Multiples
Options

Travel while pregnant with twins

Hi all! So sorry if this has been asked before. I'm 9w pregnant with twins, and we wanted to plan a trip to Californa around Thanksgiving. It's a 6 or 7 hour flight and I'll be 22 weeks. Were you on any travel restrictions this early? And if not, would you be comfortable enough to enjoy a trip like that? I have no idea how I will feel at that time....will I feel like walking around /exploring on our trip or will I be too tired?

Thanks so much for your advice!!

Re: Travel while pregnant with twins

• Options
    I flew at 15 weeks. I had horrible morning sickness that morning and threw up on the way to airport. The first 4 hour flight was awful trying not to vomit on the strangers next to me. The second leg was not so bad. Just try to walk as much as you can in between flights and during. Also dont get the first flight in the morning. It is so worth flying compared to driving. Just make sure to walk  and bring pillow!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm kind of a baby, but I'm not sure I would have the energy to walk around/explore right now and I'm only 17 weeks, but I also have a toddler in tow, so that can make a world of difference.
    Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd think you would be fine to travel at that time, but each pregnancy is different.  We drove from Chicago to Detroit for my baby shower around that time, and I felt okay.  It's a five hour drive, and with the exception of stopping to pee quite a few times, I felt okay.  Granted, I was VERY tired when we got there and the day or two after we got home, but other than that, it was doable.

I'm glad we made the trip too, because 5 weeks later I started having contractions and was put on strict bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy.

As far as walking/exploring, you really need to just trust your body and see how you feel once you're there - don't be afraid to take breaks, and make sure you drink plenty of water.  I carried a 20oz Thermos water bottle with me everywhere I went, and it helps.

Good luck!

• Options
    My dr put me on travel restrictions as of 20 weeks.  She said Labor Day was the last day I could fly or leave the city.  She is very cautious, and I have had no problems thus far to warrant any early restrictions.  I would ask your dr. now when you would be put on restriction.
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone -- it seems to vary for everyone. I will ask my doctor before we book the flights. Thanks again!!
  • Options

I went to the UK at 19/20 weeks.  The flight wasn't bad, but my peri insisted I get up and walk around every hour to fight off blood clots (and I was pretty much getting up every hour to pee anyway).  I did have a much harder time adjusting to time change that I normally do and I took a nap every afternoon.  But we still saw plenty of sights and enjoyed ourselves - just at a slower pace.

If you're feeling good and your doctor doesn't have any concerns, you should be fine at 22 weeks - although I wouldn't do it too much later than that.  I really slowed down around 25 weeks and hit the wall around 29/30 weeks. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Definitely check with your OB. We drove to Orlando (about 8 hrs) when I was 22.5-23.5w pregnant. I was glad we drove because we were able to stop every hour to walk around for 10 minutes, which my OB recommended. I got a lumbar support pillow which did help make the car more comfortable. I had to take things easy (rented a wheelchair at the parks b/c that would have been WAY too much standing in lines for an hour, walking, etc., especially in the September Orlando heat) but it was fun and definitely worth it.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"