Preemies

When did your preemie start sleeping through the night?

Did you do any type of sleep training?  Or just let it occur naturally?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When did your preemie start sleeping through the night?

• My LO was a VERY bad sleeper after coming home from the NICU and would only sleep when being held. We tried everything we could think of or that people recommended but nothing worked. Sleeping in his crib, on his own, just had to come in it's own time. Once it did, he tunred into a great sleeper. He started sleeping through the night at 6.5 months actual, 3 adjusted and now we are spoiled with sleep!  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD was also a terrible sleeper when we first came home - she would only sleep on her stomach (bad, I know!) or she would sleep in our arms.  We got the Fisher Price Rock n Play sleeper - and since getting that she started sttn almost immediately.  Maybe she was just ready then though?  She is 4.5 months old, and started STTN about 6-8 weeks ago?  Somewhere in there I think it was. 

I think all babies are different, and ready to sttn at different times.  I have heard before that once they reach about 12-13 pounds they may not need the night time feed as much.  

Good luck - I hope you get a full night sleep soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD was a good sleeper when she got home...she actually would have rather slept than ate...we usually had to wake her up for feedings. She started sleeping from 9pm-6am around 2 1/2 months actually. She is still a great sleeper!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i read healthy sleep habits happy child while ds was in the nicu. it was a lifesaver for when he came home! he started to sleep about 6-7 hours a night at 5 months old.

Rowen Alexander born 10 weeks early 1/28/07

www.4wquestions.blogspot.com
  • At first he struggled to sleep with his reflux, but once we got that under control (after 2 weeks) he adjusted and slept well on his side with his bed raised (and lots of meds!)

Andrew was (and still is) an amazing sleeper.  Actually I worried so much b/c he's sleep so long as a newborn (like 6+ hours during the day) and not feed. 

He was STTN (8 hours) when I went back to work at 6 weeks adjusted.  He was STTN 12 hours every night by 3 months adjusted. 

(note we were supposed to wake him every 4 at night, 3 during the day, but he was SO sleepy if we woke him he wouldn't eat anyway so we stopped waking him.)

• imageAviatorJJ:
    i read healthy sleep habits happy child while ds was in the nicu. it was a lifesaver for when he came home! he started to sleep about 6-7 hours a night at 5 months old.

ditto ditto ditto on this book.  AMAZING book.  If there's one thing I did right, that was it.

• DD sometimes sleeps through the night now. Our pedi told us we can let her go 6 hours max, but I only let her go 5. It was pretty freaky at first. I always wake up anyway, to check on her.

• I wasn't crazy about Healthy Sleep Habits, but I really liked Baby Whisperer and Happiest Baby on the Block. Those were great reads for us. DD had lots of reflux problems when we brought her home, which went undiagnosed for a bit (she had silent reflux). Once we got that under control, she started sleeping much better, but only in her swing. It did take a weeklong process to get her weaned off the swing. She started STTN once she hit 6lbs, I think it was Dec or Jan, so she was probably about 3 months old, 1.5 mos adjusted.  

• It was around 5 months. No sleep training. Eventually they started skipping feeds in the middle of the night and eating bigger bottles during the day.
    IVF #3 = ID Twin Boys TTC #3, June 2011 FET #1 m/c 9 Weeks, October FET #2 BFN, December FET #3 BFN, March FET #4 c/p, June FET #5 BFN, July FET #6 embie didn't survive the thaw IVF#4 September 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Identical twin boys born at 30 weeks 2 days due to HELLP
  • We did SleepEasy Solution to get us down to 1 night feeding at 9 months. We had an awful sleeper. DD consistently began to STTN at 14 months :)
  • Don't think I wanna share lol She has slept thru the nite since day 2 at being at home.  They told us to feed her every 4 hrs when she first came home and waking her was NOT fun.  But then again I have been told im real lucky. Now I have 2 feed her every 2 hrs during the day and can let her sleep thru the nite.  She is almost 8 mo but she is still "tiny" she isn't even on preemie chart shes 9 lbs 3 oz as of last week (Reflux issues)... Gl!
  • DH and I got really lucky, our LO started STTN a day shy of her 4 month birthday. She came home from the NICU the day after her 2 month birthday, and started off only waking up once a night after her midnight feeding(usually around 4 AM), and then sleeping until 9AM. We basically just let her dictate when she wanted to eat in the middle of the night rather than wake her up at a set time. She gradually started sleeping later and later until she slept straight through one morning until 8AM (I, of course, woke up in a panic and ran to make sure she was breathing!). After that she just continued doing it, so we modified her feeding schedule and she has been sleeping from 11PM until 8AM every night for the past month and a half now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"