Working Moms
Options

I hate cover letters

Does anyone have any good tips on writing fast, easy, and effective cover letters? I just hate writing these things. Better yet, does anyone want to write one for me??

Re: I hate cover letters

• Options

Divide it into segments and keep it brief.  Both make it more manageable from both ends.  First paragraph:  state what position you are applying for and that your resume is enclosed/attached.  X looks like a great company for the following reasons and you believe your qualifications are a great match for the needs of X.

2nd paragraph:  why you are a good match.  This is the toughest.  Don't wax poetic here.  Keep it brief and concrete.  A real example or two will suffice.  "Organizing the HGTV RV Exposition for the past 5 years has showcased my talents for xyz as well as the RVs."  You really only need 3-5 sentences max.  It's a cover letter, not a tome.

3rd paragraph:  wrap it up.  "Should you have any questions regarding my qualifications, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Thank you for this opportunity and I look forward to hearing from you soon."

Sign off.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    Oh me too. I just copy one from the internet and use my own words. Keep it simple. I just looked it up online and there are waaay to many to choose from and NOW there are options for an online cover letter. Geesh, GL! Check Monster.com too!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

CafeMom Tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks all. Yeah, it's really that 2nd paragraph that drives me nuts (I use the same format). I always have trouble summarizing my experience and making it applicable, and all the examples online always sound so much better than what I end up with. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

I don't even know why these things are necessary. I do interviews for my company too and I usually just skip the cover letter and go straight to the resume.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"