Eco-Friendly Family

Nervous about first CD wash...

Please talk me through this like I'm an idiot, because I sort of feel like one... perhaps it's sleep deprivation, lol.

So I just throw all the diapers/cloth wipes in there, right? I don't need to wash the poop off first? DS is EBF.

Oh, and BTW... I am LOVING cloth diapers. We used disposable for the first few days as we had a large supply given to us by the hospital when we left the NICU, and we were sort of recovering our sanity. NICU is not good for my mental clarity.

Thanks for the help ladies! I'm just very nervous about the first wash, especially because I have to give DH instructions and have him do it (he's taking the doc's orders about me not doing housework after my c-s very seriously, and he says I can't do anything till my pp appointment... yes, I'm bragging, lol). 

Re: Nervous about first CD wash...

• I would just throw everything in the washer do a cold rinse then do a hot wash with your detergent with a second rinse at the end. I'm glad youre home and sorry you had to stay in the NICU :( Yay for DH taking the drs orders so seriously. My DH did too it was nice to have the rest. Enjoy your LO :)
  • Happy to hear CDs are going well we love ours too!

Everything goes in together, cold rinse, hot wash with detergent , cold rinse.  No need to wash off poop first if EBF. You may want your DH to look in during the last cold rinse if there is a lot of suds do another rinse.  It may take a few tries to figure out how much detergent to use.  You and DH will do fine.

Put in dryer or hang to dry (I always hang anything that has PUL, covers, pail liner, pocket diapers)  They don't take long to dry and they will last longer.  If you cannot wait for them to air dry try and get them out as soon as they dry.  

It is great that you DH is letting you get so much rest.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Loading the player...
  • Don't worry! Just jump right in. My wash routine is: throw all the diapers in the wash (with poop and everything), do a short cold wash with a downy ball 1/3 full of vinegar, do a super wash in hot / cold with 1 tablespoon of detergent, extra cold rinse, and done! I would just try something out and see how well it works for you. I started out using a very, very small amount of detergent and increased it a little at a time until they always came out of the washer smelling nice and clean. I use the EFF blog detergent and 1 tablespoon is all I need.

Good luck and it sounds like you have an awesome DH!

• Congrats on your lil' guy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"