Breastfeeding
Options

Thinking of starting a blog re: my failing supply...

This bites!  I had vowed that never again would I stress myself out about a declining supply.  Imagine my surprise when I was a major over-producer in the first few months with my son.  I had to return to work when he was 2 1/2 months old, so I now know that it was just too early.  Within three weeks, I was losing about an ounce a day.  I also was exhausted from working, so getting up to pump in the wee hours was not really an option.  He was STTN (which I hear they are not supposed to do at that age) and long story short, I'm lucky if I'm able to pump one bottle of fresh milk for him.  Due to aformentioned over-supply, there is an abundance of milk in the freezer, but also due to that fact, we ran out of room in our freezer and I found myself discarding 20+ ounces of "expired" unfrozen milk. 

I was unsuccessful at getting my supply back when it tanked with DD, but she was MUCH older (close to 10 mos.).  DS is only 4 months old! And in daycare! He needs the immunity protection. Sad  I've already tried a lot of things that didnt' work, of course, some things have not been tried as consistently or as perfectly as possible, so I view this as a bit of science experiment, to see if, in fact it really can be done.  So, I KGsky, am reversing my stance...officially, I want my milk back,  d*%mit!

Re: Thinking of starting a blog re: my failing supply...

• Options
    sjpsjp member

Seriously **hugs** and good luck! Im totally rooting for you!

BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageAmyG*:

Good for you for not giving up.

try a different pump, change the membranes in your existing pump.

and mix up your pumping schedule like baby would nurse back and forth and back and forth when they have a growth spurt.

kerry's herbals nursing tincture

oatmeal every day

heck brewer's yeast and a good dark beer

chicken soup (like if you are sick and dehydrated)

try more water, and less water

if you are taking ANY meds, ask someone to look them up for any particular side effects that could effect lactation

nurse whenever you and your baby are together, then whenever you can, pump for 15-20 minutes after your nursing session but not to the point of pain to tell your body to make more milk damnit.

re-evaluate how much milk you send to daycare.  the average is 1 oz per hour you are apart.  arrive to daycare a few minutes early, and sit down and nurse right then, and when you get to daycare in the evenings, sit down and nurse right then.  that may limit how much milk you need during the day if they staff knows baby just ate and will eat again right when mom returns at the end of the day.

good luck

These are all great suggestions! I told the daycare ladies NOT to give our baby any milk after 3pm so that I could nurse as soon as I got home - I would much, much rather nurse than pump!!! Sometimes she has solids, but usually she is fine for this time.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"