If you EP please come in.. — The Bump
Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

If you EP please come in..

Curious about a few things:

1. How many times a day were you pumping? (I realize this varies w/the age of your child so please include rough ages-- newborn, 6 mos,1 year)

2. How long were your pumpin sessions?

3.Did you use a hands-free pumping bra? (Saw these recently and was intrigued)

4.Overrall experience/comments (would you do it again? Why/why not)

TIA

Re: If you EP please come in..

• Just wondering, why are you curious now?

1. How many times a day were you pumping? (I realize this varies w/the age of your child so please include rough ages-- newborn, 6 mos,1 year)-I pumped every 2 1/2-3 hours starting when LO was 3 weeks, and I made it to 9 months EPing

2. How long were your pumpin sessions? 15-20 minutes

3.Did you use a hands-free pumping bra? (Saw these recently and was intrigued) YES, Medela Freestyle pump that attaches to any nursing bra-awesome

4.Overrall experience/comments (would you do it again? Why/why not) It super sucked, but I'd do it again if I had to.  I gained 60 lbs while pregnant and managed to shed 50 of it while EPing.  Plus I got LO to almost a year on mostly EBM.

• 1. Newborn-every 2-3 hours, 6 mo- every 4-5 hours (except at night)

2. 10-20 minutes

3. Nope.

4. It was a huge pain in the butt. DS was a preemie and had a hard time latching so I just kept pumping. I had a huge supply until about 7 months when it pretty much disappeared. I weaned him and he had EBM for another 2 months from a stash. I would do it again but I would prefer to just nurse the old fashioned way next time.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. How many times a day were you pumping? - When my DD was a newborn it was every 2-3 hrs and I made it to 9 1/2 mths and dropped slowly eventually to 2 pumps a day, which was a big mistake because I had a huge drop of milk when I went from 3 pumps to 2 pumps.

2. How long were your pumpin sessions? - 10-20 minutes...depending on how long DD would let me pump for!

3.Did you use a hands-free pumping bra? (Saw these recently and was intrigued) - No, I could do it hands free with my pump by balancing them on my legs.

4.Overrall experience/comments (would you do it again? Why/why not) - I would if I had to I think, but I am going to try my hardest to get my next baby to latch. Like PP said, I lost a ton of weight by pumping, I don't know if I still do, but when I was pumping, I weighed less than before I was pregnant and I didn't have to watch what I ate.

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttfc89f.aspx[/img][/url]
  • 1. How many times a day were you pumping? (I realize this varies w/the age of your child so please include rough ages-- newborn, 6 mos,1 year)

Started out pumping every 2-3 hours and waking in the middle of the night. When I went back to work at 7 weeks pp, I was pumping 5 times/day (morning before work, twice at work, around dinner time and before bed) and no longer waking up in the middle of the night (dd STTN). I don't remember a lot after that. I adjusted to what LO needed. I know I dropped one pump at work and then was down to 4x a day. At the very end I got sick of pumping at work because of so many close calls, ppl were always almost walking in on me. I would pump in the morning when I woke up and at night before bed and get 8oz per breast each time, so I was still getting enough.

2. How long were your pumpin sessions?

I would usually pump for at least 15 minutes, usually more like 20.

3.Did you use a hands-free pumping bra? (Saw these recently and was intrigued)

Yes, and it was a savior. This way, I could bump while pumping lol, eat, feed LO, hold LO, etc. Before the bra I couldn't do any of that because I needed both hands to hold the suction cups on. I got mine from amazon and it's a halter one. 

4.Overrall experience/comments (would you do it again? Why/why not)

I am actually planning on EPing next time. I loved being able to bring a bottle with us when going somewhere and DH being able to help with night feedings. Thie next time, I am going to start pumping from the very beginning (last time I waited until 3-4 days PP because I was trying to nurse). I am a SAHM now so I think I will nurse and pump both.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 1. I EPed for 12 months, so I started out every 2-3 hours around the clock (22 minutes each time) and pumped every 3 hours until 5 months, when I dropped one overnight pump so I would have a 6 hour sleep. Then I dropped another pump at 7 months and down, until I was down to 2 pumps per day at the very end.

2. 22 minutes.

3. Only when driving. I needed more massage.

4. FUUUUCK NO. It was hell. H and I recently added up the time and guess I spent approximately EIGHTY days hooked up to the pump. 80 days I didn't hold my new baby. 80 days somebody else had to watch her, or I watched her on mat. leave playing with toys and under her mobile without me. I missed her rolling over, standing up, and countless other things hooked up to the pump. I had thrush, mastitis, clogged ducts, and had to pump in airports (with my baby, try explaining that!), hotel lobbies, while driving...the list goes on. I smashed my pump with a hammer Office Space style and it felt goooood. The only bonus, if it was, was a severe oversupply. DD was exclusively on EBM until 16 months and is now getting 1 bottle a day at night, which should last about another month. 18 months of BM for a stubborn preemie that wouldn't nurse- I'd say we did ok.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards