Illinois Babies

Individual Health Insurance for Baby

We are looking for individual coverage for the baby once it's born in October due the premium to add a baby with our respective work insurance (BC/BS) being too expensive (over $600 a month just for the baby).  Does anyone have any suggestions for companies to look into or experience insuring just a child on an individual plan?  Any help getting started would be great. 

Re: Individual Health Insurance for Baby

• Hi - I'm in the exact same situation as you.  I'm due in October and the premium to add the baby is over $500 a month. I researched other options, but unfortunately didn't have much luck.   

What I found out was that most companies, including BCBS, won't enroll the baby before they are born because there is no name or birthdate.  So, the baby would not have been covered at birth until I could apply for BCBS.  I also looked into All Kids and found it to be much the same.  They told me that I could apply and once I was approved (45 days after applying) that they would go back and cover any expenses incurred from birth on.  However, not having something definite at the time of birth made me very nervous, so we are just going to pay the high premium to begin with.  When I called BCBS I could do a plan for my husband and the baby for less than the premium at work, so we will switch to that once I have open enrollment at work.  

I hope that helps.  I was really struggling looking for information regarding the same thing, and unfortunately, came across a lot of dead ends.  If you find out anything different and could post it here I'd love to know about it! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"