Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

If you BLW or give a lot of table food...

I feel like I am stuck in the middle somewhere between purees and BLWing. 

He used to eat any veggie puree I gave him.  Now it is a struggle to get him to eat anything except sweet potato.  I can get it in him but it takes forever and he is really not into it.  Fruits, however, he will such down like they're going out of style. 

So I thought we would just get over the purees altogether and let him have at it with table foods.  He is pretty good with his grip and all the chewing.  I don't have issues at all there. But he just plays with it!!  He does get SOME food in him but after a short time he is more interested in babbling, blowing bubbles, and flinging it.  

So what now?  Do I resign myself that this whole solids thing is just for practice and not concern myself with him getting sooooo little ingested or try going back to the puree battle just because he gets the nutrients?  

Of course I guess I could just give him a truckload of fruit and forget the veggies and he would be happy.   Huh?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you BLW or give a lot of table food...

• Options

They get the nutrients they need from ff/bf.  Solid food isn't required, per se, for a while yet. 

Now, if you want something to try..... make sure you are giving at least 2-3 options at each meal.  Cheese, veg, meat.... give lots of options.  The smells, textures, temperatures will get the curiosity going and your LO will go for something!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Yeah, he is formula fed.  I'm thinking I may just try to add another bottle back in to compensate for the lessening of solids until he is more interested in the food rather than every. single. other. thing. around. him.  Stick out tongue

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I forgot to say....

I now have to set Ophelia's fruit aside until she has tried some of her other choices.  She is a fruit piggy and if she gets her peach or nectarine or plum first she will commence to slapping her tray and only begrudgingly eat anything else!  About 5 min into our meals she gets her fruit Stick out tongue

• Options
    imagediana.filipi:

I forgot to say....

I now have to set Ophelia's fruit aside until she has tried some of her other choices.  She is a fruit piggy and if she gets her peach or nectarine or plum first she will commence to slapping her tray and only begrudgingly eat anything else!  About 5 min into our meals she gets her fruit Stick out tongue

OMG 5 minutes!  I wish we could get that kind of appetite going.  We sit here for about 30 minutes and barely get two baby carrots and a couple little broccoli trees in him!!  I definitely hold off on the fruit or it is a no-go on everything else. He does like carbs... pasta, toast, puffs.  And dairy... cheese and yogurt.  But the veggie thing is my big issue. 

And I totally know he isn't needing this food to live on.  It is just a nagging paranoia that I am failing him as a mom because he won't eat his vegetables ! LOL.  

• Options
    imageWonderJess:
    imagediana.filipi:

I forgot to say....

OMG 5 minutes!  I wish we could get that kind of appetite going.  We sit here for about 30 minutes and barely get two baby carrots and a couple little broccoli trees in him!!  I definitely hold off on the fruit or it is a no-go on everything else. He does like carbs... pasta, toast, puffs.  And dairy... cheese and yogurt.  But the veggie thing is my big issue. 

And I totally know he isn't needing this food to live on.  It is just a nagging paranoia that I am failing him as a mom because he won't eat his vegetables ! LOL.  

Ahhhhhhhh.......okay.....now I have something more productive to say! :-) RELAX.  BLW or even just a lot of finger foods should be about self-discovery and fun.  Do whatever it takes for you to back off and let the food eating happen at your LOs pace.  Have your LO be done with his meal at the same time you are.  If you are stressing and trying to wait 'till food has been consumed your stress gets through and could be associated with the whole process.  

If you need to give another ff bottle or do one meal of purees or whatever would make you be okay letting this one thing go at baby's pace do it and you will be happier.

That's just my opinion Big Smile

• Options
    imagediana.filipi:

I forgot to say....

I do this with fruit, too. If I don't, she won't try anything else. My daughter is almost 9 months, and I still don't think she consumes a lot of solid food. I don't worry about it at all. All her nutritional needs are met through FF and BM. She definitely is getting more than she used to, though. She'll put everything in her mouth and chew it, but a lot of the time she can't swallow the piece and it ends up on her bib. This is progress. I'm sure that before too long she'll be able to mash those bites into bits she can swallow. I really look at most mealtimes as play / practice.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Heh... thanks... I know you are right!  I just needed someone to slap me and tell me to cut it out!  I am a perfectionist and have trouble letting go when things are going "right". I'll be good now, I promise.  Embarrassed

• Options
    imageLeap08:
    imagediana.filipi:

I forgot to say....

I do this with fruit, too. If I don't, she won't try anything else. My daughter is almost 9 months, and I still don't think she consumes a lot of solid food. I don't worry about it at all. All her nutritional needs are met through FF and BM. She definitely is getting more than she used to, though. She'll put everything in her mouth and chew it, but a lot of the time she can't swallow the piece and it ends up on her bib. This is progress. I'm sure that before too long she'll be able to mash those bites into bits she can swallow. I really look at most mealtimes as play / practice.

I've posted on the FB BLW page about my concern.  Ophelia will eat damn near anything I give her (except pickled beets and green beans?).  I was starting to worry that I was over-feeding her!  I have cut back on how much of each choice she gets because hardly any of it ends up on the floor or her lap any more (to our dogs disappointment).

• Options
    I so could have written this post!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"