January 2011 Moms
Options

Mean OB

Today I went for my 4 week check up and she put me down for my weight gain - I gained 6 lbs since my last appointment - 2 lbs over the "1 lb a week mark".  I eat mostly healthy, but will be the first to admit that I've been enjoying the blueberry muffins I made last week, and I exercise just about every single day.  I'm usally right on track with the 1 lb a week rule and all of the other OB's I've seen have told me my weight gain is perfectly on track.  She asked me if I count calories and I said "I only counted calories per weight watchers, which is what I was doing pre-pregnancy to maintain my weight loss, but I stopped it once I was pregnant but pretty much eat the same with some added healthy snacs".  She then told me I need to go back on weight watchers  Indifferent  Seriously?  I've gained 17 lbs and she told me to go back on weight watchers while pregnant???  I really hope I don't have this OB again. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mean OB

• Options
    she sounds awful! maybe you can call your office and request that you don't have her again, that sounds like your best bet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh my... I would probably decrease my carb intake and increase walks, etc but on the other hand ech! How mean!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageTracy6450:
    Today I went for my 4 week check up and she put me down for my weight gain - I gained 6 lbs since my last appointment - 2 lbs over the "1 lb a week mark".  I eat mostly healthy, but will be the first to admit that I've been enjoying the blueberry muffins I made last week, and I exercise just about every single day.  I'm usally right on track with the 1 lb a week rule and all of the other OB's I've seen have told me my weight gain is perfectly on track.  She asked me if I count calories and I said "I only counted calories per weight watchers, which is what I was doing pre-pregnancy to maintain my weight loss, but I stopped it once I was pregnant but pretty much eat the same with some added healthy snacs".  She then told me I need to go back on weight watchers  Indifferent  Seriously?  I've gained 17 lbs and she told me to go back on weight watchers while pregnant???  I really hope I don't have this OB again. 

Weight Watchers won't even allow you to join if you're pregnant.  Members who get pregnant have their memberships "suspended" until after giving birth.

This doctor sounds dangerously uninformed if she's telling pregnant patients to join weight watchers.  I have no idea if your weight gain is or is not healthy for you, but a good doctor will discuss any concerns they have and/or refer you to a nutritionist - not just randomly tell you to join weight watchers.

I wouldn't see that OB again if I were you.

~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Options
    That sounds crazy to me!  As long as you're eating healthy, which it sounds like you are, I wouldn't worry. OB needs to relax.
  • Options

And all of my other appointments were "pefectly on track with weight" and I'm sure my doctor next time will be in agreement.  My friend goes to the same OB and she told me the very same doctor told her the same thing while all of the others told her she was right on track with her weight gain.  Grrrr..mean OB. 

Needless to say she's given me a complex and I almost threw out the blueberry muffins in my house until DH protested (because he wants them).  He was laughing at me when he walked through the door to me working out...and now I don't want to eat anything that's not healthy...big meanie. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OMG... what the heck is wrong with her?!?!  IMO, your not pregnant forever so enjoy the parts of pregnancy that are fun...LIKE EATING!!!   Though im not proud of it I gained 65 pounds with my first..My OB never mentioned that I was gaining to much weight because every test she ever ran on me and baby were always perfect.. healthy mommmy and healthy 7 lb 12 oz baby. This time I havnt had much weight gain but thats only cuz i have a 2 yo at home.  You sound like your doing a good job with eating and exercising so i say...SCREW HER!!
  • Options
    Oh mi goodness.  I probably would have cried right there!!
  • Options
    I so would not want to go back to that OB again.... Then again I have had weight issues all my life and so I would be very upset about that....
  • Options
    Doesn't she realize what a hormonal pregnant woman could do to her if  pissed off?  She's lucky she didn't get slapped, or at least a dirty look.
  • Options
    How rude. I would ask for a different OB
  • Options

You might want to inform that OB that your weight can vary + or - two pounds during the course of the day. Lots of things influence your weight gain or loss besides eating and exercise. This is kinda gross, but my DH once weighed himself before and after having a bowel movement, and he lost a pound afterwards.

If you do get her again, and she says you're a pound over & suggests you watch your weight, you could always ask, "Well can I go to the restroom and take a $hit? That oughta bring me down to my one-pound limit."

• Options
    imagecdobry01:

imageTracy6450:

Weight Watchers won't even allow you to join if you're pregnant.  Members who get pregnant have their memberships "suspended" until after giving birth.

This doctor sounds dangerously uninformed if she's telling pregnant patients to join weight watchers.  I have no idea if your weight gain is or is not healthy for you, but a good doctor will discuss any concerns they have and/or refer you to a nutritionist - not just randomly tell you to join weight watchers.

I wouldn't see that OB again if I were you.

This exactly - you are not allowed to do WW when pregnant!  What a meanie. 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Do the other OB's know she is recommending that pregnant women diet?  This is scary for a doctor to be doing!  Some women gain weight completely different!  

You absolutely have nothing to worry about weight wise- like pp said enjoy the pregnancy, including the eating! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"