Postpartum Depression

4th Pregnancy & Feeling Blue

I have 3 great kids and love being a mom, but it's been a rough year financially and emotionally, and we were shocked to find out that we expecting a 4th baby. I've been feeling down throughout this pregnancy and am starting to feel as though it's something I can't manage on my own anymore. I experienced similar symptoms when I was pregnant with my 2nd and my OB prescribed me wellbutrin which worked well for me and I continued taking it until #2 was about 6 months old, and haven't had problems with depression until now. Last week I went to my OB and told him how I've been feeling, he basically told me to tough it out because of all the new class action law suits out there involving anti-depressents that have surfaced in recent years he will not prescribe any medication for me. He had no other advice for me and just kinda sent me on my way. It's hard for me to admit I might need help with anything, let alone something like this, so when he seemed not to care it bummed me out just a little more. 

Now I'm not sure what to do, any advice? 

Re: 4th Pregnancy & Feeling Blue

• You need to find yourself a new OB!  What he told you is absolutely unacceptable, especially considering the fact that you have a history of PPD.  I know how difficult it can be to admit that you might need help and this doctor should know as well.  Welbutrin has been on the market for a very long time and has been thoroughly researched and monitored; it is, without a doubt, one of the safest anti-depressants you can take while pregnant.  Your doctors response about lawsuits seems absolutely ridiculous, especially since his blowing you off creates a major liability for himself.  I don't know what he is thinking, but his judgement was seriously flawed on this issue.  If you are not comfortable switching OBs, then at least schedule an appointment with your regular doctor, make sure he has your medical records, and tell him what your OB said.  I promise you, a different doctor will advocate for you and come up with a treatment plan.

• imagekryssy:

You need to find yourself a new OB!  What he told you is absolutely unacceptable, especially considering the fact that you have a history of PPD.  I know how difficult it can be to admit that you might need help and this doctor should know as well.  Welbutrin has been on the market for a very long time and has been thoroughly researched and monitored; it is, without a doubt, one of the safest anti-depressants you can take while pregnant.  Your doctors response about lawsuits seems absolutely ridiculous, especially since his blowing you off creates a major liability for himself.  I don't know what he is thinking, but his judgement was seriously flawed on this issue.  If you are not comfortable switching OBs, then at least schedule an appointment with your regular doctor, make sure he has your medical records, and tell him what your OB said.  I promise you, a different doctor will advocate for you and come up with a treatment plan.

I agree!  Also, you might try therapy - I haven't had any success with it, but I've heard many success stories here.  It's another option to look into.  I would DEFINITELY find a new OB who listens to your concerns!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"