Working Moms

BF pumpers advice needed

Can you tell me your schedule and how long  you pump for? 

I feel like I am getting sore.  Last week was my first week back at work and I am pumping 3x while at work.  I also tend to pump after my AM nursing because there is so much there and at night b/c DD started STTN and I didn't want to be engorged or lose supply.  Maybe I am pumping too much or too long or have the setting too high, but I'm afraid of blistering.  Maybe my nips just need to get used to it?  Thanks for any input. 

Re: BF pumpers advice needed

• I only pump 2x a day at work. Don't have time for more than that.

So, I pump at 6am, 2x while at work, and *maybe* once at night if I'm not too exhausted.

My supply only dips if I don't drink enough.

• I only pump 2x a day at work. Don't have time for more than that.

So, I pump at 6am, 2x while at work, and *maybe* once at night if I'm not too exhausted. total of 3-4x/day

My supply only dips if I don't drink enough.

• Loading the player...
  • I pumped 2 or 3 times a day at work for 15-20 minutes. I had the suction on the 'halfway' mark and speed on the second from highest mark usually (on my ameda pump).

If you are hurting I'd turn the suction down as a first step. More suction does not equal more supply necessarily.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Pumping is like breast feeding. It shouldn't hurt. It also sounds to me like you may be pumping too much. Unless you need an extra session to keep up with your DD, I would drop the pumping after AM nursing and the night one. Eventually your body will get used to DD sleeping through the night. I pump as much as DS eats at daycare (3 times).

• I pumped 6 times a day, for 10 minutes each session - but I exclusivly pumped, no nursing at all. I wouldn't suggest getting used to it hurting...maybe there is something else going on like the shields aren't fully dry, or they are the wrong size?  I also did high speed the entire time after letdown (about 15 seconds in).  And I tried to use lanolin after every pumping session, sometimes that didn't happen at work though.
  • Thanks for your input, I took away a lot from it!  I do think I pump too much, so I can adjust that.  I also have the setting high and have used the horns wet, didn't realize that might be part of it.  Thank you all very much again, very helpful!
  • In my experience, if I put the suction too high, then yes, it hurt. Try that first. Also, are you sure you are wearing the right size shields?

• Oh, I forgot to answer your original question...in a typical/average day, I would pump 2 - 3 times. I generally worked 7 - 4 or 7:30 to 4:30. I would nurse before work and immediately after work. Due to onsite DC w/ #1 and having a nanny w/ #2, I nursed during lunch about 60% of the time. When I had a meeting or other conflict that would prevent me from nursing at lunch, I would pump (hence the 2 - 3 /day).

Duration of a session was generally about 20 minutes. Make sure to do breast compressions as it REALLY does make a difference what you get out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"