Multiples

want your opinions

Ok... I am having some concerns... I am 24 weeks pregnant with twins.  I went for an ultrasound on Thursday and my cervix was measuring short at 2.2.  So I saw a high risk doctor on Monday and I was measuring at 2.1 and funneling. 

Everything that I have read is saying I should be on STRICT BEdrest.  The doctor told me to take it easy at work(im a 4th grade teacher) so its kinda hard. I took it on myself to take off work until my next appointment sept 8. 

What is your all opinions.  Should I try a different hospital or what?  THe doctors kept saying that i will have the babies early that they just don't know when.  Dont you think they would want to prevent it?  They kept saying if you have them now then we have the technology to save them.  I don't want to have them now... i want them to stay in as long as possible.  thanks

Re: want your opinions

• I was 2.3 and funneling at 23 weeks, I was put on strict bedrest, I also had a postive ffn at 24 weeks.  I carried the boys till 36 weeks, got off bedrest at week 33.

HTH

• I would like for them to be more conservative, but you can always put yourself on BR, you don't need to wait for your doc to put you on BR.
  • Loading the player...
  • My cervix is constantly changing and I've been on bedrest b/c of it since 22w. I'm glad you took yourself off work. I think you did the right thing. Do you also have contractions (even if you don't feel them they will show up during monitoring) or signs of an irritable uterus? If so they should be talking to you about medications. Just saying "we can save them" is ridiculous. Your babies are far better off inside you than not at this point. I hope your next appt goes better. If not then yeah I'd look for a different MFM.
  • I'm also a teacher, and had a shortening cervix at 26 weeks with some PTL stuff (contractions, etc.) and was put on "moderate" bedrest then, and moved to strict bedrest at 30 weeks. ?Delivered at 37w3d, so it was a good thing I was on all that rest, it made quite the difference. ?Especially with being a teacher...that's what did me in, I'm SURE of it. ?You might want a 2nd opinion...and you should absolutely trust your instincts!

GL!?

• I wasn't feeling well since this weekend, and went in for an u/s.  The tech told me that my cervix should be at least 2.7 w/out concern.  IMO, I would get a second opinion based on that info, JIC.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • some docs don't believe bedrest helps - as my OB says... it might not help- but he's sure as hell going to put someone on bedrest if there is a risk of PTL - b/c it can not hurt and MIGHT help.

24 weeks??? Yeah- they MIGHT be able to save them- but they'd spend weeks and weeks in the NICU, have many problems, possibly for life.  That is NOT the way I'd want my doc speaking about my children with me.

I would find a new MFM - stop working right away for sure. I was taken out of work at 27 weeks and I had a "cervix of steel" as they kept saying b/c it always measured so long.... My doc just didn't want me to risk anything since my job has me on my feet much of the day.  If you are having a shortened cervix and are a teacher - that is a recipe for preemies IMO - and I would find a doc to write you out of work immediately.

• imageGSwans:

might want a 2nd opinion...and you should absolutely trust your instincts!

GL! 

This

• Hi,  I am 27 weeks pregnant with twins and have been on restrictions since 7-8 weeks along and bed rest since my 17th week.  I will continue until they arrive. So I will be on bed rest for more then half of my pregnancy but it is so worth it because there are so many risks involved carrying twins.  My reasons for bed rest were different from yours however these issues cleared up and my doctor still wants me to continue because carrying twins and having all of that weight puts a lot of pressure on the cervix.  Yes twins come early compared to a singleton pregnancy but you don't want them to come too early.  I would follow your gut, either get another opinion or place yourself on bed rest. Laying down is much better then even sitting. Sitting does not take all of the weight off of the cervix.  Make sure you avoid lifting, bending and doing stairs. That can have an impact as well.  Just some advice I got from my OB, good luck with everything.
  • imageGoldie_Locks_5:

some docs don't believe bedrest helps - as my OB says... it might not help- but he's sure as hell going to put someone on bedrest if there is a risk of PTL - b/c it can not hurt and MIGHT help.

24 weeks??? Yeah- they MIGHT be able to save them- but they'd spend weeks and weeks in the NICU, have many problems, possibly for life.  That is NOT the way I'd want my doc speaking about my children with me.

I would find a new MFM - stop working right away for sure. I was taken out of work at 27 weeks and I had a "cervix of steel" as they kept saying b/c it always measured so long.... My doc just didn't want me to risk anything since my job has me on my feet much of the day.  If you are having a shortened cervix and are a teacher - that is a recipe for preemies IMO - and I would find a doc to write you out of work immediately.

This.  I was placed off work at 24 weeks and my cervix was long and closed.  I was placed on mod bed rest due to high BP (and it wasn't that high) but my OB was conservative and didn't want to take any chances.   was planning to take myself off work at 28 weeks anyway.  Hav they done an FFN on you?  I had them done when I was experiencing a lot of contrations but they were alwasy negative.  Please get a second opinion.  I think you are wise to take yourself off work.

• I'd already been on BR from 13wks on.  At 23wks I went in for a growth scan and cervix was 1.9 and funneling.  They hospitilized me immediately, gave steroids, and monitored me for 4 days. 

I got to go home, but was hospitilized again at 28wks when cervix measured .5/funneling.

Get a 2nd opinion, a different hosp if you think that's needed.  A comment about keeping a 24wker "alive" would have me changing care.  Find out who the best perinatologists in your area are. 

I hope my bedrest made a difference for me.  33w4d is alot further than any of my doctors thought I'd make it. 

GL!

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thank you all fopr your advice.  I switched doctors this morning and feel like I am going to be getting the answers that I need.  The finally straw was last night we left a message on her work cell and have yet to hear back from her.  So switching doctors was the best choice.
  • i'm so glad to hear you changed docs --- i was really worried about you. Please keep us updated!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"