Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

need help with constipation...

I just started DD on solids a week ago and just a few days ago she started getting constipated. She will cry and scream and make faces and try to get it out but only a little comes out. I know she is in pain. I tried bicycles and rubbing her belly in circles and it helped, but she was still in pain. Is there anything I can do to help my poor DD out?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: need help with constipation...

• Options

There are lots of things you can do.  I'm sure others will have a few more but here are some that come to mind.

Give fruits.  If your comfortable with the real deal vs pureed that's even better - more of the fiber is intact.

Give prune juice or apple juice (more liquid in the diet in general will be helpful).

Milk of Magnesia - it's what our pedi suggested I use if natural stuff didn't take care of it (confirm with your pedi) 

Cut back for a bit on the things giving her constipation - rice cereal, bananas, etc

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    We had some constipation when we first began solids but it settled down after 1-2 weeks. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pears or pear juice diluted.  It works and LO loves them!
  • Options
    We've had the same problem ever since starting solids.  I tried a few things...first I tried giving lots of prunes, at least one stage 2 each day.  Then I tried 2 oz of apple juice, and when that didn't work tried 2 oz a day of adult prune juice.  None of that helped for us :( I knew the cereal was what was backing him up, so now, after talking to the pedi, we just dropped cereal all together.  That finally did it!  She said once he's better I could try working a little back into his diet, so I did that recently, giving him half as much as we had been, and sure enough, he was backed up again immediately.  So I guess no cereal for us!  I would try any of the above things, and hopefully one will work for you! I know it sucks watching your LO struggle and struggle to go!
  • Options

If she's eatting bananas or rice cereal both of those are binding.  DD gets bound up with to much oatmeal as well, strange, so we dropped rice cereal all together and do oatmeal every 3-4 days.

Keep up with fruits, those help a lot.  Also prunes, and dd LOVES them. Either the straight prune puree or prunes with apples are both a big hit in this house.

My pedi suggested a few oz of water and kayo dark corn syrup, but she wouldn't drink that at all. 

Warm wash rag on the belly helps or a warm bath as well, to relax everything.  If she hasn't gone in a few days, look out for when she does go, there will be a lot and stinky!

GL.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If DD is backed up I mix a tablespoon of prune juice in her oatmeal.  And if it is really bad I will give her a bottle of pumped milk instead of nursing and add 1/2 oz of prune juice to it.  The prune juice bottle works like a charm.  She will always poop within the hour. GL!
  • Options

imageshenanigans10:
    Pears or pear juice diluted.  It works and LO loves them!

This. Prunes work too and my LO loves them. I swear LO didn't poop for 4 days once, and I gave him prunes and less than and hour later we had the explosion of the century. My LO likes to poop in the jumperoo for some reason...I think it get's things working. So try a combo of the pears or prunes, and the jumperoo. LOL! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"