Maryland Babies

XP: CNAs, LPNs & RNs-Come in!

Hey there Ladies!

I very rarely post on this board but was hoping I could ask you for some advice/guidance in your field!

I am seriously researching quitting my job and taking a few years to get a nursing degree.  I have a bachelor's in sociology but am doing nothing with it and really feel like nursing is the ideal job for a working mommy.  There are so many options out there and I was hoping that you all could help me out.

What type of nursing degree do you have?

Where did you get it? What type of program did you complete your education through (accelerated, full time traditional, online, evening/weekends, etc.)?

What are you doing with your nursing degree now?

What path did you take to get where you are now (career progression)?

Where do you want to go in the future?

Do you see a big difference in starting salary/advancement opportunities for those with BSN versus AA?

Anything else?

Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to post info on the open forum Big Smile

Re: XP: CNAs, LPNs & RNs-Come in!

• I am not a nurse so I can't answer all of your questions but I have looked at possibly going to nursing school.  I highly recommend that you take if you haven't already to take the prerequisite courses for nursing school while you are still working.  It doesn't make a lot of fiscal sense otherwise bc they courses are sequenced so you wouldn't be able to go full time and knock them all out.  Instead, you could take them while working so that you aren't out all of your salary before starting nursing school.  Secondly, if you don't already have it start volunteering in some medical capacity as most nursing schools will want to see that before you apply.  I know that for myself personally if I end up going to nursing school I am going to go to a program at the community college as it is highly regarded and a lot cheaper.  Then once I graduate from there I will pursue getting a BSN as I figure that my new employer would help pay for the additional schooling.  GL with whatever you decide!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been a pediatric nurse for 4 years. I went to nursing school at Towson. I know Hopkins has an accelerated 13 month program for people who have a previous degree, but Hopkins is pretty expensive. I have a BSN. We have a few nurses who have AA degrees and I know Hopkins hires all nurses at the same pay rate. Hopkins will also pay for nurses to get their BSN after they are working there. My job is very flexible because I make my own schedule. I can work all weekends or nights if I want, so we will not need to have a babysitter or daycare. Nursing is a very rewarding profession. Feel free to ask me more questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"