Stay at Home Moms

mommy let down...DD has a cavity

I feel like I have failed my daughter.  I are religious about brushing 2x a day.  No pop, and sweets are a minimum.  The only thing I can think of that is sugary and gooey that might stick to her teeth is her chewy vitamin that she takes twice a day.  Am I helping or hurting her?

I have never had a cavity and so I thought we were doing well...until this morning. 

She had been saying that it hurt sometime when she would have like yogurt or something with more sugar in it, so I brought it up to the dentist.  They said that she infact had a cavity.  She is only 3!!!  I feel so badly for her and myself. 

Poor girl has to go get it filled because it is in her back tooth. 

I am blaming myself and feeling like a bad mom today.  What should I be doing differently?

Just had to vent...

Anyone can be cool, but awesome takes practice!

Re: mommy let down...DD has a cavity

• honestly- i would let those guilt feelings go. if that is the worst thing you have done in 3 yrs i would say you are doing pretty darn well.

It happens. There is a large part of genetics that play into it as well. I know you said you haven't had cavities- but what about your DH?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Sometimes it's hereditary.  She might just have soft teeth like my daughter.  My daughter had to have a tooth filled when she was 3 and the dentist said it was just the top layer cracking but they call that a "cavity" but it's not a true cavity, so maybe that's the same with your daughter.    Don't feel guilty, it sounds like you are doing a great job by having her brush at least 2x a day.  The only thing is maybe up it to 3x/day.
  • Loading the player...
  • If it makes you feel better I had horrible, cavity ridden baby teeth (and my parents never put me to bed with a bottle so it wasn't bottle rot) and our dentist wanted to pull some of my baby teeth! My mom said no, they fell out and now (knock on wood) I get maybe one cavity ever 7-10 years.

Sometimes teeth are just more prone to cavities then others and it could just be her baby teeth but her adult teeth may be fine.

• I lurk on this board. But I wanted to respond because I work for a pediatric dentist. When does she get her chewing vitamins? Is it before or after you brush her teeth? You said she doesn't get pop but what about juice? Does she use a sippy cup or regular cup? If she uses a sippy cup what do you put in it and does she carry it around with her?

Don't blame yourself, it happens. I see children in my office that are younger than your DD that have to be put to sleep to have their teeth fixed because they have so many cavities.

• like pp said some of it is hereditary. when we were younger my brother never brushed or otherwise took care of his teeth and has never had a cavity. I on the other hand have always been good about taking care of my teeth and have had some cavities.

my niece just had to be put out and have a root canal and my sil swears they do everything right. Brush 2x a day no pop etc. Their dentist actually blamed it on her extened bf which I really think is crazy but that is the reason they were given for her bad teeth.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"