Hawaii Babies

BFing Mamas: Baby Allergies

Does anyone keep track of what they're eating day-to-day along with what their babies' poop/other symptoms are to see what their LO may be allergic to?

I had previously read all these warnings about babies' allergies due to mom's bm from what the mom eats, but never paid too much attention to them since I figured it can't be that bad. But I started to notice on certain days, LO has green liquid-y poop that's not seedy like it usually is and is more frequent than usual , which according to BabyCenter may be diarrhea due to allergies (and he'll spit up a lot & sometimes have a small rash on his face). I'm still trying to figure out exactly what is causing it, although I think it's most likely corn since I notice it happening usually a feeding or two after I eat corn and will last for the rest of the day.

Was I supposed to avoid all potentially allergic foods (dairy, corn, eggs, shellfish, etc) when bfing and introduce them one at a time every 2 weeks? I'm already avoiding broccoli since I heard it gives babies gas. I didn't realize/know our diets needed to be that strict while bfing. It's almost stricter than being pg!

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies

Re: BFing Mamas: Baby Allergies

• I don't think it works that way. I avoided broccoli at first but then I read it's a myth that it causes gas in babies. I've never heard that you should avoid allergenic foods. Our bodies should filter anything that is potentially harmful to baby, you know? Maybe he's teething? Not sure about the spitting up but the rash and diarrhea could be due to excess saliva from teething.
  • I didn't really avoid certain foods. But once I ate pumpkin soup and the next day Alexa had the kind of poo you are describing, green and seedy and runny. I called her Dr and she said there's a lot of fiber in pumpkin soup so that probably did it. But she wasn't too worried and didn't tell me to stay away from it...
    Malia & Dave & Alexa
    Happily married since 2-17-08! Three since 9-9-09!
    Baby Blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • A has had that typical yellow seedy poop, but his is often watery and orange (sometimes green). I don't watch my diet and, in fact, I try to eat a variety of foods so that he develops the taste for them. But I haven't suspected anything weird going on because he is rarely really gassy or fussy and his growth is on target.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i remember reading somewhere (maybe CNN?) about a mom who ended up cutting all wheat and dairy from her diet while bf'ing b/c it turned out her son was allergic - so i do think what you eat can impact the baby.  it took her a long time to figure it out though, since it was so many things.  gl figuring it out!  poor B - extra spit up and rash doesn't sound like fun Sad
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSanHawaii08:
    i remember reading somewhere (maybe CNN?) about a mom who ended up cutting all wheat and dairy from her diet while bf'ing b/c it turned out her son was allergic - so i do think what you eat can impact the baby.  it took her a long time to figure it out though, since it was so many things.  gl figuring it out!  poor B - extra spit up and rash doesn't sound like fun Sad

Hmm...now that you mention it I've read about people having issues on TB Breastfeeding board.  I wonder how that works.  For instance, you're not supposed to feed honey to babies under 1 year because of the posibility of botulism but it's not like we can't eat it when we're BF.  Wonder how allergenic things are different?

• Hm, maybe it's not as bad as I thought, which is what I originally assumed. I guess I just read a lot of different stuff about it. Even Parents magazine said try to avoid chocolate, broccoli, etc. Or maybe it was Pregnancy magazine. I just read it somewhere and started to be more aware of it, esp after I had lunch with an co-worker and she was shocked when she saw me eating shrimp cuz I'm nursing and she said it I should avoid it while bfing. I'm glad to hear a lot of you ladies didn't do anything like that cuz all this time I was feeling like I was the only one who wasn't paying extra attention to allergenic foods. But at the same time, I feel like something is causing the change in poop/rash/etc so I don't know...
  • imagesanae78:

imageSanHawaii08:
    i remember reading somewhere (maybe CNN?) about a mom who ended up cutting all wheat and dairy from her diet while bf'ing b/c it turned out her son was allergic - so i do think what you eat can impact the baby.  it took her a long time to figure it out though, since it was so many things.  gl figuring it out!  poor B - extra spit up and rash doesn't sound like fun Sad

Hmm...now that you mention it I've read about people having issues on TB Breastfeeding board.  I wonder how that works.  For instance, you're not supposed to feed honey to babies under 1 year because of the posibility of botulism but it's not like we can't eat it when we're BF.  Wonder how allergenic things are different?

I remember once, my OB told me that some of her patients avoid peanuts while pg to prevent allergies in the baby and I was thinking "you gotta be kidding me". How does the fetus possibly develop allergies in the womb!?! I guess the thing with allergies is that there are relatively lots of unknowns in that area of study...
  • yeah i don't avoid anything just b/c i am BFing. i eat everything like i normally would

we do avoid certain foods when we are giving her solids, but that is different of course.  as an aside - i gave her broccoflower and she did not get bad gas

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"