Success after IF
Options

~LucyP~

Two things:

1. I love the fact that Jack has "sniffers" for diaper change time! Much better than a machete!

2. When did you guys stop using the helmet? Was it your choice to stop or was it at the recommendation of the therapist?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ~LucyP~

• Options

Oy.  Plagiocephaly for us has been the gift that keeps on giving .. as we still have some facial asymmetry that I am trying to accept and not freak out about on a daily basis.  I am seriously the only one who notices (or so everyone I mention it to tells me, maybe they're lying..) - but it bothers me.  Sometimes it bothers me a LOT. 

Toward that end ... we stopped helmet therapy too early.  NOT at my request.  Basically, Jack grew out of his starband.  That's not supposed to happen with starbands - but it did.  I question if his was really ever fitted correctly as in 15 weeks - we only went from 9mm to 7mm - not terribly impressive.  But one of the "side burns" began pushing on his face - and after talking that over with his orthotist who said he "looked great!" we decided we were done.  Really, he needed a second helmet (but again, that's not "normal" for starband, so it wasn't suggested by any of the professionals we were working with at the time.)  If I'd known more then - I would have ordered a second helmet - and kept him in it until he reached at least 5mm or better yet 4mm or even 3mm (the magic "normal" number.)

Happily - I had him scanned recently as a result of my anxiety over his persistent asymmetry and he is now at 5.9mm - so he improved 1.1mm on his own over the last 8 months - and I'm hoping over the next year he'll improve even a little more.  (But it just goes to show you - they really DON'T round out on their own - just a very little bit.)

LONG story short - don't stop too soon.  I let myself be led down that path because I was so OVER the helmet.  But in retrospect - I wish he'd worn it longer.  Have you had a scan recently?  Do you know what his measurement is right now? 

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"