Orange County Babies
Options

hi i'm hopping over from parenting>35 with a question

hi ladies, i'm going to be in the O.C. this weekend to visit my sis (well actually she's LA county) I used to live in the O.C. but havent been there for about 10 years.  i can't remember which of the beaches is most family friendly.  is balboa island still ok or is it run down. i remember there used to be a carousel and bumper cars and shops restaraunts (sp?)

we used to go to Huntington and Newport all the time. but i dont remember which pier had stores/food places on it.  i used to roller blade from huntington pier to newport. (if i tried that now i'd probably keel over. lol)

i need one that is stroller friendly.  i think i remember newport had a good sidewalk that went pretty far up to the water.

please help.  my mommy brain has taken over.  my sister usually goes to newport or bolsa chica but she has a 5 year old. my baby is almost 3 months.

TIA

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: hi i'm hopping over from parenting>35 with a question

• Options

Hi, I'm usually on PA35, but decided to check in here today for some reason.  It's been very slow around here lately.  Hopefully one of the other girls will answer, since I honestly never go to the beach, but DD and her nanny usually go down to Newport to play in the sand.  Newport pier has some stores and restaurants, ice cream, etc., and so does Huntington, and I do remember that sidewalk you are talking about at Newport, even though I haven't been down there since I was pregnant.

Balboa isn't run down, it's still nice, but the parking can be a pain.

• Options

I love Laguna Beach. Its very mellow and clean. The main area near Broadway is small, with lots of shops and places to eat. Totally stroller friendly.

I don't really like Balboa, but its probably just me!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with Luckiest13 Laguna Beach is stroller friendly. Hunting Beach too but busy with tourist right now. Balboa has a different vibe then when I was growing up. It is still nice but there is a different vibe to it, different people and perhaps more drugs. Crystal Cove, Newport Coast and Corona Del Mar is much, much nicer and not too far away from Balboa Island.
  • Options
    Sounds like you may be confusing Balboa Island with Balboa Peninsula. The Island is great, super kid friendly, etc. Small bay beaches, lots of stroller walk, etc. Parking can be tough. Across the bay is the peninsula, which has the ferris wheel, etc. Bigger beach, more crowded, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagecstw:
    Sounds like you may be confusing Balboa Island with Balboa Peninsula. The Island is great, super kid friendly, etc. Small bay beaches, lots of stroller walk, etc. Parking can be tough. Across the bay is the peninsula, which has the ferris wheel, etc. Bigger beach, more crowded, etc.

Ah!  I was definitely thinking about the Island in my answer.

• Options

Actually, I just had lunch this past weekend at MamaD's and spent some time in the peninsula with K and my mom and it was beautiful. Totally kid friendly. We walked to the pier and there were several other parents just having picnics and such, I take my comment back!

I think the my previous experiences with Balboa were at night and I'm totally turned off by the bars there now! :-)

• Options

Actually, I just had lunch this past weekend at MamaD's and spent some time in the peninsula with K and my mom and it was beautiful. Totally kid friendly. We walked to the pier and there were several other parents just having picnics and such, I take my comment back!

I think the my previous experiences with Balboa were at night and I'm totally turned off by the bars there now! :-)

• Options

I
  • Options

I think the my previous experiences with Balboa were at night and I'm totally turned off by the bars there now! :-) I think I'm just getting old.

• Options
    Holy cow! Not sure what happened there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"