School-Aged Children

Gym and Music class being used for "proper behavior class".....

This happened last year too and it annoys me.....

about once a month or so, instead of the normal gym or music class, the teachers have to (I'm assuming the principal makes them, because I can't imagine the teachers agreeing to it) go over things that the class isn't doing well with, such as proper behavior during lunch time, proper way to walk through the hall, proper way to act on the bus (in preparation for a field trip).......

It annoys me...gym and music time are SOOO short each week....but then I think......well should they be doing this during reading or math instead?  Maybe not......but what is wrong with pulling out the kids who are having issues and doing this....

What does your school do for kindergartners and first graders who are still learning procedures to reinforce proper behavior???

Re: Gym and Music class being used for "proper behavior class".....

• I think this type of announcement would be made by the teacher at the morning "circle time" or "class meeting."  It's possible an announcement would be made to the grade at lunch or the start of recess, too.  It would not be taken out of specials.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Our school has a weekly time slot for "character education" where that kind of stuff is handled. 

• Loading the player...
  • Hmmm, I'm not sure what the right way is.  I like a lot of the suggestions in this thread, but tend to think that if things are really bad, they need to lose a privilege like music or gym to make a point.  But, it sounds like this is just routine stuff to me. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"