North Carolina Babies

Feel SO confused right now!

LOL!  How did we go from NOTHING to 2 promising job options...and in different areas.  One is in charlotte and would involve DH working and me continue staying home.  One is in Durham and would involve ME working and him staying home.  So different, and I'm going CRAZY!  Duke just called me and I have meetings from 12:45-3 on Thursday, meeting with 5 different folks.  So its sounds promising, but I have NO idea of the pay range of this position, so I don't know if I should get excited or not.  I mean, obviously something is better then nothing, but its got to be enough to make it worth the move, right?  Durham would be close to family.  But, the job possibility in Charlotte for DH would be a HUGE pay increase for us.  Like 1.5 times more then he was making.  BUT, its a contract job, a 1-2 year contract if he gets the offer with a GOOD chance of going permanent, but no guarantee.  BUT, it does come with benefits, holidays and PTO even though its contract.  But, is it worth the risk of being unemployed again in 2 years?  BUT, being unemployed in Charlotte would be better then unemployed here, right?

I know I'm crazy to be so confused when we don't have any offers on the table right now, but both of these have said that the one thing they're interested in is getting someone in the position as soon as possible, so they're hoping to move quickly.  The one in Charlotte actually said they want someone to start in 2 weeks or less.  So, I feel like I need to think through everything and be prepared.  

Go ahead, tell me I'm crazy and to go have a drink, LOL! 

Re: Feel SO confused right now!

• I think Charlotte sounds like a great option for you guys. I wouldn't worry too much about the position being contract b/c it will still feel normal if he has PTO and benefits. Plus, I think more companies tend to "trial" employees as contract before hiring them on permanently these days. And you could theoretically pretend his salary is the same as before and just bankroll the rest of it for the time being in case of any other employment changes in the future.

That being said, 5 appts at Duke does sound very promising. I would go to those on Thursday and knock them dead and then see what shakes out from there. But if the Charlotte job called with an offer in b/tw now and then I say take it!

• Well I hope one of them works out for y'all. I know it's exciting, but stressful in the meantime. Try not to get too worked up about the potential details yet. My advice would be to just enjoy the time you both have at home with your kids...that will probably (hopefully) be ending very soon and it's unlikely that you'll have so much family time at any other points in your lives. That's definitely a blessing among so much unemployment-related stress.
  • Loading the player...
  • Good luck!!  ...and here's a drink to you! Drinks
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagemrsNnearly:

I think Charlotte sounds like a great option for you guys. I wouldn't worry too much about the position being contract b/c it will still feel normal if he has PTO and benefits. Plus, I think more companies tend to "trial" employees as contract before hiring them on permanently these days. And you could theoretically pretend his salary is the same as before and just bankroll the rest of it for the time being in case of any other employment changes in the future.

That being said, 5 appts at Duke does sound very promising. I would go to those on Thursday and knock them dead and then see what shakes out from there. But if the Charlotte job called with an offer in b/tw now and then I say take it!

totally this.  the job market is SO much better there than it is here.  i just hate how horrible the job market it is around here!!  dh has been having to drive almost an hour and a half to work  each way for his new job (which thank god he got)... but the commute is horrible!!!!   so i would definitely consider going for the job in charlotte, esp since it's a huge pay increase.  you could hopefully build your savings back up in the mean time as a "just in case"... but then maybe the duke job will work out too! 

if it was between the two, i'd probably go more for dh working and you staying at home because it sounds like his salary would be a lot more, but you never know!   anyway, i really hope one of these works out for you!  praying for you guys!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"