Pregnant after 35
Options

pregnant and the NYCDOE

Does anyone else work for the New York City Dept. of Education?

I was surfing the net to find out about maternity leave, twins, c-sections, and leave of absence. Really anything to do with any rules or regulations we need to be aware of. I haven't had much luck with my searches. I just want to know what my rights are before i return to work. I want to make sure I get all that am entitled to especially since I've invested 12 years to the system. It amazes me how much information is left hush hush but there is so much information out there, we just need to ask.

The down side is my husband is on my insurance. What i did find out is:

1. The policy is changing from 2 months to 3 months this Jan. 2011. Yet all hear say. I found nothing to confirm this on line.

2. If you take a year off your insurance will lapse after 4 months.You will be better off if you husband has insurance than you can go under his.

3. You can use cobra as a substitute to your GHI coverage through the city which isn't suppose to so bad. I know of no one who uses cobra.

4. You can have up to 4 years as a leave of absence. Four years! No one would have told me this!

Anything else anyone can share will be greatly appreciated.

Re: pregnant and the NYCDOE

• Options

Unfortunately I have no info for you, I am in California, but I would think the ladies on your local New York Board might know more.

Good luck, I know I can get state disability and PFL from California but my employer offers nothing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I work for the DOE too.  The best people for you to talk to is your union (CSA & UFT have different leave rules than DC 37) and your payroll secretary.

This is what I do know:

1. You can apply and take childcare leave until the child turns 4 yrs old;

2. You can have one child, you can have triplets - the same rules apply.

3. Six weeks for vaginal birth, Eight weeks for C-Section.

4. COBRA is a law that would allow you to keep your GHI, but you'd pay monthly for it.  It does run out after a certain time.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageirishchick76:

I work for the DOE too.  The best people for you to talk to is your union (CSA & UFT have different leave rules than DC 37) and your payroll secretary.

This is what I do know:

1. You can apply and take childcare leave until the child turns 4 yrs old;

2. You can have one child, you can have triplets - the same rules apply.

3. Six weeks for vaginal birth, Eight weeks for C-Section.

4. COBRA is a law that would allow you to keep your GHI, but you'd pay monthly for it.  It does run out after a certain time.

Good luck!

thanks so much for the information. i will speak with my payroll secretary when i return to work.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"