my pp checkup and she said it would be ok in a week (which will be 8 weeks)
    So you really never know. It's a case by case thing.

Good luck though!

• I think the reason why they ask you to wait 6 weeks is because when the placenta detaches, it leaves an open wound.  So if you have sex, you could get an infection.
  • imageCodyGH:
    I think the reason why they ask you to wait 6 weeks is because when the placenta detaches, it leaves an open wound.  So if you have sex, you could get an infection.

OK this makes a lot of sense to me.  Thanks so much!  That must also be why they say to wait until your bleeding stops - because then the "wound" is closed.

• after ds1 dh could not wait either and i gave in at 5 and half weeks and it was not fun. I had a c/s and it just was not comfortable at all down there... so i think you really need the time to heal inside, even if it was a c/s
  • DH and I waited until after my 6wk app.  The risk of infection is the reason you are told to wait.  We were told absolutely nothing in the vagina for at least 6 weeks, whether you have a vaginal delivery or not.  I had a c/s and could not imagine having sex at 3 weeks!  Ouch!  You must be feeling pretty damn good to be considering it at this stage pp. 
  • We had sex at 3 weeks pp and I had no issues what so ever.  I was actually more excited about it than DH!  I was healed completely and had no incision pain.
  • Like your DH, I was the one who couldn't wait for sex. Somehow, I made it up until the night before my post partum checkup. As my doc and I were talking about birth control methods, he asked me if I had had sex. When I told him I had the night before, he just shook him head. Apparently, he wanted me to wait because if I wanted an IUD (which I did), he didn't want me to have sex before. I'm not sure if I understood him entirely though.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • DH and I had sex at 2 weeks pp. I had a vaginal delivery with no tears or episiotomy and I felt ready to be sexually active with my partner again.

Just to make sure, I consulted with my MW and she advised I wait until my lachia had stopped or at least changed from bright red to pinkish and was no longer "heavy".

Luckily for me, my bleeding stopped at about day 9pp. We had sex on day 15pp and since then have had sex a few times.

My MW also recommended we use some sort of lubricant as I may find that I could be "drier" than usual. DH is intact so though I was "drier" I take it also from EBF, we were able to manage and enjoy our moment together without having to use any lubrication.

As far as the placenta leaving and open wound and having an increased risk of infection, my MW mentioned that typically when a woman desires sex again, the constriction of her uterus, cervix and these exposed vessels (the open wound) constrict in such manner that the risk of infection is very low.

HTH 

• I would wait for clearance.  My doctor said that you have to consider that while you may be feeling good on the outside, you are still healing on the inside.  My PP check up was at 5 weeks and I was cleared at that point.  You might be able to get away with doing it, but I would check with your doc first - they need to check your incision.  For me the first time wasn't pleasant at all, so hopefully things will go more smoothly for you.
  • having sex before you are medically cleared is, IMO, a dumb risk to take. Yes it can work out (like some PPs have mentioned) but IMO its not worth the risk
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"