Multiples

Are exersaucers okay to use?

I have heard that exersaucers are bad for baby's development- specifically that they can cause hip dysplasia? I really want to find something to help me hold them up sometimes- as I am sick of laying them down with all of their reflux and flat head issues. As a Mom of twins, we all need an extra hand sometimes! :) Thanks

Re: Are exersaucers okay to use?

• We use the exersaucer and the jumperoo, but I really try to limit their time in them to 15-20 minutes per day. A pediatric physical therapist came and talked to the new mom group that I go to and she said that they are fine if used in moderation. 

I think some moms would just plop their babies in them for hours at a time, and that is bad because not only are you not giving them the tummy/floor time that they need in order to learn/explore, its also an unnatural position for them to be in for an extended period of time.

Whenever we have a babysitter, I tell her that I would prefer that she not use them. If I'm gonna use the exersaucer, its so that I can get some stuff done!!! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow I have never heard this!  My twins are in a fair amount a day - I would say for about 1 1/5 hours total, mostly because they seem to love it! Not because I need the time, cause a lot of the time I sit on the floor with them in it and play with them.  They grab for the toys that hang off of the saucer when they are on the floor.  I was under the impression they were great for leg development and posture development.  they have both started to learn cause and effect from them.  DD and DS spend a ton of time on the floor, DD is crawling already, DD is not, but close so I didn't think it was doing them harm.  Dr. checks for hip dysplasia every appointment (his check by testing their hip sockets) 

I am going to have to go off and research!!!  boo they have so much fun in them, I hope they aren't that bad!

• Loading the player...
  • I had my babies evaluated recently by Early Intervention to see if they were on track and the PT said that one exersaucer for them to share is fine.  She said that they shouldn't be in there for extended time periods anyway, so one is enough for all three of them.  They were found to be on track, so this limitation was not due to them specifically, but as a general suggestion.  They said no jumperoo.

The PT from our NICU also said no jumperoo either.  I believe the jumping is not supposed to be that great, but I'm not sure what it does development wise. Since both physical therapists said no jumperoos, we returned the one we recieved at our baby shower.

• Ditto the pp about using them in moderation. We had jumperoos, not exersaucers, but I tried to have the boys in them for no more than 20 mins at a time, or 30-40 mins a day.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • We don't use ours daily or even every other day, but when we do they're probably in there for no more than 30 minutes.  I've never heard that it's bad for them, they just start to fuss after 30ish minutes or so.  Jacob LOVES the jumperoo, he'll get so hyper in there and bounce like crazy.  I really should use it more because they really enjoy them (especially Jacob), I just usually forget about them.  We're taking all of the boys to the doctor in a few weeks and I'll have to ask him his opinion on the exersaucer/jumperoo.
  • We have one of each: exersaucer and jumperoo.  They are not in them long, as they prefer to play on the floor in their play are and roll/crawl around.  But Gracie loves the jumperoo and gets all hyper like Ausie's mom said and jump like crazy.  She loves it.  I have never heard of them being bad either.  I will have to ask the Dr at our next visit.    
  • Our ped said they're fine in moderation, after 9mos...something about letting them pull up, stand, be upright on their own before using things like this.

We also did a NICU follow up at 6mos.  They told us NOT to use exersaucers, bumbos, etc.  Ours were born at 33w4d, not sooo premature, but Audrey did have some hightone muscle issues.  Babies who are significantly premature are generally not supposed to use things like this.

But, if your LOs are old enough for this kind of activity, and no prematurity issues, then I can't see how a few min here and there would hurt.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Umm...how else am I supposed to go to the bathroom??? :)

Adric is big enough to sit in both (we have one of each) though he doesn't actually bounce, he just sits and plays.   Boden isn't big enough yet and doesn't have the strength to keep himself up.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"