Birth Stories

Thoughts on Home Birth?

DH and I are expecting our first.  The more we think about it, the more we feel inclined to have a CNM-attended home birth.  We have a healthy, low-risk pregnancy (so far), have found a great small group practice in which all midwives are CNMs, well trained, etc.  We live only a few miles from a great hospital should a transfer of me, baby, or both be needed.  However, our friends and family think we've LOST our minds.  So we're doing a collective gut check here.  Any home birth stories-positive or negative-that might sway us?  

Re: Thoughts on Home Birth?

• I would never consider it myself but I don't have a personal story to share. My girlfriends (3 of them) have had natural birth starts, gone the the hospital, gotten to the pushing stage and realized that their pelvis wasn't big enough right at the end. 3 emergency C-sections and a lot of blood loss in 2 cases. You don't want to deal with this kind of thing at home! To say that you can always go to the hospital nearby seems easy now but I've had pre-term labor contractions and I can't imagine getting in a car during post-transition labor with all that fluid, blood and pain. You don't even want to wear pants!

Good luck to you on this important decision. I'd rather be safe than sorry. The way I think about it is its my baby life that could be compromised....that's not a small thing to leave up to chance with a nurse at my house.

• imageleah520:

I would never consider it myself but I don't have a personal story to share. My girlfriends (3 of them) have had natural birth starts, gone the the hospital, gotten to the pushing stage and realized that their pelvis wasn't big enough right at the end. 3 emergency C-sections and a lot of blood loss in 2 cases. You don't want to deal with this kind of thing at home! To say that you can always go to the hospital nearby seems easy now but I've had pre-term labor contractions and I can't imagine getting in a car during post-transition labor with all that fluid, blood and pain. You don't even want to wear pants!

Good luck to you on this important decision. I'd rather be safe than sorry. The way I think about it is its my baby life that could be compromised....that's not a small thing to leave up to chance with a nurse at my house.

Were they allowed to change positions as they pleased?  Did their doctor know about ways to open the pelvis up further?  (Pressing from both sides, using gravity, etc.?)  Cases like these are rare with home births, and it's actually very rare to be too small to deliver your own baby.  My midwife's hospital transfer rate is 6% for first-time moms; her C-section rate is 3%, and she is pretty conservative with her transfers.

A midwife is not just some nurse that you take a chance with, they have had extensive training and experience and are knowledgeable in neonatal resuscitation, and in my state can give stitches and an IV if needed. 

My advice, OP, is to do the research.  Don't just let people tell you it's a terrible idea.  You need to figure out if it's something you want to do and if you are a good candidate.  I read a lot of home birth stories (including some that ended in transfer & C-Section) before making my decision.  There are a number of people on the Natural Birth board who have had sucessful home births and I loved reading their birth stories.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageleah520:

I would never consider it myself but I don't have a personal story to share. My girlfriends (3 of them) have had natural birth starts, gone the the hospital, gotten to the pushing stage and realized that their pelvis wasn't big enough right at the end. 3 emergency C-sections and a lot of blood loss in 2 cases. You don't want to deal with this kind of thing at home! To say that you can always go to the hospital nearby seems easy now but I've had pre-term labor contractions and I can't imagine getting in a car during post-transition labor with all that fluid, blood and pain. You don't even want to wear pants!

You are so wrong and obviously ignorant on homebirth that it's not even funny. 

OP, if you and your H want to have a homebirth and can do so safely with a licensed CNM, then it's your decision to make. Tell your family to STFU and do your thing. GL.

• I don't think you're crazy.  We planned a homebirth.  The first person that talked to us about it planned a homebirth and had to be transferred for a C-section, had #2 c-sec, and then had #3-6 at home as VBACs.  After hearing her story, I was ready to talk to a MW.  Best decision, ever.  Some of our family thought we were crazy, but our MW was great.  We ended up having to be induced at 23 days past EDD, after a BPP.  Our MW stayed with us and recommended a great OB (that taught Bradley method and trained for awhile as a MW before becoming an OB).  I totally look forward to have homebirths with whatever other children God provides.  I wish I could have the same MW, but we moved crosscountry.  Good luck with your decision.  Check out the natural birth board.
  • Thanks All!

Especially for pointing out the natural birth board.  I somehow did not see that when I was scrolling through the options of where to pose my questions...sorry about that Embarrassed.

I am a public health professional, with a background in maternal and child health.  Academically, the research is clear that a home birth by a skilled, well-trained attendant such as a CNM would be safe for me as long as I remain healthy, don't get gestational diabetes or eclampsia, deliver before 37 weeks or go more than 2 weeks beyond EDD, and cognitively, I think it's the right choice because it removes all the risks associated with a hospital birth (being induced or otherwise medicated, forced to remain supine, or receiving a c-section when not absolutely medically necessary + exposing my baby to healthcare associated infections) which are FAR more likely to happen than any of the complications likely to send me to the hospital if I give birth at home.

I generally wish I could say I were a dainty gal with a small pelvis, but I have been 'blessed' with some pretty wide childbearing hips!  This is not really a blessing during most of one's life, but in pregancy and child birthing, I'd say is. 

I just didn't realize how hard it would be to ward off skeptical--and agressively so--friends and family. 

• I am planning a home birth an feel completely comfortable with the decision.  My midwives are extremely well respected, even at the hospital we would (hopefully not) transfer to.  My local hospital has a 36% c-section rate; my midwives have a 2% c-section rate.  Considering that you live close to a hospital, I wouldn't worry about it.  

Contrary to pp, "emergency" c-sections are rare.  Most of the time they're done for "failure to progress," etc. - not "emergencies."  Considering that 66% of "emergency" c-sections are done during business hours, that seems a bit too convenient to me.  

If, for some strange reason, it was deemed that I needed a c-section, my midwives call the hospital and tell them I'm coming in.  I live 10 minutes from the hospital, so they can get the OR prepped while I'm transferring.  It really won't take that much longer than if I had been in the hospital laboring the whole time.  (I've already done my pre-admit paperwork as a precaution).      

• imageLacyFM:

Thanks All!

Especially for pointing out the natural birth board.  I somehow did not see that when I was scrolling through the options of where to pose my questions...sorry about that Embarrassed.

I am a public health professional, with a background in maternal and child health.  Academically, the research is clear that a home birth by a skilled, well-trained attendant such as a CNM would be safe for me as long as I remain healthy, don't get gestational diabetes or eclampsia, deliver before 37 weeks or go more than 2 weeks beyond EDD, and cognitively, I think it's the right choice because it removes all the risks associated with a hospital birth (being induced or otherwise medicated, forced to remain supine, or receiving a c-section when not absolutely medically necessary + exposing my baby to healthcare associated infections) which are FAR more likely to happen than any of the complications likely to send me to the hospital if I give birth at home.

I generally wish I could say I were a dainty gal with a small pelvis, but I have been 'blessed' with some pretty wide childbearing hips!  This is not really a blessing during most of one's life, but in pregancy and child birthing, I'd say is. 

I just didn't realize how hard it would be to ward off skeptical--and agressively so--friends and family. 

You can ignore what I had to say!  I didn't see that you had already posted!  It seems like you already know all of the reasons why a home birth can be safe.  The NNB is a great place to find advice on how to deal with people who are against your decision.  I just encountered a pediatrician who was very anti-home birth, so it's nice to have a group to talk with when things like that happen!   

• Just a comment from the other side, I had both of my kids in the hospital and LOVED it... My Dr's were great, and listened to what I wanted, I was able to move as needed, and had a 3 day rest period with both of my boys before having to go home and deal with laundry, cooking, cleaning exc... I enjoyed the ability to just focus on my baby without having to worry that eventually someone would have to make dinner, or do laundry/clean up from the birth exc... not to say DH wouldnt help because he would, but it is still a lot of work... IMHO
  • I had a wonderful, healthy home birth with my son and am planning the same for this new babe. I absolutely loved the experience, felt safe at all times, and had an incredibly fast recovery with no need for stitches. The one on one attention was amazing (my midwife was at our house for almost 24 hours!) And I LOVED being at home afterwards. We has plenty of food frozen ahead of time though for days and days family and friends brought us food, my midwives did all the cleanup and laundry without me even noticing before they left. It was just total bliss to be left uninterrupted with our new family. My midwife came to our house the next couple of days to check on us. Just a really personal, loving, attentive experience which I highly recommend to anyone who feels that their home will be the place where they will be most comfortable. For others, the hospital is the place that gives them a sense of peace. Others want a birth center to bridge these worlds. It really matters what you want because your body will be able to do what comes most naturally to it if you are in a place of comfort and relaxation.
  • I tried to have a home birth on Memorial Day of this year. My labor was wonderful and was never painful. I really feel that it was so smooth due to the fact that I  was at home and I could eat, drink, move, and wear whatever I pleased. I did end up transferring to the hospital after 6 hours of pushing because I was just exhausted. It was by no means any type of emergency, my husband drove me and the ride post transition was really not that bad. I laid down in the back seat, (there was no mess and fluids as pp mentioned) but that was only my experience.

Even though I did end up with a c section because I had a large 9lb 11oz baby and he was face up, I would not trade my time in labor at home for anything in the world! And I would not be at all afraid to try a vbac at home as long as my future pregnancies are low risk and everything is normal along the way. Good luck to you whatever you decide, but dont let family and friends make you feel bad about your decision. Our crowd was not supportive at first either, but when we did our research and showed them some actual studues they staarted to keep their comments to themselves.

• imageLacyFM:

We're not telling too many people.  My mom thinks it's cool, my dad was born at home himself (they aren't hippies but they are from Europe), MIL is from South America where home births are more common, and SIL had a natural birth herself although they decided to go the hospital route.  I haven't told my sister yet, she is an MD so I'm a little apprehensive about her reaction.  Other than that group, I don't think it's anyone's business how I plan to deliver.
  • imageNominomi:
    Just a comment from the other side, I had both of my kids in the hospital and LOVED it... My Dr's were great, and listened to what I wanted, I was able to move as needed, and had a 3 day rest period with both of my boys before having to go home and deal with laundry, cooking, cleaning exc... I enjoyed the ability to just focus on my baby without having to worry that eventually someone would have to make dinner, or do laundry/clean up from the birth exc... not to say DH wouldnt help because he would, but it is still a lot of work... IMHO

Thank you for this perspective.  You are so lucky to have a progressive providers that respected your wishes and allow you to labor as you wish.  If only more docs were like that! 

I don't really have or know of any true horror stories from hospital births.  Every girlfriend, sister-in-law, etc. I have delivered in a hospital.  They've also all had some form of intervention (mostly induction and epidurals) and most went in planning to deliver naturally.

I live in a major urban area where all ob-gyns are group practices.  If I had been able to find a practice where I would definitively KNOW who would deliver my baby (barring any odd emergency) and respect my choices/birth plan, I might be more comfortable.  Some of the docs and midwives I saw there were great, others were horrifying. There are a couple of docs that are single providers, but it is impossible to get into their practice (huge wait lists, have to know someone, etc). 

Most of the group practices have so many docs and midwives that you cannot even meet all of them in the many prenatal check-ups required. When you deliver, you get whoever's on call at the hospital that day.  I started my prenatal care in such a practice.  Compared to most practices the group is fairly highly rated and has a fairly low c-section rate (still 28%) and induction rate (just over 40%--seems like you cannot go 1 hour past your EDD without being induced).  It's really hard to argue with clinicians, especially when they're strangers, and they throw endless data, test results, and 'in my professional opinions' at you when you don't feel well.

The 3 days of rest (no laundry, cleaning, etc) sound VERY appealing and would definitely on the + side, but assuming I have a healthy routine birth, I'd expect to be discharged within 24 hours anyway.  I plan to task my husband and mother with those responsibilities.  I am usually a supreme hostess when people are in my home, but I've put the family on notice that if they want food they better cook it or order take out!   My only job for week 1 after the birth is to feed the baby, take care of him and myself.  They must take care of themselves, the cleaning, dishes, etc.

• I had my first baby in a hospital, by c/s.  I had my second baby in a hospital with a CNM and had an unmedicated VBAC (I labored at home--we left and as soon as we got in the car I felt the urge to push--the ride to the hospital wasn't fun by any means, but it wasn't awful either, got to the hospital and pushed my baby out.  The only "intervention" I had was that the nurse held a monitor on my belly when I pushed (I wouldn't let them strap it on) and I had a pulse monitor on my finger.  My third baby will be born at home.

When H and I were discussing what we wanted to do about this baby's birth, I came to the conclusion that the first time the hospital skrewed my over, the second time they did nothing but stress me out, so I wasn't go back.

I feel safe at home, much much MUCH safer than I do in a hospital.  We haven't told many people that we are having a homebirth (CPM assisted), but those we have had asked "do you think that's safe?"  My feeling are that most of the time hospitals cause the problems they fix.  Plus, the US neonatal mortality rate is sort of scary and I feel like I want to what the people with a lower rate are doing.  They are having midwife assisted homebirths.  My body isn't broken, I'm not sick, I see no reason to go to a hospital.

I also want to add that, 3 years ago, I thought anyone who even dreamed of homebirth was crazy and taking unnecessary risks.  Then I started reading and my mind was changed.

If you feel more comfortable birthing your baby at home, I say by all means go for it!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I had my daughter in the hospital, and her birth was amazing and beautiful.

I had my son at home, and his birth was amazing and beautiful as well.

To me, the biggest differences, and the reasons I will have the next baby at home (should there BE a next baby and should everything be healthy enough for a homebirth) are:

- Continuity of care: My MW and her apprentices knew me, understood me, knew exactly what I wanted from the birth, what my fears were, how to tell what I needed from them and when, etc. And they genuinely cared not just FOR me, but ABOUT me. They were amazing. And when I went into labor, I *knew* who would be there for the birth.

- Safety/security: No interventions, no risk of hospital-borne diseases or infections, feeling safe and able to birth how I needed and how my baby needed.

- Not ending in a c/s: we knew early on my baby was 'bigger' (8 lb 12 oz) and probably posterior. He also had a nuchal hand (hand by the face). With an OB in a hospital, I have no doubt I would have been fighting every step to avoid induction and c/s.

I wrote about my son's birth on my blog, and if you're looking for a positive homebirth story, I'd say it's one. :) You can also click on the 'topics' in my right-hand column to read posts tagged 'homebirth' for more about how I chose my MW, what appointments were like, etc.

GL with your decision!

• I'm in NZ and our hospitals have a completely different attitude to natural births than it seems American ones do.

Most births are attended by a midwife unless they are high risk. 

So I birthed in the hospital. I used the shower and tub for pain relief. They had a birth stool and heat packs. Throughout my pregnancy I had an internal exam twice, once when I arrived at the hospital and once when I said I wanted to push.

I've known 12 women give birth in the last year. Only one of them needed an emergency c-section. ie during pregnancy and labour there was no need to suspect the birth would not go ahead naturally.

My ONLY reason for choosing to birth in the hospital is that I cannot imagine anything worse than transferring at the last minute in intense labour during an emergency. Even though I had a low risk pregnancy, i find the idea of having medical care on hand to be relaxing and I think being relaxed goes a long way towards a natural birth.

If our hospitals had the same high intervention attitude as America I would probably feel differently.

I think the important thing to consider is what will be most relaxing and soothing for YOU, ignore your family, their opinions are irrelevant. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Yep, we had a wonderful homebirth.

Labored 7.5 hours pushed for 1.25  had an 8.4 little girl and thoroughly enjoyed being at home for our FIRST child with a very competent midwife.

Birth is natural and what our bodies are designed to do. Yes, C-sections are wonderful things when needed but I firmly believe that 99% of the female population if they take care of themselves have no need for a c-section.

There ARE circumstances that call for them but many times their are many c-sections performed that don't need to be.

Our C-section rate is entirely too high, people are afraid of what their bodies are designed to do.

Don't let anyone on here tell you that you are making the wrong decision.

Do all of your research and if you are LOW risk  then make your decision on the home birth.

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• imageCTri17:

Yep, we had a wonderful homebirth.

Labored 7.5 hours pushed for 1.25  had an 8.4 little girl and thoroughly enjoyed being at home for our FIRST child with a very competent midwife.

Birth is natural and what our bodies are designed to do. Yes, C-sections are wonderful things when needed but I firmly believe that 99% of the female population if they take care of themselves have no need for a c-section.

There ARE circumstances that call for them but many times their are many c-sections performed that don't need to be.

Our C-section rate is entirely too high, people are afraid of what their bodies are designed to do.

Don't let anyone on here tell you that you are making the wrong decision.

Do all of your research and if you are LOW risk  then make your decision on the home birth.

Another Arizona homebirther! Can I ask who your MW was?

• hello neighbor! i also live in alexandria and i bet i know who your CNM practice is! one of the owners caught my younger brother 25 years ago today!

homebirth is an amazing experience that i think all mothers should have access to. both of my siblings were born at home and it was the most profound experience of my life.

i planned a homebirth for my first child, but a complication after i reached 10cm sent us to the hospital. i am planning an HWBAC for this baby with a wonderful CPM whom i adore.

homebirth is safe, and when attended by a certified, trained and experienced MW, can be an incredibly rewarding experience for the whole family. you will encounter opposition, but you will also learn to ignore and not engage in conversation those who are unsupportive. there are plenty of uninformed know-it-alls out there who seem to only want to frighten you out of your desires. don't let their ignorance and fear influence your decision. base your decision on facts and your own preferences. 

if you decide to homebirth, there are adorable onesies available on this website: www.preciousarrows.com 

G/L!

• imagejteneback:
    imageleah520:

Were they allowed to change positions as they pleased?  Did their doctor know about ways to open the pelvis up further?  (Pressing from both sides, using gravity, etc.?)  Cases like these are rare with home births, and it's actually very rare to be too small to deliver your own baby.  My midwife's hospital transfer rate is 6% for first-time moms; her C-section rate is 3%, and she is pretty conservative with her transfers.

A midwife is not just some nurse that you take a chance with, they have had extensive training and experience and are knowledgeable in neonatal resuscitation, and in my state can give stitches and an IV if needed. 

My advice, OP, is to do the research.  Don't just let people tell you it's a terrible idea.  You need to figure out if it's something you want to do and if you are a good candidate.  I read a lot of home birth stories (including some that ended in transfer & C-Section) before making my decision.  There are a number of people on the Natural Birth board who have had sucessful home births and I loved reading their birth stories.

it is SO incredibly rare to have this happen it would be the LAST thing i'd be worrying about. I actually honestly don't even believe it.

check out the natural birth board... 

• WIth my daughter I wanted a homebirth, but we couldnt afford it. :( This time around we're planning a homebirth and Im thrilled beyong words to say the least. ;)

I had a natural birth with my daughter, though at a hospital. While Im happy with her birth story, theres much about it Im displeased with. ALL of with couldve been remedied by choosing a midwife and a homebirth.

My pregnancy with my duaghter was picture perfect, my only snag was anemia, which was fixed by taking an iron supplement. Her birth went smoothly- around 6 hours of active labor, and 15 minutes of pushing. I jumped from 3 cm to pushing in about 20 minutes. My midwives backup OB who had to sign off on my low risk status even stated upon hearing this "Oh, so you SHOULD be having babies at home then." HAHAHA! I love it! My midwives have my file FLAGGED, when I call, they COME NOW. Because who knows how long my 2nd labor will be. ;)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oooooookay, just read this debate going on about csection.

Let me address the "small pelvis" crap.

Im 5'3''. I weigh 105 soaking wet. When I was pregnant with my daughter, first trimester, I was told I would NEED a csection bc Im too small to vaginally have babies.

I had a natural birth. WIth only 15 minutes pushing time.

That small pelvis thing is such a load. For one, in a normal pregnancy, your body will not make a baby it cannot handle. Also, during pregnancy and birth your pelvic muscles and bones shift so to accomodate a passing baby. The baby also SQUISHES down to fit through. WIth is incredibly beneficial for the baby to be born vaginally; it squeezes the fluid from its lungs, jump starts the immune system by being introduced to the bacteria in the vagina. Birth is not meant to be sterile. Birth is not meant to be medical (unless in a true emergency). Birth is normal and natural. Its just a part of life.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageflowerchild77:

Oooooookay, just read this debate going on about csection.

Let me address the "small pelvis" crap.

Im 5'3''. I weigh 105 soaking wet. When I was pregnant with my daughter, first trimester, I was told I would NEED a csection bc Im too small to vaginally have babies.

I had a natural birth. WIth only 15 minutes pushing time.

That small pelvis thing is such a load. For one, in a normal pregnancy, your body will not make a baby it cannot handle. Also, during pregnancy and birth your pelvic muscles and bones shift so to accomodate a passing baby. The baby also SQUISHES down to fit through. WIth is incredibly beneficial for the baby to be born vaginally; it squeezes the fluid from its lungs, jump starts the immune system by being introduced to the bacteria in the vagina. Birth is not meant to be sterile. Birth is not meant to be medical (unless in a true emergency). Birth is normal and natural. Its just a part of life.

so true!  I have a girlfriend who is probably 5'3" and maybe 90 lbs.  She pushed out her 9lb baby in her bedroom!  another girlfriend with the same build had her baby vaginally after 2 c/s with no problems.  It can be done if you give the mama time and let her move freely!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"