February 2011 Moms

Diet Soda

My doctor just told me that I can't have diet soda :(. I practically live off of Diet Coke!  I had no idea it was on the can't have list!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Diet Soda

• That definitely varies by doctor.  Some people's OBs say not to worry.  Some people drink Crystal Light like it's going out of style and that also has aspartame in it.  Personally, I enjoy a Diet Coke every morning and a Diet Cherry 7Up with my lunch every day.  I drank it with DS and he's fine, so I don't worry about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i have never heard of anyones dr. saying to not have it at all! I limit myself to one a day just for personal reasons.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Aspartame

Aspartame, distributed under several trade names (e.g., NutraSweet? and Equal?), was approved in 1981 by the FDA after numerous tests showed that it did not cause cancer or other adverse effects in laboratory animals. Questions regarding the safety of aspartame were renewed by a 1996 report suggesting that an increase in the number of people with brain tumors between 1975 and 1992 might be associated with the introduction and use of this sweetener in the United States. However, an analysis of then-current NCI statistics showed that the overall incidence of brain and central nervous system cancers began to rise in 1973, 8 years prior to the approval of aspartame, and continued to rise until 1985. Moreover, increases in overall brain cancer incidence occurred primarily in people age 70 and older, a group that was not exposed to the highest doses of aspartame since its introduction. These data do not establish a clear link between the consumption of aspartame and the development of brain tumors.

In 2005, a laboratory study found more lymphomas and leukemias in rats fed very high doses of aspartame (equivalent to drinking 8 to 2,083 cans of diet soda daily) (1). However, there were some inconsistencies in the findings. For example, the number of cancer cases did not rise with increasing amounts of aspartame as would be expected. An FDA statement on this study can be found at https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2006/ucm108650.htm on the Internet.

Subsequently, NCI examined human data from the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study of over half a million retirees. Increasing consumption of aspartame-containing beverages was not associated with the development of lymphoma, leukemia, or brain cancer (2).

• My DH is a doctor and we both try to avoid diet soda whenever possible. I actually forget his reasoning for not drinking it.....but I am not a soda drinker anyway so it doesn't bother me. My acupuncturist also recommended that I not drink diet soda. However my OB says its ok!

My personal feelings are that you are probably just fine drinking diet soda if you enjoy it. I would ask your Dr about it.
  • It's funny how doctors can vary so much. Mine said I can drink the diet soda and that aspartame and splenda were perfectly fine. It was saccharine that's not good (Diet soda has aspartame). 

My doctor also says to avoid lunch meat - other doctors say you have almost no chance of getting listeria. 

I definitely try to listen to my doctor - you should too, although I will say that I have been drinking diet soda (in moderation) since the beginning and so far I have been fine. 

• My doctor told me that it was the aspartame that I wasnt supposed to have and that splenda is actually fine.  Sounds like doctors differ in opinions on this!  I may ask another doc at the practice for an opinion.  I am relieved that some of you have been told that diet soda is not harmful because I would like to drink it but in moderation.  Thanks for your input all!
  • They do make Diet Coke with Splenda ;-)
  • imageGrahamSchneider:
    They do make Diet Coke with Splenda ;-)

Perfect solution!  I didn't know they made it but I will have to keep an eye out for it.

• imageAnnabelle0211:

imageGrahamSchneider:
    They do make Diet Coke with Splenda ;-)

Perfect solution!  I didn't know they made it but I will have to keep an eye out for it.

Just so you know what the case looks like. It is my second favorite Diet Coke besides Coke Zero :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"