Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Can't keep the floor clean enough...

So, ever since Tegan started army crawling it seems like almost all her shirts and onesies are so dingy by the end of the day. I vacuum 1-2 times a day (we have 2 labs) and I'm sweeping the kitchen floor every day and mopping 1-2 times a week, but she still smells like dog and is all dingy by the end of the day. It's driving me crazy! I know that babies clean up and that I need to let her play on the floor, but it's hard to see her so smelly and dirty by the end of the day. Any suggestions?

I want to use some carpet fresh stuff, but I'm nervous about putting that on the carpet and then letting her crawl around, even after I've vaccuumed. Ugh!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can't keep the floor clean enough...

• Options
    Don't waste your money on the carpet stuff... just use regular baking soda!!! We've got two german shepherds and I use it all the time. It helps with that all too wonderful dog smell and it's much more affordable.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My dog is a short hair.  I thought long haired dogs shed more when we adopted him! HA HA HA Joke was on me.  He sheds more than any dog I've ever had.  I'm not a neat freak to begin with so this is one hot mess!  I vacuum the living room carpet (only carpet in the house) daily but the hard wood I don't do so much.  Ophelia eats more hair than most Embarrassed

I don't worry about it so I'm no help with what you are asking except to say that kids from pet home don't exhibit as many allergies later in life!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have used carpet fresh forever, and DS has spent lots of time on the floor (albeit, rolling around on a quilt or blanket) since he could barely roll over. Our dog also is a big time shedder, but ours has long hair, wiry hair. I prefer carpet fresh over baking soda because I like the scents and they don't seem to bother DS. If the scents didn't matter to me, I would just use banking soda. I do use it when I run out of scented stuff or don't feel like spending the money at the moment, though. And baking soda is generally much more allergy friendly.

• Options

I'd suggest getting a dyson!  We only have hardwood floors now but it's the best! 

We also have 2 German Shep's & we ended up having to keep them outside in the backyard!  I hate it b/c they've always been inside dogs, but I couldn't in conscience keep them indoors & have my kiddo crawl around in a huge pile of dog hair!  No matter how many times I swept & vaccumed...I would turn around & the floor would be covered again!

I agree the baking soda would be better than carpet fresh.  Maybe you can rent a carpet cleaner from walmart & clean your carpets like once a month or something!!

• Options
    imagemistywhite400:

I'd suggest getting a dyson!  We only have hardwood floors now but it's the best! 

We also have 2 German Shep's & we ended up having to keep them outside in the backyard!  I hate it b/c they've always been inside dogs, but I couldn't in conscience keep them indoors & have my kiddo crawl around in a huge pile of dog hair!  No matter how many times I swept & vaccumed...I would turn around & the floor would be covered again!

I agree the baking soda would be better than carpet fresh.  Maybe you can rent a carpet cleaner from walmart & clean your carpets like once a month or something!!

We have a Kirby vacuum, so when I do vacuum it gets up most of the hair, but I'm thinking we're going to have to steam clean the carpets soon. I'd love to block her off from the kitchen, but we have an open floor plan and it's impossible!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I feel the same way. With 3 dogs, a cat, and 5 adults... no matter what I do the floors seem to stay dirty. My BIL just doesn't seem to understand what I mean by "shoes off before coming in the house" or "make sure the dogs paws aren't muddy." Ugh. The knees of her pants look so dirty...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"