High-Risk Pregnancy

3cm cervix at 22 weeks- a teacher. Thoughts?

I hope it's ok to ask this here. I had my 22 weeks U/S last week (although really I'm 21 weeks- long story) and my cervix measured at exactly 3cm. I'm a kindergarten teacher and on my feet all day long. My doctor wants me to come back in a month for a follow up U/S to check for shortening and in the meantime, told me not to change my routine in any way. I assume he wants to get the most accurate picture of what's going on.

I'll admit I'm nervous. I know 3-5 is "normal" but he definitely seemed to imply that just 3 with a job like mine is worth monitoring and I'm glad he's being proactive. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Is 3 good enough that I should try not to think about it for a month? How worried should I be? 

Thanks for any input. I'm telling myself there will be no change in a month but it's nerve wracking wondering if it's getting shorter every day and I won't know until September 21st!

Re: 3cm cervix at 22 weeks- a teacher. Thoughts?

• Is this your first pregnancy? Do you have any history that causes concern?

I've come to realize there's a lot of anxiety associated with pregnancy---wish I could be one of these women who breezes through!

I had a cervical length check at week 16, due to previous loss. At that time my cervix measured 4 cm. Unfortunately 2 weeks later is measured 3cm & after another 2 weeks was at 2cm. I think this demonstrated to me that my cervix wasn't going to shrink completely over night, unless labor started. I also did not change my routine, although I tried to limit my use of the stairs & stopped lifting, pushing, pulling.

I think if you have no history to indicate concern, that 4 weeks is reasonable until your next appt. If you feel a need to go in sooner, talk to your doc about the possibility of doing so. If you notice any changes, fluid leakage, bleeding, increased pelvic pressure call your doc immediately.

Good Luck!

• Luckily I don't have any other risk factors at this point and haven't had any unusual pressure or bleeding, which my OB mentioned as a good sign. So we're just going to wait and watch and keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully I will get good news in a month and if it's not great, then I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I do have a regular appointment in two weeks so I can hopefully get some more useful info from him then.

Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • at my what should have been 20wk (was 19wk) U/S i was cleared to go to Fl for vacation, where I did A LOT of walking. At that time I was told I measured 3cm amd was scheduled to retun in 3wks (the wk I returned home). When I went to the Dr. I measured at 1.98cm and was instructed to got to L&D to discuss a cerclage. They did nit see any contractions and sent me home on full / strict bedrest (on B/R for almost 1wk now). We whent back three days later and still measursed 1.98 and was told to monior symptoms and stay on bed rest, still would not perform cerlage at that time, even though mentally and emotionally I was ready for it (will do anything to being my baby healthy into this world). This is not to scare you in anyway. I am just providing information about my personal experiance. The other indivual is right I wich I couls go through my pregnancy with a breeze, as my SIL who is now in her late 7th month and has had no complications, whihc makes this even harder. Just monitor yourself and sometime its not easy. Best of luck  
  • At my 20w U/S (which I was only 18 weeks), I measured 2.0. My doc asked about my job and I told him I sit at a desk all day. He asked if I could work from home, and luckily, I am able to. He wanted me to do that, laid back in the recliner, with my laptop on my lap. So that is what I did. I went back at 20w and measured almost 3, then 2 weeks later, I was back at 2.0. He then ordered no pelvic activity or stimulation, cause I was having minimal contractions, but nothing consistent. I went last week and measured 3.0. Although he still has me working from home, he said being laid back in the recliner keeps pressure off my cervix. If your doctor has not ordered any change in your activity, keep everything the same, maybe try and rest more when you are home from teaching. Hope all goes well.

• Thanks again ladies. I'm trying to follow doctors orders and hoping for the best but three more weeks sound like such a long time when I'm on my feet for 6-7 hours a day. I'm definitely scared that my cervix will be dramatically shorter when I return for that follow up and will get my classroom ready, just in case, so that if I get put on bedrest, I won't be leaving a mess for anyone else.

Here's hoping...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"