Two Under 2

Success w/ BFing baby #2

Hi all,

I had an incredibly difficult time breastfeeding my DD.   She latched well, we saw 3 lactation consultants and someone from LLL, but after months of trying, I was never able to make more than 1 ounce of BM.   I eventually quit when it was time to go back to work.

I'm really hoping that something will be different this time.   A friend told me she couldn't nurse her first baby, but was successful with her second.   Did any of you experience the same?  If so, did you do anything different?  

I swear, my breasts have no idea that I'm pregnant.  If they had thumbs, they'd be twiddling them.  Stupid boobs.

"Cool as Hell like e-mail, but still timeless like a letter."

Re: Success w/ BFing baby #2

• This is exactly what happened to me. Im really hoping with the next one Ill be able to get more than 1oz of bm!
  • My situation was different however I was unable to BF my first but my boys (#2 and #3) are champs! DD was born sick, not breathing and went on O2.  I saw her for  less than a min after birth, then for a few mins on the way to my recovery room and not again until 36 hours after she was born, lucky she was off O2 then and I got to hold her and try to BF but she wouldn't latch.  She was unable to be released from the nursery until she ate, after trying a while to BF.  I opted to give her a bottle to get her out and try in the comfort of my own room, eventually home.   My milk came in, I was able to pump 3 oz on day 4 however she still wouldn't latch and never did.  I wasn't in a good place after her birth so I wasn't able to keep pumping.  It was really rough and something I really worried about with #2.  I felt like such a failure because of DD but in the delivery room with #2 the LC commented on how well I latched my DS.  Made me feel better that it wasn't me, just a bad set of circumstances : O 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS#1 wouldn't ever nurse - I think it's because he was bottle fed in the NICU for the first month of his life, and although I breastfed him as often as I could when I visited him, it wasn't the same. So I pumped and fed him bottled breastmilk. DS#2 was in the NICU for 5 days so I worried that he was headed down the same path but he is a really good breastfeeder! I was worried because I said I wouldn't pump (exclusively) ever again. So, there is hope! Good luck! Oh and my boobs never really did much when I was pregnant, either.
  • I didn't have supply issues, but I did have a bunch of other issues that made BF'ing very very difficult.  The second time around was 10 times easier!  Good luck!
  • I had the opposite problem. With #1 I had oversupply/strong letdown issues. DS couldn't keep up and stay latched and it just didn't work out.

With DD, I had no problems getting her to latch. I didn't have crazy supply issues either. It was like my breasts just knew what to do this time around. However, this time BFing just wasn't a good fit with having a toddler running around. But, I'm sure we could have had a successfull BFing relationship.

Good luck! Hopefully they'll know what to do this time around.

***DS 10/15/08 *** DD 08/03/10****
  • While I didn't have latch issues with #1, I think in general things just never really clicked for both of us. I counted the days until I would allow myself to give formula (at 3mos...my ebf goal). I started with 1 bottle here and there, then 1 every day and by 8mos, combined with her eating solid food, my supply just finally let go and we went 100% formula (thank gawd!!). Seriously, not one hour of engorgement. It was about time and I was soooooo glad for it to have ended like that!! lol

With DS it is simply a gorgeous experience. He takes no more than 15mins to eat but mostly it's 10mins!! When I pump I actually get 5 full ozs (in only 10mins) and have a frozen stash now that I'm super proud of (with DD I barely had 2 or 3 bottles at a time in there and I have about 150 ozs now for DS). When he eats he doesn't mess around like DD did so I can actually NIP fairly easy. It's just all around a better experience and I can't imagine doing formula at this point. I get so happy that I'm past that 3mo mark and I haven't once thought to buy a can of formula "just in case". It actually makes me sad to think of the day we stop :(

So don't give up that hope, mama! It really could be a completely different experience. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"