Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Do you think this is do-able for a 17-18 mo. old? Daycare related

DD is in the process of transitioning to the toddler room at daycare. She's been spending about half her time there for the past few weeks. Next week, she'll be in there the entire time.

The issue is that she arrives at daycare around 12:30, and it's naptime. The rest of the kids are asleep when she gets there. She naps in the morning at home before daycare so she is not tired then. When I dropped her off today, the caregiver said to her, "Let's go find you a cot and some books to look at". There was another toddler who was wide awake, sitting on her cot surrounded by books. This little girl was older than my DD, but still under the age of 2. 

I'm not sure if DD is able to sit on a cot until naptime is over. Is that reasonable to expect of a 17-18 mo. old? Naptime is "scheduled" to last until 1, meaning that they expect DD to entertain herself on a cot with books for half an hour. I can't see her doing that. She loves books and all, but that's a long time for a toddler to "read". 

I don't know if there really is a solution to this, or if it's even a problem. I was just wondering all of your thoughts. Do you think your LO would be able to "read" for that long? Or would they be up and playing with everything in sight?

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

Re: Do you think this is do-able for a 17-18 mo. old? Daycare related

• I think magical things happen at daycare sometimes because there's "peer pressure".  I think if everybody else was napping and the room was dark and quiet, I bet DD would be happy to sit on a cot and look at books or even play quietly w/ one of the teachers. 

Is there any chance you could drop her off earlier or later so that she can nap there or be there after naps are over?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageKathrynMD:

I think magical things happen at daycare sometimes because there's "peer pressure".  I think if everybody else was napping and the room was dark and quiet, I bet DD would be happy to sit on a cot and look at books or even play quietly w/ one of the teachers. 

Is there any chance you could drop her off earlier or later so that she can nap there or be there after naps are over?

I can't really drop her off at any other time because of my work schedule. I'm really hoping that she's content to look at books in the dim room. I guess we shall see...

• Loading the player...
  • imageKathrynMD:

I think magical things happen at daycare sometimes because there's "peer pressure".  I think if everybody else was napping and the room was dark and quiet, I bet DD would be happy to sit on a cot and look at books or even play quietly w/ one of the teachers. 

This, I think she will do just fine.  If it was more than half an hour I might say a little iffy but for that time period I think she can do it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I definitely think DS would be able to do that for 30 minutes, no problem. I'm sure your LO will surprise you!

• I pick up my little one about 20 minutes after naptime starts in her class.  It's not really an issue for us.  She is in the dark room on the cot with books and blocks and things.  The teacher is often playing with her quietly after the rest have fallen asleep.  I think it's definitely doable!
  • Thanks everyone! I feel a bit better about this situation now :)

• I think it is possible.  A lot of centers have this rule that they have to stay on their cot during nap time, for nap time is when the teachers take their breaks and there can be fewer teachers in the room.  I am sure that if they had to give her something else to do they would.  We always started with books, moved to puzzles, then coloring, and so on.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"