Working Moms

Lost: Vent and asking for help

I am currently a part time working mom as an xray tech, but I find myself lost in my career and maybe looking for a new direction.  I really do love my job, but the pay stinks!  I get frustrated with my pay, it hardly covers paying my student loans and for daycare.  I am very lucky in that I work for a hospital (great benefits) and yet I get to work great hours, no weekends, holidays, or evenings.  I work every W-F 8-5.  But that being said, I'm stuck.  I want my family to be further ahead, I don't want to continue to live paycheck to paycheck.  My DH makes a decent living, he's a Network Admin for a local lawfirm but we both could be doing better.  I want to be able to offer more oppurtunities to my family.  There is not a huge space for advancement in my career field.  I have been planning to go back to school in a few weeks and work towards my Bachelors in Radiation Science but in all honesly that will not get me much, just felt like it was something I could do for me to try to help me feel more secure in my position.  But, the more I think about it, the more I am thinking I could totally change my direction.  I am open to completely changing my career field.  My question for you ladies here....Is there any good research out there for help in deciding on a direction?  What careers offer a good work/family balance and flexibility, but still good pay.  I'm a math and science, black and white kind of girl so something in business I'm leaning towards.  Are there good websites out there to help me research?  What have been your experiences?  Any help or advice would be great!  Thanks! 

Re: Lost: Vent and asking for help

• Have you thought about teaching?  Isn't there usually a higher demand for math and science teachers?  Quality of life, summers off, pension, union, tenure, similar schedule to your children once they're in school.

• What about health care management.  If you already work in a hospital are there supervisory/management opportunities your department.  Pursue a bachelors or masters in managment, hospital adminisitration or something similar.  It will combine skills you already have and potential for career growth.

(I work in HR management for a hospital.)

Susie, mom to DS 4/10/07 and DD 3/6/09 (MC 9/05, 2/06) Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you thought about nursing? Or are there other opportunities within the hospital that you could train for? My husband is an xray tech and loves it. However he is not licensed for ct, mri, ultrasound and those type of things. He was cross trained though as a medical assistant and currently works as both. Come to find out he loves the medical assistant part more than the xray. He's also realized that he does well with training others, office/personnel management, etc. He wants to go back to school but now can't decided between some sort of radiology or nursing. The medical field is a great field to be in. People will always get sick. And the more things you can add to your certifications the more marketable and versatile you'll be.
  • imageDanielleWrly:
    Have you thought about nursing? Or are there other opportunities within the hospital that you could train for? My husband is an xray tech and loves it. However he is not licensed for ct, mri, ultrasound and those type of things. He was cross trained though as a medical assistant and currently works as both. Come to find out he loves the medical assistant part more than the xray. He's also realized that he does well with training others, office/personnel management, etc. He wants to go back to school but now can't decided between some sort of radiology or nursing. The medical field is a great field to be in. People will always get sick. And the more things you can add to your certifications the more marketable and versatile you'll be.

This is what I was thinking.  My MIL has been a nurse for 40 years and has never had any trouble getting work.  If I could get past the whole blood thing, I would do it in a heartbeat!

• Does the hospital you work for have an Employee Assistance Program?  You get free counseling sessions and they work with all types of issues...  including career issues.  It should be completely anonymous and your employer won't know that you are even using the program, let alone the reason why. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"