Preemies
Options

what do you guys think? gym?

my LO is in the NICU and i visit him every single day, i'm there about 10-12 hours a day. i'd like to start exercising now that i got the green light from my dr and i was thinking about going to the gym.

do you guys think the gym would be okay? i guess i'm a little bit of a germ-a-phobe these days since i practically live in a hospital surrounded by preemies. 

i was thinking about going for an hour during the morning when there's not a lot of people there and showering there. i had a plan to take my own sanitizing wipes for the machines.

do you think it would be safe? or will a be a walking germ?

i just can't work out outside because it's too hot and a treadmill or elliptical might be a better way to ease back into exercise. 

your thoughts?  

Re: what do you guys think? gym?

• Options
    I dunno, if it were me- I wouldn't, but I am a germ-a-phobe, too. Seems like I was always sick both times I belonged to the gym. But if you wiped everything down each time you used it and used hand sanitizer like crazy it might be okay.
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Options
    Both DH and I belonged to a gym while A was in the nicu.Working out actually really helped both of us. It got our minds off of the fact that we had a preemie in the hospital and let us feel normal for an hour every day. I would also like to add that the only time she got sick were from germs that are only found in the hospital. There are germs everywhere, the only thing you can do be vigilant about washing your hands and if you don't feel well, stay home.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would absolutely go.  Just shower and sanitize before you visit LO.  It will be a good stress reliever for you.

• Options
    I swam once while DD was in the NICU and went for really long walks. I used to exercise 5-6 days a week, 2-3+yoga while I was PG. I really didn't want to be out in public while DD was in the hospital, but not because of germs, just because I was not emotionally ready. If you feel you are, thn go for it! Exercise is my #1 stress reliever.
  • Options

I would go.  I think staying healthy, exercising, will reduce stress which is good for your immune system anyway.  Wash your hands well.

I figure I probably was exposed to as much stuff at church, work, and the grocery as the gym, and Andrew was in the NICU during RSV season (Dec-April) and I never got sick.  Just wash wash wash...

• Options

thanks for the advice ladies. 

i also asked the nurses and they too said it would be fine as long as i shower and wash wash wash my hands.

one smart ass nurse (who i adore) of course also added "just don't lick any machines and then come and lick the baby".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"