3rd Trimester

Saw an Epidural video...oh my!!

So I saw an epidural video as part of my child birth class.  I think it made me more nervous!  They emphasized that you have to be completely still.  How do you not flinch when they are putting a needle in the spine??  I know the numb the area, but it looks like it would still hurt when it gets that deep.  Anyone been through this and have tips on how to be completely still despite this?  I tend to worry about stuff (even when not likely) when it comes to things that could cause serious problems (such as anything with the spine - I had a nerve injury in my back in the past and was in PT for a year...bad memories!), so any tips/reassurance are appreciated!! Thanks in advance! :)
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Saw an Epidural video...oh my!!

• Well, it wasn't my favorite thing I've ever had done, but it wasn't that bad.  The only thing that "hurts" is the numbing shot they give you first.  It just burns a little.  After that, you really don't feel anything expect them pushing or putting pressure on your back.  I think the worst part for me was being nervous I was going to feel something. It also took them 3 times to get mine to work, so that was fun!  They will have you lean over a pillow and a nurse stood in front of me and held onto my shoulders.  That helped me hold still.  I just tried to be as still as possible so it would over as soon as possible.  Again, it's not a ton of fun, but it really wasn't too bad! 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • ditto, after they get the numbing shot in you don't feel the 'big' needle at all. It just feels like someone touching your back...it's all numb.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I freaked out the first time I saw a video of it too.  However, all of my friends have had one and they each assured me that it really does not hurt very much.  They all said that compared with the amount of pain I'll be in at the time I can get it, I won't even notice the sting.

• Yup-really not that bad...the contractions during the procedure were the worst for me.  You are kinda hunched over-huging the nurse...so it's helps you hold still.  I felt the pinch of the numbing needle...then something going in my back...weird..but not painfull.
  • My only tip is to not get an epidural.

• I don't understand why they show pregnant women a video of this.  When you are in labor and in pain, and epidural is the least of your worries.  I don't remember feeling anything because I wanted it so badly.  You don't see it go in anyway and they numb you first.

Don't worry about the epi right now.  When you are in labor, you will know if it is what you want or not.  Promise :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • imageLibby283:

My only tip is to not get an epidural.

Ditto! Too many potential complications and the pain of labor is nothing in comparison to them sticking you wrong if your L4 and L5 are messed up (like mine are), and plus, if your baby has shoulder dystocia, with an epidural you have to have an emergency c-sec, but without one, you just flip over onto your hands and knees and push the baby out.

• oh no, why would you watch that? I started to watch one and I shut it off because I know I'm more than likely going to want one and I don't want to get freaked out. I've been on the fence between getting one and not so my dr explained to me that if I want to get one, it's fine, it's there to help me feel more comfortable, to get some rest because it's going to take alot out of me and the going natural is more of a trendy thing right now.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was way more freaked out by the birthing video than the epidural video. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imagePapa Bear's Bride:
    imageLibby283:

Ditto! Too many potential complications and the pain of labor is nothing in comparison to them sticking you wrong if your L4 and L5 are messed up (like mine are), and plus, if your baby has shoulder dystocia, with an epidural you have to have an emergency c-sec, but without one, you just flip over onto your hands and knees and push the baby out.

This is ridiculous.  There are potential complications in every delivery no matter what.

My first labor was almost 72 hours.  I would not have been able to push my baby out at 10cm because I would have been completely exhausted.

There is no rule for epidurals, it is a decision each woman has to make when she is in labor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • Thanks all!  This helps a lot!!!  :)  Haven't seen the birthing video yet...may close my eyes!  LOL!
  • I just kept thinking "this person is threading a needle into my spine, I don't want to cause any reason for them to mess up". And the anesthesiologist told me after the procedure that I was the stillest patient he had ever performed one on. I was like, "hell yes, I was!"

• imagePapa Bear's Bride:
    imageLibby283:

This is ridiculous.  There are potential complications in every delivery no matter what.

My first labor was almost 72 hours.  I would not have been able to push my baby out at 10cm because I would have been completely exhausted.

There is no rule for epidurals, it is a decision each woman has to make when she is in labor.

• imageTheBuddha:

I don't understand why they show pregnant women a video of this.  When you are in labor and in pain, and epidural is the least of your worries.  I don't remember feeling anything because I wanted it so badly.  You don't see it go in anyway and they numb you first.

Don't worry about the epi right now.  When you are in labor, you will know if it is what you want or not.  Promise :)

Because drama sells, darlin'!!  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you're having back labor, you are desperate for anything to get rid of the pain.  I would have opted for a frying pan over the head if that would have put me out for any amount of time.  A needle in the back was nothing compared to dealing with those contractions.  If you were in the hallway near my delivery room, you would have heard me scream "Owww!!!! Fvck you contractions!"

• imagetmac1022:
    oh no, why would you watch that? I started to watch one and I shut it off because I know I'm more than likely going to want one and I don't want to get freaked out. I've been on the fence between getting one and not so my dr explained to me that if I want to get one, it's fine, it's there to help me feel more comfortable, to get some rest because it's going to take alot out of me and the going natural is more of a trendy thing right now.

You are ignorant and judgmental.  I really don't have much more to say to you about the subject.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Try to avoid the epidural then. You don't have to get one! I didn't get one with DD1, and plan not to with DD2. The thought of a needle in my lower back drives me crazy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I didn't plan on getting an epidural, but got one bc I ended up with a c-section. When I got the epidural, my contractions weren't as strong as they had been, but they were still coming, and I probably had 3-4 while they were inserting the needle. The biggest help for me was to hold onto my DH and really really focus on breathing through them - I had taken prenatal yoga with that pg, and I did the breathing/relaxing from that. Stay calm is probably the best advice I can give, and just focus on something during contractions. hth

ETA: why is maternity care the one time that it's considered rude to research/question and learn more about your options? If I was having any sort of medical procedure done (not that birth is a medical procedure!), I would still be learning about and wanting to know about it as much as possible. Women should be shown a video about what happens during an epidural - ignorance isn't neccesarily bliss.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Guys...

You're going to be pushing something the size of a watermelon out of your vagina.

The fact that someone is going to spend a couple of seconds putting a needle in your back should not be high on your 'OH HELL NO" meter. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imageheatherm818:

imagetmac1022:
    I've been on the fence between getting one and not so my dr explained to me that if I want to get one, it's fine, it's there to help me feel more comfortable, to get some rest because it's going to take alot out of me and the going natural is more of a trendy thing right now.

You are ignorant and judgmental.  I really don't have much more to say to you about the subject.

She's ignorant and judgmental because she had a conversation with her medical provider about the proper course of action and her medical provider gave her both facts and opinions about the different options she has? 

Explain how, please? Sounds like she's getting information from an expert and isn't being judgmental at all (the whole "on the fence" thing).

Additionally, it is a fact that natural childbirth is very trendy these days -- a fact which natural childbirth advocates are thrilled to death about. It's far more popular now than it used to be. It ties in with the whole DIY, green, organic, healthy thing. How is that ignorant and judgmental, either?

• imagemonkiem:
    imageTheBuddha:

I don't understand why they show pregnant women a video of this.  When you are in labor and in pain, and epidural is the least of your worries.  I don't remember feeling anything because I wanted it so badly.  You don't see it go in anyway and they numb you first.

Because drama sells, darlin'!!  :)

::sigh:: how right you are Monkiem!

• imagecinema_goddess:

Guys...

You're going to be pushing something the size of a watermelon out of your vagina.

The fact that someone is going to spend a couple of seconds putting a needle in your back should not be high on your 'OH HELL NO" meter. 

Good point...LOL!!!  All the feedback helps a lot though!!!

• In my "birthing class" (which was really an extended, multi-session advertisement for the instructor's doula services), she showed an Epi Video that as far as I could tell, had more in common with a wartime propaganda leaflet than any sort of instructional message. 

Though there were no graphic, slo mo, in depth depictions of the actual BIRTHING process in the whole class (vaginal wall tears? back labor? shoulder dislocation? No?), the epi video featured graphic, in depth visuals of what happened during an epidural alongside dire predictions of the possible complications with NO real world stats to show you how often something occurs.

My husband turned gray, watching it. I took him home and printed him out an actual fact sheet about epidurals and the statistical unlikelihood of any of the complications actually occurring.

• imageAllie30:
    imageheatherm818:

imagetmac1022:
    I've been on the fence between getting one and not so my dr explained to me that if I want to get one, it's fine, it's there to help me feel more comfortable, to get some rest because it's going to take alot out of me and the going natural is more of a trendy thing right now.

She's ignorant and judgmental because she had a conversation with her medical provider about the proper course of action and her medical provider gave her both facts and opinions about the different options she has? 

Explain how, please? Sounds like she's getting information from an expert and isn't being judgmental at all (the whole "on the fence" thing).

Additionally, it is a fact that natural childbirth is very trendy these days -- a fact which natural childbirth advocates are thrilled to death about. It's far more popular now than it used to be. It ties in with the whole DIY, green, organic, healthy thing. How is that ignorant and judgmental, either?

Maybe going natural is trendy for some people and for others it is based on medical evidence, including my doctor's opinion on the matter (and yes, an OB).  I do not care if someone gets an epidural.  It does not effect my life in anyway and I do not judge them.  If that is what they feel is best for them and they are ok with the risks, great.  I hate when people assume I'm a hippy or trying to be trendy because I choose to not have medication that effect my daughter.  Just like I chose to quit smoking immediately and some people chose not to eat lunch meat or whatever.  The risk is not acceptable to me.  Besides, being the only person I know that is trying to go med free out of almost 40 people I know who have had kids in my life, I don't think I'm being trendy.

• imagerochella:

What does your OB say?  I'm going the crunchy, natural route myself, but I totally understand why women want to get epidurals and I wouldn't freak out about it.. you don't watch what they're doing, anyway.  My DH actually had an epidural himself for an abdominal surgery, and said it wasn't bad (until they pulled it out and he leaked spinal fluid and had a horrible migraine for three days, but that's a different story and an uncommon side effect)

However, when you mentioned your spinal disc injury, it changed my perspective a bit.  I would have trouble getting an epidural as well, in your case.  If you want to take meds, perhaps there are other routes you might be more comfortable with?  IV meds, laughing gas?  

I can assure you that a natural birth would be more painful, especially if you're not prepared for it, than almost anything an anesthesiologist could do to you with a needle. 

My back injury was just the nerves (sciatic - sure I spelled that wrong), and the discs were okay.  My spine was out of line for quite awhile, but PT seems to have fixed that.  My doctor has not expressed concerns and at this point has said the epidural would be okay.  But, as I said, any risk of injury to the back now makes me nervous.  I feel better knowing the numbing injection does help and that a nurse or my husband can help me hold still though!  I don't do extreme pain well, so I nkow I will need something!  I do plan to talk more to my doctor about all options at me appointment next week also.

• imagerochella:

What does your OB say?  I'm going the crunchy, natural route myself, but I totally understand why women want to get epidurals and I wouldn't freak out about it.. you don't watch what they're doing, anyway.  My DH actually had an epidural himself for an abdominal surgery, and said it wasn't bad (until they pulled it out and he leaked spinal fluid and had a horrible migraine for three days, but that's a different story and an uncommon side effect)

However, when you mentioned your spinal disc injury, it changed my perspective a bit.  I would have trouble getting an epidural as well, in your case.  If you want to take meds, perhaps there are other routes you might be more comfortable with?  IV meds, laughing gas?  

I can assure you that a natural birth would be more painful, especially if you're not prepared for it, than almost anything an anesthesiologist could do to you with a needle. 

My back injury was just the nerves (sciatic - sure I spelled that wrong), and the discs were okay.  My spine was out of line for quite awhile, but PT seems to have fixed that.  My doctor has not expressed concerns and at this point has said the epidural would be okay.  But, as I said, any risk of injury to the back now makes me nervous.  I feel better knowing the numbing injection does help and that a nurse or my husband can help me hold still though!  I don't do extreme pain well, so I know I will need something!  I do plan to talk more to my doctor about all options at me appointment next week also.

• Sorry about the double post.  Thought I had stopped it from posting to correct my spelling, but I guess I was too slow!
  • imageheatherm818:
    imageAllie30:
    imageheatherm818:

imagetmac1022:

Maybe going natural is trendy for some people and for others it is based on medical evidence, including my doctor's opinion on the matter (and yes, an OB).  I do not care if someone gets an epidural.  It does not effect my life in anyway and I do not judge them.  If that is what they feel is best for them and they are ok with the risks, great.  I hate when people assume I'm a hippy or trying to be trendy because I choose to not have medication that effect my daughter.  Just like I chose to quit smoking immediately and some people chose not to eat lunch meat or whatever.  The risk is not acceptable to me.  Besides, being the only person I know that is trying to go med free out of almost 40 people I know who have had kids in my life, I don't think I'm being trendy.

let's all take a chill pill, calm the hormones. To clarify.... this is what my Dr said, not me, my Dr.....SOOOO just because he said it doesn't mean I'm getting an epi or not, I"m still on the fence and considering NOT having one. What's the big deal if it is trendy? How does that make me ignorant if I told you what he said? Doesn't mean I think that. I am also going to breastfeed which is also getting trendy again vs bottle feeding regardless of how many people try to turn me away from it. Is that ignorant? Hey man, to each his own, I'm not here to judge...ok I'm done

• imageheatherm818:
    imageAllie30:
    imageheatherm818:

imagetmac1022:

let's all take a chill pill, calm the hormones. To clarify.... this is what my Dr said, not me, my Dr.....SOOOO just because he said it doesn't mean I'm getting an epi or not, I"m still on the fence and considering NOT having one. What's the big deal if it is trendy? How does that make me ignorant if I told you what he said? Doesn't mean I think that. I am also going to breastfeed which is also getting trendy again vs bottle feeding regardless of how many people try to turn me away from it. Is that ignorant? Hey man, to each his own, I'm not here to judge...ok I'm done

• imagetmac1022:

It's also really annoying when people blame emotions on hormones when they are pregnant. 

If your doc said that, that doesn't surprise me.  I just get irritated about the subject since everyone thinks they know why I'm choosing what I do.  Many people, not just your doc, think I'm being trendy or crunchy or whatever, and it annoys me since I am basing my decision on scientific evidence that many docs are starting to finally acknowledge.  So I'm sorry about freaking out on you, it should be directed towards your doc.

ETA: And BF and med free are what is best for your child if they are options.  If there are medical or personal reasons for not choosing either, FF and an epi can be fine for your child.  I am not trying to debate that.  Like you said, I'm not here to judge either, your post just came across that way to me.  

• I am a major wimp about needles so was super worried about this also.  I ended up getting the head anesthesiologist so I barely felt it at all, they were between shifts or something so he was the only one available.  He really knew what he was doing!  My only tip is to stop watching these videos, they will only cause you to worry.  You can't even see what they are doing back there!  So why look now :)  It was probably the easiest part of the whole process.  Also make sure if you are getting a catheter that you get the epi before this.
  • if my doc would tell me that natural birth is trendy i would run like Forest Gump. Would never be able to trust him/her with my decision to have a natural birth as i see too many doctors these days treat birth as an illness instead of a 'natural' thing that it has always been.. it's meant to be natural and it has always been so. I'm not opposed to epidurals when needed or wanted, i just know i don't want one. 
  • My doctor told me that they will go with whatever I feel most comfortable having.

I am getting an epidural...and I'm scared about it.  When I was working, a girl in another department went in to have her baby, had the epidural...and now she is permanently paralyzed.  There are good and bad to everything.  I think whatever one wants to choose is a great choice for them.

Now if I could seriously get knocked all the way out and somehow still push the baby out...I would do that.  If I end up needing a c-section, I am going to ask that I be put to sleep, I am not comfortable being awake at all.

To each their own, but I have heard that going natural...it is a better and quicker recovery (from ladies I know that have gone natural).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"