Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

1st birthdays and our holiday babies

I know that many of you will have the same/similar problem as we do....

My DD was born Nov 30th.. so her bday will always be around Thanksgiving... when many of our family/friends go away...

Not sure of what to do for her bday... just immediate family on that Sunday after Thanksgiving....? or do a big party with extended family and friends the week before??

MY DH told his parents to  come to the east coast Thanksgiving weekend....they got their plane tix... I really feel bad doing something the week before....without them....

and as for 1st bdays.. what kinds of things do YOU plan to do/have???  I can get a rec center room.. haven't been to a 1 yr old party in a long time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 1st birthdays and our holiday babies

• Options
    Brody has 12/31 birthday, so we're going to have multiple celebrations. My grandparents leave for their winter in FL right after Christmas, so we'll celebrate B's birthday during our family Christmas.

As far as his "real" birthday party, we're having it on Jan 1 since it's on a Saturday. Even though it's a holiday, nobody we know really has plans on New Years Day and we're only inviting immediate family anyway. Whoever can come will come...no biggie if people can't make it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

For most of the people that I know who have already gone through 1st b-days, it gets to be a pretty big deal.  (I know that varies on here, and by area around the country/world, but my group of friends, it tends to be pretty big)  That said, maybe you could have a bigger party with friends and family the week before, then when your IL's get to you, you can do a small family only party on the Sunday after. 

IMO, family doens't mind celebrating 1st bdays more than once lol. 

As for us, we're renting a rec center.  My FIL kinda runs the center, so it's not a big deal for us to get it, and we have a bunch of friends and family we will probably invite.  More friends than I'd really like to, but we have to reciprocate for all the 1st b-day parties we've been invited to. 

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me. - Led Zeppelin
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    imageimage image
    Chemical Pregnancy 10/5/10
    BFP 2/7/11--m/c 2/12/11
    TTD pics taken by knottie jen&louie :o)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

S was born 12/29- after Xmas, right before New Years. I feel so bad for her but we promise to always make sure to make her bday very special- regardless if others choose to participate or not. Hopefully her 1st Bday can be a special one, but I don't plan to do anything out of the oridinary as far as scheduling goes... I figure I'll send invites a month ahead and who can come, can come.

As for the party itself, I haven't put too much thought into it but since S doesn't watch TV or have any favorite character or anything that I can tell, I'm hoping to keep things simple with vibrant colors and stay away from a certain theme. We're moving this weekend into a much bigger place, so I'm sure we'll have it at our place- in the city, with crap parking, and probably with a foot of snow. Like I said, who can come can come. Either way, it WILL be a BFD because she's our little superstar. ; )

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We're lucky in that Tegan's birthday is December 10th and so it somewhat falls into the middle time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's too late for people to still be out of town for Thanksgiving and too early for Christmas. We plan on having her party on December 11th at our house. We're actually kind of doing two parties in one day. We'll start the birthday party around 3 PM and have veggie and fruit, cracker and cheese trays for the adults, with hot dogs and other finger foods for the little kids. We'll do food, presents and cake (not necessarily in that order) from about 3-6 PM and then starting at 6 PM, DH and I are going to turn the party into a celebration for us making it through the first year. We plan on frying some turkeys, our good friends and family will stay and hang out and we plan on drinking, eating and being merry, lol!

I don't mind who hangs over from the party, but I plan on inviting most of the kids from Tegan's daycare class to the party and I think at least a few of them will come to the party. I don't think their parents will hang around for very long with their own kiddos, but I do know that our good friends will hang out forever, ha!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagebridgeybride:

I know that many of you will have the same/similar problem as we do....

My DD was born Nov 30th.. so her bday will always be around Thanksgiving... when many of our family/friends go away...

Not sure of what to do for her bday... just immediate family on that Sunday after Thanksgiving....? or do a big party with extended family and friends the week before??

MY DH told his parents to  come to the east coast Thanksgiving weekend....they got their plane tix... I really feel bad doing something the week before....without them....

and as for 1st bdays.. what kinds of things do YOU plan to do/have???  I can get a rec center room.. haven't been to a 1 yr old party in a long time.

Our LO's are the same age!

Unfortunately we will have to do her birthday and Thanksgiving at the same time with DH family, they live about 3.5 hours away.  As for the party here, we will probably plan it for the Sunday after Thanksgiving, which will be the 27th and just have a sort of small family type party with just close family and friends..

• Options
    DS has a 12/23 birthday, which will always be difficult with the holidays and our families both living out of town.  I think we'll try to celebrate it on 1/1 this year. It's too hard to do it early, since it's the holiday season, and I don't want to wait any later than a week or so afterwards. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DS was born 12/21.  We'll probably always have his b-day celebration the weekend before (when it falls that way).

Most of our family lives in town or is retired and can make the drive.  We're not having a huge knock down drag out b-day party for him until he can actually remember it.  :)

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Options
    My daughter was born on Thanksgiving, so this year her birthday is the day after. We're going to celebrate the weekend before when my mom and sister are visiting and all of our friends are in town. We may always celebrate a week before or a week after. I don't mind having her party early or late. On her actual birthday my husband and I will do something special for her. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Norah was born on Christmas day!  This year we're planning on having her party the following Saturday (New Year's Day), and we'll probably continue to do that until she is old enough to decide for herself when she wants to celebrate.

bishes be crazy
  • Options
    My baby was born a week before Christmas!!  I refuse to lump her birthday in with a Christmas theme, but it's so easy!  All kind of decorations available ... but I WON'T do it!  I have no idea what theme we will have, but it won't be Christmas!
  • Options

DD is 12/24 (xmas eve) we are doing her big party 2 weeks before on 12/11 and then we will do a small celebration on her actual birthday- maybe just get another small cake for her.

We are having her big party at our house, about 50 people, we have a pretty large house that is great for entertaining. It will be catered and we will serve dinner, drinks, and cake. I have not really thought about activities for the older kids that will be there yet. It's going to a be a monkey theme- so I am trying to find a company that rents trained monkey's for parties, but so far no luck.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter's birthday is christmas day - should be interesting this year. My sil's husband already complained last year that we were going to ruin his christmas ( my due date was 12/26 and ended up in labor on 12/25 ). I don't see how we ruined his christmas?? He didn't even visit me in the hospital the whole 3.5 days I was there??? Im not quite sure how we're going to celebrate this year... without listening to others complain :). My nephews birthday is 12/29 and we just do a party on new years day - most people have off that day anyway!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"