Cloth Diapering

gdiapers

Very interesting but my question is it more cost effective than other cloth diapers such as bumgenius and fuzzibunz. Or is like paying the same for a disposable diaper but more eco friendly?

I just started my research on cloth diapering and I was wondering if there is a site that talks about each one and the break down of them. I watched a bunch of youtube videos which is great to see the visual of it.

Does places like baby r us or baby usa have classes about this topic?

Re: gdiapers

• This board is a class itself, we all have plenty to say and will answer any questions you have, its a very friendli, non judgemental place. It is more expensive to start out with, but pays of in the end, in your wallet and for the earth. It may take a little patience at first, but I started with gdiapers, and I still really like them, but now Im starting to venture out into the CD world. Try ebay, they have lots of new CDs for cheap, I just bout 4 covers with 4 inserts for $10!!!
  • imageeaa18:
    This board is a class itself, we all have plenty to say and will answer any questions you have, its a very friendli, non judgemental place. It is more expensive to start out with, but pays of in the end, in your wallet and for the earth. It may take a little patience at first, but I started with gdiapers, and I still really like them, but now Im starting to venture out into the CD world. Try ebay, they have lots of new CDs for cheap, I just bout 4 covers with 4 inserts for $10!!!

ya the more research i do about the gdiapers the more i realized its just a better disposable diaper for the earth. Some sites that sell the gdiapers the price is just as much as the same amount of a regular diaper.

I am still very interested about CDs but no clue were to start. I looked at flip, bumgenius, and fuzzybunz. I got a long time to go with the LO but better get started somewhere right? 

One day killing time before i picked up the DH from work I went into baby r us to check out the CDs and they had none. I was shocked and disappointing. I wanted to grab, look, and feel the CDs.

All my friends that have kids are using regular diapers so i got really no one to talk to but the bump boards. Thank you so much ladies for all the insights.

• Loading the player...
  • also i saw your post about sepic system. I have one too and that was one question that came up watching the videos.
  • We bought some gDiapers because I think they will be great for traveling but I think we will also use other varieties of cloth diapers.

The gDiapers is cheaper than disposable if you are going to use the cloth inserts. ?If you are going to use the disposable inserts it is just more eco friendly.

We bought the cloth inserts and also have a bunch of disposables that I will use when travelling.?

?

?

• We use gdiapers and love them. 

The outer gpant is about $17-20 each. I have about 6 of them and the inner liners are about $2.50 and I have 4-6 extra liners. You can get a starter pack at babies r us. It has 2 gpants (with liners) and extra liner and a swish stick for about $30. 

I go between the cloth and disposable inserts. DD has very sensitive skin so gdiapers have been the only diaper to not cause serious skin allergies.

The pack of cloth (6 pack) was about $30 I think then you wash and dry them 6 times without any detergent before using them. They are VERY soft but after about 2.5 hours they will start to leak.

The pack of disposable inserts for one month is about $50. DD can go longer with the disposable on and when we are out flushing down a public toilet is very convenient. I don't flush at home because after 2-3 diapers my toilet clogged (we have new construction new plumbing) so I just throw the pee diapers in the trash and the poo gets flushed.

My biggest complaint is the poo on the liner and in public (if they poo) it becomes a big hassle to get everything changed over. This is especially hard when you have a LO who likes to roll over and try to crawl away.

Also night time. I put a cloth insert then a disposable and it does hold for the 12 hours but her butt is HUGE and it is very bulky.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • my gdiapers review (cost included) is in my beehive blog in siggy
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    The Bee Hive Blog
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!
    25 Weeks - GOAL MET 52.2 Pounds gone! 27 Weeks Total Pounds Lost: 54.0
  • We have gdiapers, and have never used the disposable inserts (and I have a box!) just the cloth. They're not bad, but she's starting to almost blow them out so they're definitely getting too small, now.They're not bad, and are very trim, but I much prefer my SmartNappies for a shell-and-insert system and my fitteds or pockets even though we do reach for the gdiapers a lot because they're easy for DH.

Do you have any natural baby stores around you? Have you asked on your local nest/bump board for stores? I'm fortunate to have a consignment store near me that carries a variety, as well as another store that carries a wide variety of cloth (and I know there have to be a couple more in town I haven't hit yet.)

If yu want your hands on a few, you could always order from somewhere like Jillian's Drawers or Kelly's Closet that has a good return policy, so you can get your hands on a few. And just do a lot of reading here. I bought my newborn stash off a friend on another forum, but the Bump has been pretty invaluable for getting ideas for the next step (we're going one-size pockets, possibly with a few fitteds thrown in.)

imageimage

• We use gdiapers with gcloth (not disposables).  So, MUCH cheaper than regular disposables... if we used their disposable inserts it would be more expensive than regulars.

We have had good luck with our gdiapers - The shells are $17 - 20 each and we go through 1 and maybe 2 in a day.    The plastic liners are on for 6 for $15 right now....  we go through 4 a day right now.   Poop does get on the plastic liner (it's to be expected - fabric bunches up in between legs), but does hold it in well.  I find it easy peasy to snap out the plastic liner and put a new one in.    The gcloth inserts are 6 for $30 - but, you can use other cloth inserts in them as well.  

What we spent for 2 kids:    12 med. little gpants:  $216 (I like variety of colour which is why it's high cost, but you could easily do it for less if you don't mind orange and white ---- for 12 orange and white it would $140 right now ---- of course, you wouldn't need that many for 1 child.   24 med. inserts @ $120.  Extra snap in liners ..... approx. 12 for $30.

I bought the new baby bundle and a pack of inserts for $180 to get Dominic up to mediums (I LOVE LOVE LOVE the newborn shells - they rock and hold the explosive newborn poop better huggies and pampers - that's even with the gcloth!!!)

So, total cost for 2 kids:  $546....  I don't think that's even crazy an amount for 1 child let alone 2.    So, it is pretty cost effective on a strict budget.    Of course, different diapers fit different babies different (lol - that's a lot of different!) So, a diaper trial would probably be a good idea.  Oh, and you can't beat the trim fit!

btw:  I like them for day trip to family members/friends or short shopping trips - I like that if it's a poopy diaper that I can snap out the liner and fold it up, put it in the wet bag - the poo is contained in the liner until I get home to clean it up......  sounds kind of gross, but it works.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"