February 2011 Moms

Will you get the flu shot this year?

I work with kids every day so I know my dr. will probaly want me to get this shot this year. I am on the fence right now and want to do what is best for my child. I plan on talking to her at my next appointment. What are your thoughts?
>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Will you get the flu shot this year?

• I work in a hospital, most recently in their dental office doing registration.  I will not be getting the shot unless they attempt to force the stuff into our reluctant bodies again.  Thankfully we won last year and did not have to do it, I will fight against it this year as well if need be. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm a teacher and work with over 400 students throughout the year (all of 7th grade)!!  Even though I work with lots of kiddos I still don't think I'm going to get the shot.  I don't like to put anything into my body that I do HAVE to.
  • Loading the player...
  • My nurse practicioner said I could get the injection one, but not the nose spray one.  Apparently the injection one contains a dead version of the flu, and the nasal spray contains a weakened, live version.  I think I'll get a second opinion from my doctor just in case...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I know my Dr wants me to get it and I am sure we will talk about it at my next appt. I am not against it, I just don't want to be sick because I have no sick time!
  • I was planning on it, until I read today that it includes the H1N1 in it. I don't know how I feel about that. I did have DS get it last year, but I don't know if I like the idea of getting that shot while pregnant. I usually get the regular flu shot. I think if I can get one that is mercury free I am leaning towards yes... definitely not the nasal spray....but I don't know. I would bet that my midwife tells me to get it....

I did not get one when I was pregnant with DS. The shots were given when I was in my first tri, and I was not comfortable with that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not planning on it unless required (or highly suggested) by my doctor. I don't work with kids and am not around kids nor do I work in a hospital. I'm not against vaccines, but in my situation, I don't find it necessary at this point.
  • absolutely- dr. recommended  (at least by mine)
    EDD with #4  01-20-14
    Proud mama to a boys-  6/17/09 - a girl 2/23/11- and a boy 8/20/12

• Yes. I get vaccinated every year because the flu is horrible as it is if you get it, but getting it while pregnant puts you in the highest risk category for severe outcomes for you and your baby. Why risk it?
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Yes.  I have severe asthma and am very susceptible to pneumonia and my daughter is a preemie so I get one every year.
    mr & mrs || 11.18.06
    DD born 07.06.09 || DS born 01.24.11 || Bean 3.0 due 11.16.12
  • No, I never get it so this year won't be any different.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Absolutely yes.  I will search out the thimerosal-free vaccination. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yes.  I work in people's mouths all day long, I want/need it.  My work provides it, and I asked my doctor last week if she recommend it and her answer was "yes, yes, yes".   She said the regular or the 'preservatives-free' one were both fine while pg, just personal preference since the regular one contains tiny amounts of mercury, and the PF one does not.

And, as a side note, we had a pediatrician in the office today and she said she thinks it will be a mild flu season.  So cross your fingers for that! 

***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

• I'm getting one. I usually get the mist since I hate shots but that's not allowed.

ETA: I also want to add that since the baby will be born at the height of flu season, having myself and H vaccinated will also help protect the baby from getting sick if one of us did.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This was discussed last week -- Flu shot...

And mlkbride -- I definitely encourage you to do research and talk with your doctor about your fears on the H1N1 vaccine. From what I have read and understand, it is just as safe as the regular vaccine, and much safer to get the vaccine than to get the flu.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. - Kahlil Gibran

Baby Fruit Ticker

imageimageimage
  • imageMrs.Jocelyn2007:

This was discussed last week -- Flu shot...

And mlkbride -- I definitely encourage you to do research and talk with your doctor about your fears on the H1N1 vaccine. From what I have read and understand, it is just as safe as the regular vaccine, and much safer to get the vaccine than to get the flu.

Yup, H1N1 is manufactured the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine (H3N2 plus influenza B).

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I do every year, will again this year.  (I didn't get the swine flu one last year as my Dr.  wasn't for it).
    Hey I just met you, and you're my baby. This is your family, we're kind of crazy...Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (tl9S)Lilypie - (zrx8)imageimageimage
  • imageGrahamSchneider:
    I'm not planning on it unless required (or highly suggested) by my doctor. I don't work with kids and am not around kids nor do I work in a hospital. I'm not against vaccines, but in my situation, I don't find it necessary at this point.

This is where I stand. I have never had one but I think DS will get one this year since he is in daycare.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • As I have said in earlier posts on this topic, absolutely.

Pregnant women are at highest risk for complications from the flu, including death.  And getting the shot will offer protection to our babies, who are due at the height of flu season.

There's no risk to getting the shot, barring very specific and rare situations - like an egg allergy. It's just a no brainer to me.

But then, I've had the flu as an adult and I know how terrible it made me feel then - without being pregnant and having to care for a young child. It's not something I'd ever choose to go through again.

And the H1N1 is just like any other strain of flu shots. The strains are selected each year based on which are the most likely to cause illness. The only reason we heard about H1N1 last year was because it started up too late to be included in the regular vaccine. It is absolutely in no way any different than any other flu shot manufactured, we just happen to know the name of it.

imageimage
  • Pregnant women's immune systems are suppressed increasing their likelihood of getting the flu. My doctor recommends getting. I will protect you and your baby. I'm not one for getting the flu shot but this year I am.
  • Pregnant women's immune systems are suppressed increasing their likelihood of getting the flu. My doctor recommends getting. It will protect you and your baby. I'm not one for getting the flu shot but this year I am.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"