Breastfeeding

Getting Started with Pumping

My one mos old feeds about every two hrs. I heard that it's best to pump immediately after a feeding, however, if I am alone, this is difficult since after a feed it takes a while with rocking etc to put baby to sleep.  So by the time I get to the pumping, it's already one hr or more after baby began feeding, and then the next time he's hungry, I feel like I don't have enough supply to give him.

So, what is the best way to get started with pumping?  

Thanks. 

Re: Getting Started with Pumping

• start with an hour after the first morning feed because thats the milkiest time of the day

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • I started pumping in the middle of the night after he had gone a longer stretch of sleep. I was fuller for him so I would only nurse him on one side and pump the other. I still do this (in addition to more pump sessions now) and I get about 6oz in the middle of the night from just one side. DS now sleeps for about 6-7 hours. When I do a daytime pump, I get about 3oz per side.
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO was never able to latch, so I had to EP.  It is hard to EP since the baby needs so much attention.  I highly recommend getting a handsfree pumping bra.  The morning feeding is the best to start with. Once you BF get a boppy or lay the baby on your bed in front of you so LO can still see you.  Hook up your bra and pump and pump for 10 min or for about 2 min after you no longer see milk coming out.  Even if LO cries you can see LO and know everythings ok.

It does eventually get easier,

• I'm with you- when I pump after the morning feeding I feel like by time I am done I only have about 45 minutes (if that) before his next feeding and that he wont get enough milk.  Not sure what to do.  I started pumping once more after his last night time feeding but I get very little (maybe 1/2 oz) at that time.

iht

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"