Working Moms
Options

another milestone missed...

so i work 8-430, which means i leave no later then 740, home by 450....

my dh works 2-10pm, so he is home until 130 which then my mom comes over until i get home.

the other week i get a phone call from my dh who says dd just rolled over....and i missed it, but he got the second time on video....

and now today i get an email when dh got to work saying, well, she finally figured out how to get from her stomach back to her back....and i missed that as well.

how do you get over missing all of these great things when you are at work....

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers You want me to eat this food... no thanks, i have my paci.

Re: another milestone missed...

• Options
    You just can't dwell on it. I'm just happy they met that milestone and I know I'll eventually see it.
  • Options

My daycare doesn't really mention it when he does new stuff.  For some reason milestones don't bother me that much.  It's not like they won't do it again.  I just try to focus on all the positives, like how much fun he is having at school with all his little buddies.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Honestly, it's never bothered me.  When Andrew took his first steps our au pair (at the time) asked DH and me to come in to the family room when we got home from work.  Then she stood Andrew up and he walked to us!  That was an amazing moment and we all cried.  I wasn't sad that she saw it before us.  But I was glad she made a big deal out of showing us what he had learned.

The first time you see a milestone it will be a big deal.  Just be glad your LO is hitting them.  {hugs}

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options

1) Your DH needs to stop telling you.

2) How do you know it was the first time? Couldn't LO have done it in their sleep, or at church nursery on Sunday and no one knew it was the first time?

3) Your DH needs to stop telling you.

I missed my LO's first rollover during the 10 minutes I ran out to sign a mortgage refi. He was with MIL. I was still on maternity leave.

You just can't dwell on it. It could have happened while you were going potty, not just while you were at work.

• Options
    I am trying to figure out ways to deal with this as well and DD just started daycare last week.  I think for me it is a tradeoff.  If you didn't work then what are the things you would need to tradeoff to see those milestones?  Money to pay the mortgage/rent, money for vacation, money for school for LO?  Those are the things that LO is going to be impacted by.  They will not remember that you weren't there when they took their first step.  That being said it is okay to feel sad for yourself but don't feel sad for your LO b/c you are making more of a positive impact by being a working mom.  Hang in there, it's hard!!  It is great you have DH and your Mom watching her!!
  • Options

never bothered me. I find that those milestones usually span a week or two. All of the rolling over, crawling, talking....it wasn't just one a-ha moment. Each one took a while to happen; over a week or so. Who cares if you missed the first time? Sje will do it again, right? When you get home.

How do you even know if that was her first time? She could have done it by herself in her crib when you weren't looking. If you had been home, you could have been in the bathroom or in another room and missed it. Just b/c you were at work earning a living to buy her things and provide for her doesn't mean you missed squat.

• Options

I never let this kind of stuff bother me, honestly.  I don't undesratnd the big deal.  I actually literally rolled my eyes when I read the topic of your post.

Talk to your DH and your Mom and tell them you don't want them telling you about it anymore.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The "first time" I see it is always special to me. It doesn't bother me if I don't see the very first time he something.
    Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options

Because it was a first time when I saw it!  Any other times didn't count as the first time that Mommy saw it, Mommy screamed, Mommy ran across the room, Mommy hugged him and told him how proud I was of DS.

Then, if my DH or grandma or grandpa missed it, I'd re-live it with them. It was awesome. I never felt that I missed out on any of his firsts!

• Options
    thanks for those who support/understand...just one of those monday's where you just dont want to leave the house...and just wanna stay home and stuff
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers You want me to eat this food... no thanks, i have my paci.
  • Options
    imagecookingdude:

All of the rolling over, crawling, talking....it wasn't just one a-ha moment. Each one took a while to happen; over a week or so. 

This is exactly my take on it.  Even when I am w/ DS and he's working on a milestone, I've been like "Well, does THAT count as the first or is it when he does ____?". 

That's why I've never understood this angst around milestones, to be honest. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I have a friend who works full time and has her daughter in daycare, and she just tells daycare/family to not mention when LO does something new until she brings it up in conversation. That might be helpful in your situation if missing milestones makes you feel bad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You could still miss some of these things if you were there. DD took her first steps at her 1st birthday party. She was playing with her Grandmas and walked from my mom to my MIL. DH was busy grilling and I was setting out the side dishes, plates, etc. We both missed it and we were right there. Just be happy that your LO met the milestone and look forward to being able to see it when it happens again.
  • Options
    Daycare doesn't tell us when he reaches a milestone. I assume he does things there before he does at home, but I'll never really know unless I ask them, which I won't do.
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Don't dwell over it too much.  Also put yourself in your DH's shoes.  I'm sure there will be times she does stuff at night that will be a first with you and he will miss it.

My husband travels a lot and there will be many firsts he will miss.  And as working mom, we all miss firsts.  It is just whether or not we want to be told or see for ourselves.

If it bothers you that much, then have him not tell you.

• Options

You won't be around to see every first they ever have.  Why do these matter so much more than those?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Honestly, she could have done it while you went out the grocery store and left her home with DH.  I don't think SAHM's necessarily catch all of this stuff either.  YOu will be the first to see somethine eventually. Maybe ask YH not to mention it to you and let you discover it on your own.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    You're going to get to see her do it.  Enjoy that.  I will admit, though, that I don't understand about the milestone sentimentality.  Many times, the child does the milestone in their crib at night the first time and everyone misses.  Just enjoy that she's reached the milestone and don't dwell.
  • Options
    imagewheelenl:

1) Your DH needs to stop telling you.

You just can't dwell on it. It could have happened while you were going potty, not just while you were at work.

Our nanny will wait for us to tell her our DS did something and then she will either be surprised because it was the first time or she will agree that yes he is now "fill in the blank."  That way in the moment we get the joy of seeing it happen and not know if it was the first time.

• Options

I'm an adoptive mom and my kids were 8 and 10 months old when they came home, Clearly, I missed a LOT of firsts. I can't even answer questions as to how old they were when they hit milestones.

If I really let it bother me, it would kill me. Just like it's killing you. You just have to accept your situation and enjoy watching your DH grow, just as you would if you were with her 24/7 for the rest of her life.

• Options
    Why waste energy worrying about it? Can you SAH so you won't miss them? If not, let it go.
  • Options

imageMAtoNC:
    The "first time" I see it is always special to me. It doesn't bother me if I don't see the very first time he something.

This exactly.  LO has been walking at DC for weeks.  I have yet to see it.  In reality, the first time they reach these "milestones" is usually pure accident.

• Options

With DD, I was on maternity leave, and put her in her crib to stare at her mobile while I got dressed. I heard her fussing and turned on the video monitor... and realized I was staring at her back. That was her first major milestone, and I missed it. Even though I was technically a SAHM at the time!

At least when I'm working, I have a good excuse for missing things!

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options

IMO the first time I see it is the first time he does it.

Plus, who knows? She may be rolling all over her crib at night and no one sees it! So you really never know when her official"first time" is :)

M/C #1 BFP 5/26/08, missed m/c discovered 9w1d (blighted ovum) M/C #2 BFP 11/19/08, missed m/c discovered at 12w1d (triploidy) BFP!! 3/27 Due date 12/5/09 Benjamin Tate is here! Born 12-1-09, 9lbs 5oz, 22" via C-Section M/C #3: d/x ectopic, methotrexate given 2/11 BFP!! 7/12, due 3-21-12
  • Options
    i'm just as proud the first time i see them do something as i would be if it was their first time ever doing it.
  • Options
    imagecookingdude:

never bothered me. I find that those milestones usually span a week or two. All of the rolling over, crawling, talking....it wasn't just one a-ha moment. Each one took a while to happen; over a week or so. Who cares if you missed the first time? Sje will do it again, right? When you get home.

How do you even know if that was her first time? She could have done it by herself in her crib when you weren't looking. If you had been home, you could have been in the bathroom or in another room and missed it. Just b/c you were at work earning a living to buy her things and provide for her doesn't mean you missed squat.

This.  Try to not let it bother you.  I think you'll find that the more she does, the less it will bother you.

• Options

When I read the title of this post, I thought it was going to be written by a mother who was in distress because her baby was not making his/her milestones on time.

Count your blessings.

imageimage Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageMAtoNC:

This, but honestly, I don't even remember the first time dd rolled over. You are also lucky to have a good schedule and short commute.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I didn't read all the other replies but I will tell you it's just as easy to miss a milestone if you're at home. I had the benefit of being home with both of my babies for 5 months of maternity leave.  I totally missed #2 roll over because he did it when I turned my back to put some clothes away in his closet (he was on a blanket on the floor). 

Most milestones are accomplished gradually.  I still can't quite figure out when my DS took his real first steps - do we count the time that he took one step and fell, two steps and fell, three steps and fell or maybe the time that he walked from me to DH? It's hard to put an exact date on some of these things regardless of whether you're home or not. Don't stress about it - just try to be happy when you see your LO making progress, regardless of whether you see every gradual step or not.

• Options
    I try to remember that is DD's big moment - her learning new things, new skills is about her growth and development - its not about ME witnessing her learning new things, you know.  Whether I see it or not, her walking/crawling/rolling for the first time are her big moments and while its exciting for me to witness them and I'm proud of her and her achievments, I'm just a witness. 
  • Options
    It never really bothered me as I was just excited when I saw all the 1st for the 1st time, even if it was not the 1st time my kids really did it.  I will never be with my kids 24/7 so there will be things I miss always and its just not something I have dwelled over.  I am just happy that my kids are happy and doing all the normal thing (older DD was born with a brain injury) so when either of my girls do things, I am thrilled even if I miss that 1st time.  Sometimes daycare told me about those big milestones that happen in the 1st year but I am guessing there are many things my kids did while there that just never got mentioned to me until I excitely told them about what I had seen.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"